Used 2005 Chevrolet Astro Minivan Consumer Reviews - 17 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Chevrolet Astro Minivan Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Astro model:

Chevy Astro Van is awesome!
By Compass360

2005 Chevrolet Astro Minivan Rwd 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

Bought my 2005 Astro cargo van years ago, it now has almost 200,000 miles on it and it's still going strong. This van handles the road excellently, anti-lock brakes are very quick to respond and it will stop on a dime! It's braking power has rescued me several times now. It has handled great in all weather conditions, rain/snow/sleet. Love the roomy cargo space, it never lets me down when I need to haul a load. Bucket seats are very comfortable, but I wish the instruments were in easier reach. Overall my Astro has been a a very reliable and strong little powerhouse.

Does Well for what it was designed for
By Al

2005 Chevrolet Astro Minivan Rwd 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

Okay, so I have only had this van for a few months, but I have had experience with other Astros, as well as other brands for comparision. For what the Astro was designed for it does it well. It's not overly stylish, but it is very funtional. Has adequate power delivery, although not refined. Handles like a van, not a BMW. Rides like a truck, not a Buick, but it will haul people and trailers. It will also get decent fuel mileage. Makes a great work truck and can take the abush and punish usually associated with work trucks.

High ride, keyless entry

None since this van is now out of production, although it would be nice to see something in this size range come back.

Best van for our needs
By claudia palamar

2005 Chevrolet Astro Minivan Rwd 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

This is the third Astro we have owned. Currently we tow a 26.5ft travel trailer through the midwest and have experienced no problems. One must drive responsibly and not expect to break any speed records.

Interior design cabin and cargo area. Fun to drive especially the height. This allows driver to see problems before most pick up and auto drivers. Towing ability.

More foot room in cabin area.

An "unknown" reliable minivan
By goofster

2005 Chevrolet Astro Minivan AWD 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I brought this vehicle use in Jan 2006. Surprisingly this vehicle's build quality has improved drastically. No squeaks and rattles to date compared to other friends' older astro vans. Improved braking and quiet interior. 4 wheel disc brakes setup was taken from chevy/gmc truck division. It possess impressive stopping power. Fuel mileage is not bad, getting 21mpg on the highway. Rear A/C and rear heat are awesome. Trunk space is ample for those long trips. Leg room in all rows are very good, compare to other minivans. Power is good. No problems to date.

4 wheel disk brakes, rear a/c and rear heat, quiet interior, solid build feel, and trunk space. All-wheel- drive. Anitlock brakes.

A little more power and fuel effiency (mpg is not that bad). A 5 or 6 speed transmission would have been nice. A little more front footwell space.

Second Astro Owned
By jjreeves9752@charter

2005 Chevrolet Astro Minivan Rwd 3dr Minivan (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

This is my second Astro. The first I drove 230,000 miles with little maintenance. This is longer but handles nicely I put Mogg idler arms on the 1991 that greatly improved the steering and handling. I plan to do it on the 2005 in a year or so. I now have 40000 miles on the 2005. I drive these vans from SC to Yellowstone Natl. Park and on to Phoenix and back. I pull a midsized bass boat for short 20 or 50 trips. We especially like the fold down bench seats for the second and third row seats. We throw coats and etc. over the first folded down bench. I have driven Toyota vans but this Astro will outdrive it hands down with a lot of hauling space.

Fold down benches to haul flat coats and etc on. A 4.3 v6 engine that will run 90 mph on the highway very easily.

The gas mileage of course. The idler steering needs after factory update with the Mogg Idler Arms and Sensor Shocks that that really give the Astro a good ride and handling ability.