Used 1998 Chevrolet Blazer Consumer Reviews - 82 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Chevrolet Blazer Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Blazer model:

Yup there good
By Ghost rider

1998 Chevrolet Blazer 4dr SUV 4WD

All around great vehicle if you take care of them.

1998 Chevy Blazer LS 4WD 2 door (4.3L)
By Bill Smith

1998 Chevrolet Blazer LS 2dr SUV 4WD

Its not that bad of a truck. I haven't had the best experience with this truck because of the lack of maintenance by the previous owner. I know most of the blazers don't have my problems. But a common problem for the blazers has happened to mine which would be the levers on the seats. Truck is like a beater truck. Engages into 4WD and works great but has problems coming out. Engine is pretty strong. Takes off pretty quick for a 6 cylinder. Makes all kinds of squeaking noises and rear is ready to go. Had to put a new A/C system in the truck including a right-rear axle seal bearing. Like i said the previous owner did not take care of it and abused it. So most blazers most likely will not have this problem. If this truck wasn't abused like it was i would feel strong about the truck. But any vehicle that you abuse will be messed up.

I call mine "Old Reliable"
By johnnyt3

1998 Chevrolet Blazer LS 4dr SUV 4WD

My father got this car when it was about a year old.
It's the LS model, so it's got pretty much all the options.
Dad was a careful driver, so after more than a decade when he gave it to me, it had about 137K miles, but had been maintained meticulously.
In the two years that I have have it, the only issues I have had were typical Blazer issues of the wiper circuit board, the recline handles breaking off, and the bushings on the door hinges wearing out.
The only other "serious" issue was the alternator dying at about 140K miles.
The replacement was easy, as I did it myself at a cost of $90 and less than an hour of labor.

For me, the truck has been ultra-reliable. It will start up first time, every time. Transmission has been solid. Engine has always run strong and smooth and there are no leaks whatsoever. A/C needed a recharge once ($25 can at the auto parts store), but stayed charged going on two years now. Full array of options and plenty of room. I love my Blazer.

Solid First Vehicle
By ncergnul

1998 Chevrolet Blazer LS 4dr SUV

This car is a beast! I got this from my father 5 years ago. It has 170,000 miles and I have only had minor problems with it. They are known to leak oil but it wasn't too expensive of a fix. About 4 years ago I rolled my Blazer and had a lot of cosmetic damage as well as a few minor engine problems that we my own fault. It has ran perfectly since though. Great first car!

Solid!

People need to learn how to drive!
By cobrabas1983

1998 Chevrolet Blazer LS 4dr SUV 4WD

My dad and i have owned a 1998 Chevy Blazer since 2003, bought it with just over 60,000 miles on it.
It has been the best truck we have ever owned, other than wear and tear items we have not had to replace anything major.
It currently has 142000 + miles and it is running like a champ with many years to go.
If people would take care of their cars they wouldnt have much to bitch about, i just had to change the ORIGIONAL ball joints and some other bushings at 140000!
Brakes, tires and other wear items are not the cars fault its the way people drive!
I have towed cars, boats, and my landscape trailer with my blazer with out fail for 9 years.