Used 2014 BMW 3 Series Diesel Consumer Reviews - 26 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 BMW 3 Series Diesel Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Great car, but be cautious
By Dale Ferrell

2014 BMW 3 Series Diesel 328d xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

I purchased a 2014 328d Xdrive a little over a year ago. I purchased what I thought was going to be an exceptional car. I travel quite a bit for work and personal (roughly 1000 miles per week). With the diesel being so efficient, I thought this was going to be the perfect purchase of luxury and performance. At a little over a year of ownership, I just picked up my car after having the entire engine replaced at a BMW dealership. The dealership has serviced my car on a regular basis. Unfortunately, the premature engine failure was labeled as "due to normal wear and tear". The good news was the $16,000 engine replacement cost me $0.00. The bad news is that my warranty expires soon and BMW told me that when it expired that they would possibly review the case, but no guarantee.

Diesel is great but one caution....
By So Cal Driver

2014 BMW 3 Series Diesel 328d 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

Bought mine new - 2014 BMW 328d, and yes it actually gets to 45 MPG hwy, I averaged 42 mixed and I've tracked every single fuel up on the Fuelly app. I'm 4 years and 76k miles in now, and I drive in Eco mode 90%, but sport mode is a blast, the low end torque is remarkable, and the car is every bit a 3 series in handling dynamics and road feel. Diesel clatter is only evident at very low speeds, and never intrusive. Above 15-20 mph sounds like a regular gas engine to me. This is my second BMW, having spent the previous 6 years with an '07 BMW 530i, the 328 has almost the same passenger room but handles way better. One caveat, beware of cheap diesel! I've been told diesel is not regulated to the same standards as gasoline. Now I gas up only at heavily trafficked gas stations where trucks frequent near the interstate, where fuel is more likely to be fresh. My car at 40k miles had a bad high pressure fuel pump which partially disintegrated (or delaminated) and threw bits of metal into the fuel injectors. Car just bogged down and died, lucky it was on city streets. The repair was a entirely new fuel tank, pump, injectors - the entire fuel delivery system, I was told the repair cost was $6k-$7k but fortunately it happened under 50k miles and BMW warranty covered. I was advised the trouble probably was contaminated fuel, and I do recall the previous diesel fill up at an off brand gas station was about 15% lower price than usual. Steering clear of cheap diesel and very contented with this car!

Fun to drive PLUS great fuel economy
By Greg Kacvinsky

2014 BMW 3 Series Diesel 328d xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

I bought a Certified Pre-Owned 2014 328d (X Drive) with 18K miles, and now have 36K miles after 9 months. This car replaced a 2007 328xi that I traded in after 180K miles (loved that car too). I consider the 328d a bridge between regular gas engines and an electric vehicle; the mileage is so fantastic, I feel just as smug as the Prius drivers as I pass them on the highway, knowing I'm sipping fuel at a slower rate than them at highway speeds. Acceleration is not the reason you buy this car, but getting up to speed is effortless, with the low RPMs and fast-shifting transmission getting you to full highway speed without a worry. Handling and breaking are, as typical for a BMW 3 Series, second to none. I'm now a stranger to gas stations, as I usually go 550-600 miles between fill-ups. Although many don't like run-flats, I absolutely love them, and they've saved me from many bad situations in the past. They are well worth the extra replacement cost, given the peace of mind that they provide. I'm 6'4", and that's probably pushing max height for a BMW 3 Series driver...however, the car is still very comfortable for me, even on long trips. Getting out is not as easy as higher-profile vehicles, but until my age catches up with me, I'm completely fine with that.

Most beautiful car I will ever own, plus ...
By Frank Vanderschoot

2014 BMW 3 Series Diesel 328d 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

This bmw 328d is beautiful, sporty, economical (50mpg hwy), and with the diesel reliability, it should last me the rest of my life. Got buyback money from VW for my old Jetta TDI (which I also loved) and got this 2014 328d in perfect condition for buyback money plus $2000. These cars depreciate fast but most of that loss was incurred by the prior owner. Everything about the car seems very high quality, much more so that the Jetta was.

Reliable, efficient, fun to drive BMW 328d
By AJ

2014 BMW 3 Series Diesel 328d 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

I've done a lot of research on Mercedes/Audi/BMW diesels before I bought my 328d: if you pick up a copy of Consumer Reports magazine (or subscribe online), you'll learn that 2014 BMW 3 series earned an average of 4 star (above average) reliability ratings in every area (mechanical, electrical, etc.), better than any other year; other 3 series have average reliability and most 7 series and 5 series score below average reliability. These BMW 328d have very few mechanical issues unlike 2009-2011 335d, which were known for expensive fuel injector/pump, carbon buildup and DEF/EGR problems. I fill up with Propel HPR diesel, a 100% renewable diesel (way better than bio-diesel) available in most cities in CA, which will help keep this 328d very reliable for many years (look up HPR diesel online, I tested it on my TDI before, it's a superb clean diesel alternative). Fuel economy is way better than EPA rating at cruising speed - I get 52-54 mpg at 73-75 mph, (high 50's! when cruising at 55-65 mph) - I average 39-44 on each tank (600+ miles) depending on what % is city driving & how aggressively I drive - that's the fuel economy of a Toyota hybrid. Considering the great handling and how much fun it is to drive (280 lb. ft. of torque), this BMW is a winner! I bought my 328d certified pre-owned from BMW of Marin County with an extended warranty (2 years, unlimited miles) which gives me a peace of mind as I drive 3K/month all over NorCal. The 8 speed ZF transmission is smooth and quick shifting in either sport or comfort mode: I've owned many BMW's with 5 & 6 speed transmission and this 8 speed is the best. Interestingly enough, I searched for 328d for 3 months and paid less for very clean low mileage Certified 328d than private parties were asking, which shows how high the demand is for these reliable diesels. If you find one with a clean title & well maintained - buy it - you won't regret owning it. Here's a nice review from Motorweek - http://www.motorweek.org/reviews/road_tests/2014_bmw_328d