2018 Cadillac XT5 Consumer Reviews - 14 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2018 Cadillac XT5 Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific XT5 model:

Good price for auto
By Stanley Skoczylas

2018 Cadillac XT5 Luxury 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

Review all the options that come with the different models.

Beautiful ride!
By Nancy

2018 Cadillac XT5 Premium Luxury 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

I test drove other models and found the Cadillac xt5 to be the best in comfort. I owned my last Cadillac, this is my 3rd one and I’ll always choose Cadillac over any other model! It’s so quiet, smooth and so beautiful to look at!! I think everyone should test drive one and see what they are missing!

Dangerous at any speed
By M. Ward

2018 Cadillac XT5 Premium Luxury 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

Not what I'd expect from Cadillac. Transmission shifts constantly. Auto lights won't stop brighting people. Nearly got ticket when the car kept turning on bright lights after I dimmed them. Auto windows are a hazzard to children. Hidden shift buttons behind steering wheel can unexpectedly shift to lower gear even in Drive. That nearly caused one accident so far. Cruise control will go up 5mph if you aren't careful about how you press the switch. Radio has no tune feature so your stuck with what it wants to play. If you have a family or live in a hilly or mountainous environment the constant shifting will drive you nuts. Save yourself the headache, buy something else.

The most dangerous vehicle I've driven
By R. Booth

2018 Cadillac XT5 Premium Luxury 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

Having the Cadillac name I was expecting a quality vehicle. What I found was disappointing. During my first drive I found that the hidden shift buttons on the back of the steering wheel will shift the transmission with it set to "Drive" or "Manual". I accidentally touched the down shift side on the freeway suddenly finding myself in a much lower gear than I needed with traffic behind me making emergency moves to miss the suddenly slowing Cadillac. That was just he first of many issues. Next was the cruise control. If you gently touch the cruise + side you accelerate 1 mile an hour per touch, like every other cruise control I've used. But with this one hit a bump as you press the button or push a little too hard it adds 5 miles an hour. With traffic around me traveling at 77+ mph and me at 76 I pushed the button to match the flow of traffic. I pushed it too hard and found myself doing 81 mph. A felony in Virginia. The next safety issue is with the windows that are another pressure sensitive issue. With a light touch the windows go up or down as you hold the button down. Press down with more pressure and the windows open completely. Not an issue my Lincoln does the same, but if you press or pull the switch up too far it also goes completely up by itself. This is a hazard for children whose fingers could be severed by the window. God forbid their head got caught in it.
Handling of the XT5 is ok but nothing to write home about. The Sport setting stiffens the suspension a bit and cuts down on body roll. Brakes are good. Transmission is an issue. It's an 8 speed automatic. If you live in a fairly flat area you won't mind it. Here in the Virginia mountains with back roads that wind up and down you'll notice the transmission is constantly shifting. Slow down for a corner, shifting, going up a hill, shifting. That's not only uncomfortable but really dulls the performance of the 331 hp engine. So i ended up keeping it in manual most of the time while we drove the back roads of the Shenandoah Valley.
The vehicle is loaded with so many gadgets that it really is like driving a video games. Center touch screen OK but I don't like all the in cabin lights during night driving. But that is more my issue as I find this with most of today's cars. Being able to turn off that screen in the middle of the console would be a great plus in my opinion.

Front seats, position and ventilation
By James Colter

2018 Cadillac XT5 Platinum 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

Have had this car fo about a month and 2000 mi. The front seats can not be adjusted up in the back enough for my wife and also I could use a little more adjustment myself. That is not the biggest problem, the front seat ventilation is almost not existent, I took it to the dealer and was told everything worked as designed. They also said they have heard this complaint before. I have had this feature on other cars, GMC, Lexus, Buick, and Avalone. So I am use to useing this feature since I live in Phoenix. I am not sure what to do next. I have the Platinum model.