Used 2013 BMW X3 Consumer Reviews - 28 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific X3 model:

Very Disappointed
By SKM

2013 BMW X3 xDrive28i 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

I get more warning messages on the dashboard than the number of text messages I get on my cellphone. I purchased it as a CPO with 17k miles and currently is at 58k after 3 years of owning. I would have taken to dealership at least once every month for some electronic component or sensor failure. Luckily all those were covered under warranty. My extended warranty expires in a month and worried how much I would end up paying afterwards. I understand the parts are expensive, but why they are not reliable. I have a Toyota as second car and it has about 100k miles, other than the regular oil change I have not spent a penny for any other maintenance or repair. Many times I would receive a message as 'Transmission malfunction', and no gear would be engaged. Dealer says software problem, they have even completely reset the software on the car and still had the same problem for number of times. I invested on this car hoping to use it for at least till touches 200k, but will it is a million dollar question.

Never again.
By Gerry

2013 BMW X3 xDrive35i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

We have had repeated "Drive Train Malfunction" warnings that our dealership has stabbed in the dark at fixing. Most recently they wrote on the repair receipt that they were "100 % Certain" that everything was fixed. We drove only FIVE miles when the same warning came on. The dealership is now saying it is the turbo charger and timing belt!! This is after $6000 of repairs on other features that causes the same warning.

So Much for German Engineering and Reliability
By Jeff Anderson

83,338—new turbocharger
99,533—rear differential
99,729---new transmission (when they figured out it wasn’t differential)
118,770—oil pump blew—new engine (dealer/BMW split cost but still paid $6300 out of pocket)

First car with speed
By Nathanjboyd

2013 BMW X3 xDrive28i 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

Bought it used and wow what an upgrade from our Honda. This twin turbo four is fast. Edmund's says 6.8 in review, but 6.2 is accurate. The transmission is smooth and the interioris quiet. NICE ride.

The X3 is most definately a fun experiance
By Mike A.

2013 BMW X3 xDrive28i 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

Due to excellent acceleration and breaking, the x3 is fun and safe to drive. Normal for performance vehicles - plan for the car value to depreciate by $6k or more per year for the first 6 years. Don't be surprised if the turbo needs to be rebuilt within the first 100K miles, mine happened at 51K miles. BMW may work with you on repair cost, if that occurs. A+ for what BMW did to assist in repairs needed for my X3. Some dealers have excellent service and offer loaners in a timely manner - Bobby Rahal of the south hills is one of those tops in class service departments.