Used 1998 Chevrolet Blazer Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used Blazer for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

I call mine "Old Reliable"

johnnyt3, 06/12/2013
LS 4dr SUV 4WD

My father got this car when it was about a year old. It's the LS model, so it's got pretty much all the options. Dad was a careful driver, so after more than a decade when he gave it to me, it had about 137K miles, but had been maintained meticulously. In the two years that I have have it, the only issues I have had were typical Blazer issues of the wiper circuit board, the recline handles breaking off, and the bushings on the door hinges wearing out. The only other "serious" issue was the alternator dying at about 140K miles. The replacement was easy, as I did it myself at a cost of $90 and less than an hour of labor.

People need to learn how to drive!

cobrabas1983, 09/08/2012
LS 4dr SUV 4WD

My dad and i have owned a 1998 Chevy Blazer since 2003, bought it with just over 60,000 miles on it. It has been the best truck we have ever owned, other than wear and tear items we have not had to replace anything major. It currently has 142000 + miles and it is running like a champ with many years to go. If people would take care of their cars they wouldnt have much to bitch about, i just had to change the ORIGIONAL ball joints and some other bushings at 140000! Brakes, tires and other wear items are not the cars fault its the way people drive! I have towed cars, boats, and my landscape trailer with my blazer with out fail for 9 years.

Better then expected

Rooster, 03/13/2007
LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought mine with 115,000 on it, changed the shocks right away but since then I've had no problems what-so-ever. Started every morning through the Minneasota winter, heated up just fine and the 4 wheel drive was a blessing. I'm just starting to see a little rust on the rear bumper but thats an easy fix. It could be a bit more comfortable ride but I have a bad back and for a SUV it's not bad at all. Over all for the price I can't complain.

1998 Chevy Blazer LS 4WD 2 door (4.3L)

Bill Smith, 12/08/2015
LS 2dr SUV 4WD

Its not that bad of a truck. I haven't had the best experience with this truck because of the lack of maintenance by the previous owner. I know most of the blazers don't have my problems. But a common problem for the blazers has happened to mine which would be the levers on the seats. Truck is like a beater truck. Engages into 4WD and works great but has problems coming out. Engine is pretty strong. Takes off pretty quick for a 6 cylinder. Makes all kinds of squeaking noises and rear is ready to go. Had to put a new A/C system in the truck including a right-rear axle seal bearing. Like i said the previous owner did not take care of it and abused it. So most blazers most likely will not have this problem. If this truck wasn't abused like it was i would feel strong about the truck. But any vehicle that you abuse will be messed up.

Love/Hate Relationship

CButte, 04/22/2005
LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I don't know where to begin. Our Blazer has taken us deep into the back woods on 4WD trails, to the top of many 14,000' mountain peaks, and has always managed to get us home. With that said, it has also been the most unreliable, frustrating vehicle we've owned. Purchased used w/50k 4 years ago, it has required the following in the last 40k miles: Transmission, lwr ball joints, axle shaft, several seals, intake manifold gasket, pwr window motor, 4WD actuator, O2 sensor, rotors, etc. It has also suffered from the following common Blazer issues: Dexcool sludge requiring multiple flushes so the heater would work, multi-function switch gremlins, ghost- wipers & leaking oil filter lines.

Avoid this year and model at all costs!

carols, 06/05/2008
LT 4dr SUV 4WD

Despite low annual mileage, it has been a repair disaster. I've repladed lower intake manifold gaskets, ruise control cable (2005), multi-function switch replace (controls signalling) (2005), replaced heater core, rear window wiper control, and leaking power steering pump (2005). The shop owners said this year was very well known for a design problem that leads heater core to fill with engine junk, eventually leading to failure of heating system; it was redesigned later models. Replace front/rear differntials in transfer case (2006), replaced valve cover gaskets, failed a/c compressor (2006) and replaced leaking water pump (2007) and now a failed ball joint (2008).

98 blazer bought used

SSweet9C1, 03/08/2004
LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased my 1998 blazer LS 4 door 4WD used last january (04) with 100,000 miles on it, it had new brakes (rotors and pads) and new ball joints.. since then i have done nothing to it other than normal maintenance and it is a pleasure to drive. excellent stopping power and reasonable acceleration VS fuel mileage

Update to Old Reliable

Old Reliable, 05/11/2006
4dr SUV

Old Reliable now has 114,500 miles and still no major problems only routine stuff like battery and oil and filter changes. Had a tune up at 90K although vehicle was running fine. I finally had to have to rear brakes done at 95K but the fronts are still OK and original! Replaced tires at 84K although tread was adequate but with rainy weather coming bought Goodyear Aqua Tred 3. Great tires! Recently got 23 mpg on trip to Jacksonville, Fl and back. Paint and interior still looks great (garage kept) and no other complaints. Believe it or not this is probably the most reliable vehicle I have owned including Nissan, Toyota and Accura.

i keep it cuz its paid for

big jim, 05/10/2008
LT 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought in 2000,4 months later transmission broke. Did fine until 02 when the alternator went out, 03 fuel pump, 05 new rotors and window motor, seat adjust handle broke, ball joints went bad, yada yada yada. Overall decent a-b car but I don't trust it for long trips. Now has 143,000 miles and the engine is still pretty good just the overall integrity of it is not so good. But like I said its paid for and stil running so ill run it till it dies since I wouldn't get what its worth trading in or selling it.

Just Okay

afj21, 04/04/2011
LS 4dr SUV

I decided that after owning a 1998 Chevrolet Blazer LS for 10 years I should write a review on it. I purchased it in 2001 with 36K, AFTER the warranty expired at 60K , the car became a money pit. I called Chevy to see if they would assist me to no avail, the car was nickel and diming me to death. Drivers seat lever, all mirrors, passenger seat wouldn't lock in place, power windows quit working, rear hatch hydraulic lift levers, distributor (2X), heater core, new radiator, shocks (2X), chewed tons of brake pads and the check engine light on for Trans slippage for about 45K miles (which I refused to fix) Only after everything was fixed twice did it run up to 210K miles. Glad its gone.

Good Camping Vehicle

Anonymous, 12/08/2010
LS 4dr SUV

I purchased this Blazer in 2008 (with 55,000 actual miles) to take camping and on long trips. I also own a 1999 Blazer two-door which was a trick to pack with tents, gazebos, coolers, and supplies for camping trips. This vehicle has tons of room for 2 of us and all our stuff. We looked at newer vehicles, and most of them do not hold nearly as much. The seats are not as comfortable as the 2-door, the ride is rougher, and it is a bit like a barge with respect to tight turns, but as a utility and camping vehicle - I have no major complaints.

Indy Blazer

OurlivesforHim, 10/01/2002
LT 4dr SUV 4WD

After owning a 96 a few years back, this 98 is vastly better! Gotta love the 5.7 based 4.3 V6. Rock solid power, and it comes on so strong so early. This used beauty is Bright Red, and had only 55K miles. Sharp as a tack, and the interior has held up wonderfully.

Old Reliable

Bill, Chris & Debbie, 02/09/2003
LS 4dr SUV

I know that others may have had some issues with their Blazers but we have had nothing but routine maintenance and total reliability. Heck, even the original equipment tires look like they could go another 20K miles and they already have run 62K miles. Nothing but kudos for our Blazer!

Never GM again

LemonAid, 02/18/2003
LT 4dr SUV 4WD

This car was a huge disappointment. I bought it very excited. It was nice on the outside and the inside was great. I was extremely happy and loved my Blazer, for about a month. Then the problems came. One after another. I bought the car with only 36k on it, and brought it back to the dealer again and again and again etc.. Problems ranging from switches, seats, blower motor, oil leaking, heater core, water pump, etc. Problem was not always fixed after the 1st, 2nd, or even 3rd time I brought it back to the dealer.

98 Blazer review

gmorris, 02/24/2003
LT 4dr SUV 4WD

The car has been very reliable, starting emediately. I had to have to 4 wheel drive worked on because I did not use for over a year. I now try to put it into 4 wheel drive at least 2 times a month. It has been working well. It still feels "tight" after over 88,000 miles and uses no oil. I'm using Amsoil 10-30 and changing oil yearly. Oil still looks almost new after 15000 miles.

No more Blazers for me

No More Blazers, 02/22/2004
LS 4dr SUV 4WD

This SUV has been nothing but trouble. In addition to lots of small things (three horn relays, transmission seals bad at 40,000 miles, etc.) I just foudn out that I need a new transmission and oil coolant lines. I trading in this piece of junk for a foreign car. I'll never buy another Chevrolet again and will be sure to tell everyone I know about the poor quality and even poorer service that I received from Chevy.

Love My Truck

GWEN, 08/23/2006
LS 4dr SUV

I love driving my truck. It took 8 years for any major repair. Fuel pump, rear end bearing, brakes, water pump. Cost $4000 to fix, but I have not found another truck or any vehicle that I would rather have. I get 20 mpg.

If you can keep it running, its great!

indy mom, 09/03/2005
LS 4dr SUV 4WD

The Blazer has a lot of interior room & is easy to drive (when it is not being worked on). 4WD works great; however, engine uses environmentally friendly (orange colored) coolant, which historically causes problems with the gaskets - I ended up dropping a new engine in it at 90,000 miles & now the computer is history at (110,000 miles). Good luck.

Solid First Vehicle

ncergnul, 05/08/2013
LS 4dr SUV

This car is a beast! I got this from my father 5 years ago. It has 170,000 miles and I have only had minor problems with it. They are known to leak oil but it wasn't too expensive of a fix. About 4 years ago I rolled my Blazer and had a lot of cosmetic damage as well as a few minor engine problems that we my own fault. It has ran perfectly since though. Great first car!

1998 Ls 4x4 Blazer

Caleb V, 04/25/2008
LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I have owned my Blazer over a year, when I bought it, it needed a starter, changed that myself, around 77,000 the water pump barley started to leak, had that changed, other than that only standard maintainece including oil changes, trans flush, cooling flush, sterring linkage lubrication, breaks and rotors,and performance parts. Flowmaster exhaust, K&N intake. its a great truck and I love driving it. I plan on driving it till it dies (a long way off yet, at 80000 mi ). I also do some off roading, including trail riding and mudding and its never got me stuck or let me down yet. The large v6 could put out a little more horse power though, however I wouldn't want to sacrifice fuel economy

BAD EGG

dkm5, 06/29/2011
4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this vehicle for a mail delivery vehicle in 2008. The rear end went out not long after purchase. Front end ball joints went out twice, A/C compressor leaked, driver window motor quit, mirrors fell off, ABS didn't work right (brakes worked better after taking out the fuse for the ABS). Fixed heater core and then it clogged up again 6 mo later. Found out I could make it through the winter by just blowing it out with a water hose (don't buy new heater core). The engine leaked water out of the intake and it is now going to the crusher ASAP.

AVOID IF ALL ELSE POSSIBLE

roger721, 04/01/2012
LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased my 1998 Chevy Blazer LS as a lease return fall of 1999 to replace my trusty 1986 Chevy Caprice sedan w 240K (bought in 1988 W/12K) and a unbelievable reliable '70 Impala before that since 1972! Week after at the the Blazer purchase, I smelled burning oil and checked underneath and oil was dripping everywhere. Bad oil sending unit, replaced at dealer with deductible I had to pay. Within 2 weeks later oil leak again, this time oil cooler lines. 4 months later, gear selector,odometer lights go out and then wheel bearing. Last straw, going through car wash, windshield started pouring in water. Cut my losses,got rid of it. Bought a Honda CRV w/20k and 120K later not 1 problem!

Poor Engineering and Build Quality!!!

NOMORECHEVYS, 03/18/2004
LS 4dr SUV 4WD

Horrific ride but the worst thing is its POOR OVERALL QUALITY! Things that shouldn't leak @ 50K do; oil lines, front differential etc... And worse yet, stuff that shouldn't "ever" break (even if its sitting in a junkyard), does; door handles, seat adjustment knobs & levers. Not to mention, all the ball joints needing replacement before 50K. In fact, I'm surprised the engineers that designed this piece of CRAP can sleep at night. No wait, it's the Japanese who intentionally build in quality, right? I should have expected this from GM--needless to say, I sold mine and will be reading and believing these reviews "before" buying my next vehicle.

Junk

It's got the gm quality and reliability

98 Blazer - Mine is a lemon

Pamela Mann, 06/24/2002
4dr SUV

Rear suspension problems from month one. Local dealer could/would not fix to my satisfaction and would not assist with further investigation. They did admit to suspension problem but did nothing to permanently solve the problem. Many additional shakes and rattles in car body and engine. I have since moved and received 200% better service from Team Chevrolet in Alpharetta Georgia. (although I still think the car is a lemon).

ok i suppose

chaddd, 03/31/2012
LS 4dr SUV

just got from relative in houston, has engine issues=fuel, trans, did wires, service trans,fuel filter, still runs crappy no power, just learned =code=lean all banks=mass airflow sensor= kindy expensive part= current mileage 189,000 also has rear wiper issues not worky right.

Good little SUV

Dman, 06/18/2008
LS 2dr SUV 4WD

I own the ZR2 off road package Blazer. I would have to say it's the best looking compact SUV ever made and it's the LS so it has the nice over head screen and a power seat and power door locks and power windows and a alarm. I haven't owned it for too long but it runs fine and it has over 107,000 miles on it

Love My Blazer

Kara, 07/21/2008
LT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my Blazer as a 1st car, and I love it. I don't like the gas mileage, but everything else is amazing. I've been in a few ditches, and it gets right out. It's good with me being rough on a vehicle. Now I have 75000 mls on it, and it keeps going! I'd recommend a Blazer to any new driver, aka teenagers. It's safe and reliable in the winter, and fun to drive. It's also fun for camping. Just pile it full of things and off we go! Last, for those of you interested in subwoofers, the sound is amazing in it. Buy the cheapest and they will still sound amazing. This SUV is built for quality.

Great Blazer!

MakeYourselfSD, 05/06/2002
LS 4dr SUV 4WD

This car is great. Great styling, comfortable interior and a strong engine, there isn't much more you can ask for. Aside from the Transmission Rebuild I had to get at 81,500 miles due to a broken sealent, this car has been flawless in its service & realiability. This car is always ready to go and get the job done.

Problems ahead

mrh, 05/23/2002
LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this vehicle 2 years ago and have had nothing, but problems. So has everyone else that I've met. I only have 57,000 miles on it too. I've had to replace the mass air flow sensor, the oil cooling lines, the transmission seal, rotor and brakes at 35,000 miles, there is water on the floor coming from somewhere, and the climate controls won't blow on the floor anymore. Being as tall as I am it isn't very comfortable to travel in.

LoveMYBlazer

LoveMyBlazer, 06/04/2002
LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this car from a dealer with 10,000 miles on it. I never had a problem until I had to have the transmission rebuilt at 87,000 miles. But I had towed some rather heavy loads, and it never left me stranded just started shifting funny. I then replaced the alternator at about 102,000 miles and had a tune-up done at the same time. It now has 112,000 and is still going strong. I love this vehicle, but will need to sell it because I got married and my husband has a farm and we need a heavy duty pickup.

Perfect 1st TEEN car

justin, 06/16/2009
LS 4dr SUV 4WD

Produces a decent amount of power from the 4.3L v6. It pumps out about 190hp, perfect for a teenage driver. Plus with the 4X4, it makes a pretty good off-road SUV. Pretty bad gas mileage The 4 doors are very convenient. And the big v6 gives it plenty of passing power. The cheap material for the interior rattles sometimes when you go on bumpy surfaces. And because its a Chevy, its gonna be in the shop alot if you drive it hard. I woulnt pay more than $6000 for a used Blazer. Its a good teen SUV, but thats about it.

I wish I had this car brand new

Tina, 04/01/2010
4dr SUV 4WD

I bought the car used with 110 k and put new tranny in @ 115,000 k. It's needed front end work pretty much regularly. Ball joints, etc etc. The 4X4 is great! I got really good gas mileage until the fuel pump went out, now it's the standard 16 mpg.(was getting about 21mpg before!) The interior has nice luxury features. My favorite being the auto shut off of any light or anything plugged into the charger so the battery doesn't die. Blazer now has 150,000 plus miles and the radiator is rusted all the way through to heating coils etc. Have really had limited problems and been very reliable considering the lack of upkeep on maintenance due to financial difficulty.

Keeper!

BlazerFan, 06/27/2002
LS 4dr SUV

We bought this vehicle used - it had been a lease and was well-cared for. It has taken me cross-country and back as well as around town errands with absolutely no problems. We love this car and would like to keep it till the wheels fall off.

Definitely NOTa Ford

pitts666, 07/30/2002
LS 4dr SUV 4WD

Out of all of the SUV'S available, I believe the Blazer is best value for your money. I have had the opportunity to drive or ride in most that are available and the Blazer seems to be most comfortable. A few friends (Ford Owners- Sorry 'bout that) have commented on the comfort and power of my Blazer when pulling the boat or trailer. They were a bit impressed as they were comparing their experiences with their Fords and Toyotas.

Nice looking cool vehicle when it runs

Glenn from Greentown, 08/27/2002
LS 4dr SUV 4WD

Best thing about this vehicle is the cup holder, and it's too small. I've had nothing but problems with the suspension, alignment, and the computerized engine controlls. I had a perfectly good Ford Ranger pickup with 2WD, but wanted something with 4WD. I traded "up" to a newer and better vehicle??? Yeah, right. The Chevy dealer has no problem charging money to fix it, but the only part of the transaction that gets completed is me paying - no fixing involved.

Don't waste your money

Dan in MN, 09/06/2002
2dr SUV 4WD

This vehicle has more rattles and squeaks than imaginable. The plastic interior has a very poor fit and finish. After I hit 38,000 miles I had to replace my power steering pump, universal joints, and fuel pump. One morning there was oil on my grarage floor and I found out I had to replace all of the oil lines. I had to have my doors adjusted because I had to lift them to close. We finally removed the spare tire because the weight of carrier & tire bent the right side quarter panel. The car doens't drive straight even after it has been aligned multiple times. I finally sold the vehicle w/ 52,000 miles because the maintenance was killing me.

Best Buy SUV with comfort in its class

Bobay, 09/13/2002
LT 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased the top of the line 98 blazer LT model with leather and loved its comfort and room. In fact it was too much room for a single bachelor but I took 2 - 1000 mile trips that seemed easy. I sold it only because I needed better gas mileage for driving to work.

Booorrrinnngggg

ibngneer, 09/13/2002
LT 4dr SUV 4WD

This is your grandfathers SUV. Or at least it was mine. It's function, yet extremely boring. Corners like a boat, rides (floats) like a Buick.

Squeaky

Mike in MN, 10/21/2002

good 4x4 squeaky interior

Iain's Review

iaind, 10/30/2002
LT 4dr SUV 4WD

Always starts and goes. Needed new brake rotors all round after 40000 miles and a new battery shortly after. Door speakers replaced due woofer blown.No other problems. Very comfortable with leather seats, I can't see the complaint about the rear seats - they feel just fine for me. Driving ondeeply rutted off-road tracks may set up an oscillation of the shocks/rear suspension but generally effective drive ability in 2&4 WD. Corners well enough if required.

Don't know whether to sell or not

Calgary's Own, 11/06/2002
2dr SUV 4WD

I bought my Blazer with 36000 km on it . The reason I choose it was I am 6' 5" and was the only vehicle I found comfortable. I just hit 70000 km. the lever to slide the front seats busted. then the rear windshield wipper The front windshield wippers are now intermittent. Then the horn. The nickle and dime stuff is now adding up but it doesn't look like I can trade it in and even get enough money to cover what I still owe on it.

You would think for free I would like it

Anonymous, 04/22/2002
LT 4dr SUV 4WD

I got my '98 Blazer for FREE so you would think I would be thrilled, right? Wrong. It is designed and built poorly. 3 mechanic visits in 6 months for various problems at $400 each. One to replace the serpentine belt, the others were for an oil leak and a transmission fluid leak. It is good in snow, does poorly on dirt trails and is only so-so on the sand. There is very little ground clearance for a 4WD. Tremendous amount of body roll and gobbles gas. Not fun to drive at all. Good for long trips. I am planning on trading it in for a foreign car/truck. My last American car was a '72 GMC Jimmy, which was more fun by far. I am going to wait another few decades before giving GM another chance.

Blazer works

LKing, 11/13/2002
LS 4dr SUV 4WD

Overall satisfied with the package. Does well towing a ski boat and running through the snow. Although the turning radius needs to be shortened. I have had to get the main computer replaced on 3 different occasions though. I think most of it had to do with the MTBE in the Ca gas. The MTBE also destroyed my fuel injectors. All was under warrenty at no charge. Chevy sent a notice out warning consumers of the MTBE within 6 months of purchase. I am glad I kept that letter!

Transmission Trouble

donmac, 02/21/2003
LS 4dr SUV 4WD

Warranty was 3 yr./60m km. At3 1/2 yr. and 65m km. the transmission blew with no warning. Because I had no problems for 3 yr. I didn't buy extended warranty for Can.$2400. It cost me Can.$3600 to replace it. Seals let go and were chewed up. I now have 85m km. and do not trust that I won't have something else go.

Great Comfort, Terrible Workmanship

mlpaper, 06/11/2003
LS 2dr SUV 4WD

While I enjoyed what the SUV offered in comfort, size, and handling, I was disappointed in the quality. Beginning at 3,000 miles, we had the following replaced, speedometer, windshield wiper motor, power chair, handle to recline passenger seat, heating vents (had to remove the dashboard), compass, and rear tire mount handle, among other items. We had problems with the differential fluid leaking, the radiator leaking, and now the heater core. Most of these items were covered under the warranty, but the aggravation and time spent at the dealership were not. While I will always own an SUV, I will never buy another Chevy.

GM should listen

Roberto, 07/17/2003
LS 4dr SUV 4WD

Had an '86 Blazer for 14 years and was great. This one is a major disappointment. Can relate to many of the problems expressed here including replaced multifunction switch, oil lines, idler arm/tie rod joints, torsion bars causing vehicle to lean, engine pings, A/C leaks, air bag light comes on intermittently, rear hatch leaks, etc.

Relatively happy with the vehicle.

HowardBl, 08/31/2003
LT 4dr SUV 4WD

All in all, I've had this vehicle since late 1997, and haven't had too much grief with it... It goes through an idler arm every 20K miles (I'm going on #5), but that's to be expected when you get a car ride on a truck frame. Had to replace a master cylinder and torn seat leather under warranty. After warranty needed new brake booster (a pain to install, but did myself) for $200, $30 belt tensioner, new shocks all around, rotors only once and eventually will need a new fuel sending unit. Really can't complain... gave me lots of dependable service including some off- road and emergency responses.

the one

David R, 07/19/2003
LT 4dr SUV 4WD

other than wiper motor i love everything about my blazer. its comfortable to drive,its roomy and a blast to drive

51050