2018 BMW 5 Series M550i xDrive Consumer Reviews - 10 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2018 BMW 5 Series M550i xDrive Consumer Reviews

M550i xDrive 4.4L V8 Twin-turbo AWD 8-speed Automatic - (10 reviews )

Maybe OK To lease
By BP

2018 BMW 5 Series M550i xDrive M550i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 8A)

This was an awesome car until I recieved the news that my 2018 M550 with 4,340 miles on it needed a new motor as the factory one had such damage even though it was broken in by the book and was babied. What the best part was BMW will only replace it with a remanufactured one destroying resale value if you do not drive your car into the ground. So if you are considering this auto I would suggest that you review some of the BMW forms and then only lease the auto and wouldn’t buy it. The sad part is BMW really does have a great car here. The car is super fast and at the same time rides like it is on air. Just to bad when issues come up like this on a new car they were not handled with the consumer in mind.

BMW M550i It's One Hot Car
By John Bedingfield

2018 BMW 5 Series M550i xDrive M550i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 8A)

I've leased three BMW 550 series from 2012-2018. The first two were pretty reliable although on one I had to have one of the injector port replaced. In January of 2018 I leased the third, an M550i Xdrive. It's nice looking, is pretty quick and it's fun to drive. I took possession in the winter and around April I noticed the AC didn't cool...just blew hot air. I took it in to the dealer who charged up the system and kept it for a week looking for leaks. Didn't find any. Car was returned and enjoyed great AC until late June. Just today (June 24th) the AC went from cold air to cool and finally warm in less than an hour. Now I have to make a long hot drive to bring the car back in to the dealer next week. I get a loaner but it's an inferior model (except for the AC). I've only had the car for 180 days but I'm already half way to officially being able to declare the vehicle a Lemon under Texas law. Two other annoying things are the music connection and the wireless charging. For music I mostly use Pandora through my iPhone X. The connection to the car is unreliable and I generally have to restart my phone to get it to play. I've used both the BMW app and Apple Car Play. I definitely wouldn't recommend the $300 Car Play option. The wireless charger is hit and miss as well. I've used two phones that are Qi charger capable and both sometimes work in the car and sometimes don't. They both charge perfectly on the wireless charger at home. In summary the car drives well, but the AC and the electronics problems make the car a poor choice if you're a driver who wants his $90,000 car to work as advertised. If you're wondering why I gave it two stars rather than one, it's because the AC problem doesn't matter in the winter.

Like this car
By Larry G

2018 BMW 5 Series M550i xDrive M550i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 8A)

Much more comfortable, but less sporty than prior Car (2010 M3). Don’t drive as aggressively in it, which is good for my age. Lots of technology improvements over old car.

Moonbeam takes me away!
By Bob and Lin

2018 BMW 5 Series M550i xDrive M550i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 8A)

I have named my new BMW - Moonbeam - and it is truly the best car I have ever owned. This may not be fair - as I have driven trucks all my life - but when I finally decided to get a nice car, I knew that I wanted a NICE car! I diligently researched vehicles for many months - evaluating Mercedes, Lexus, Maserati, Cadillac and Infiniti. I ended with my BMW 540i X Drive - and I could not be happier. It is most known for the extraordinary driveability - but the elegance of the car, the amazing interior, the incredible nav system and so much more, completely roped me in. I am loading hundreds and hundreds of songs onto my 20 gig hard drive media center - and still discovering more and more amenities that I did not even know existed. I am very proud of myself that I made such a wise (and perfect) decision.

Amazing and undiscovered gem
By Gaurav

2018 BMW 5 Series M550i xDrive M550i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 8A)

All the comfort and convenience of a top-line BMW 5 series, with the power and handling of a real M car. i've owned this car for a little over 6 months now, and its been flawless. This is my first new car that i have not taken to dealer in the first 6 months. I drive it in Sport mode most of the time, and its simply fantastic. Fuel economy mixed is about 24 mpg, which i feel is very good for a car like this. Its faster than a base 911, a M2, M3, M4, C63 AMG, and most other super cars. In that context, its an amazing bargain, and a well kept secret, as i have seen very few in my neck of the woods.