Used 2005 Chevrolet Classic Sedan Consumer Reviews - 33 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Chevrolet Classic Sedan Consumer Reviews

Fleet 2.2L 4-cyl. 4-speed Automatic - (33 reviews )

Good A to B transportation
By Bret

2005 Chevrolet Classic Sedan Fleet 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

This is an A to B car, pure and simple. It does not handle well, it is put together rather cheaply. But it WILL get you from point A to B, relatively comfortably, with low maintenance costs and therefor low cost of ownership. Not much to go wrong with it, like a caddy. A lot of plastic, especially in body components. Headlight assembly is terrible. Who ever engineered that should be dragged out in the street and shot. Same for taillight assembly. 2.2L with K&N provides better acceleration, but its slow. Good tires, such as MIchelin Defender, provide marked increase in ride quality and responsiveness. Overall, its a good cheap to own car. Period.

My Cladsic
By A Battle

2005 Chevrolet Classic Sedan Fleet 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

It used to run good but I have been having so many electrical problems. My back lights do not work. The lights on the inside dash do not work. This car cannot be driven at night. Fuses burn out fast carpet bunches up in front. I will have to spend a fortune if I want to keep it because no one will offer a good price for trade plus I have bought two fuel pumps. Wish I new about car before I bought it.

Pretty darn good for a cheap car!!
By sailinorth

2005 Chevrolet Classic Sedan Fleet 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

Well, I had the 2005 Malibu Classic for 9 years with no big complaints. I bought it December 05 with 26k miles on it and sold it with 120k miles on it 9 years later. Little issues of course, but for the money I paid back then I can't complain at all. Had to disconnect the safety cable between the ignition and the gear shifter as it would stick and not allow me to take the key out of the ignition because the key thought it was still in gear. Had to replace the A/C buttons as bad connection there makes it so the A/C would not turn on or engage. Ended up replacing 2 motor mounts - very expensive! Other than that only regular maint over the 9 years. Drove as a typical cheap car no comfort.

Most reliable car I've ever had
By guitfiddle07

2005 Chevrolet Classic Sedan Fleet 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I believe most of these cars were either rentals or government fleet vehicles.
I believe mine was a rental. At any rate, I have 165,000 miles on it and I put about 40,000 a year on it.
I put new brakes on once, wiper motor and new tires.
Replaced the serpentine belt as preventative maintenance and that's about it.
They are not very fun to drive and handle like a boat after the suspension ages (not something I care about), but it is a great dependable car that is cheap to maintain.
I will buy one for each of my kids when they are old enough.

UPDATE:
Traded the car at 190,000 toward a newer van. I still will get another one when my kids drive. Really miss this car.

I hate this car
By kennedn

2005 Chevrolet Classic Sedan Fleet 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car in 2006 with only 13,000 miles on it and it has been a nightmare.
The first year I had to replace the brakes.
There is a short in the system and I have been stranded more than once.
I have had to replace the fuel pump twice and the transmission went out at 60,000 miles.
Right now the car is parked because it will not start again, due to the short in the system.
I am having problems even getting anyone to take it as a trade in.
I will never buy another Chevy again after this experience.

I do love the look of the car and it is comfortable. It was a nice car to drive and got decent gas mileage, when it ran that is.