Used 2014 BMW 3 Series Diesel Consumer Reviews - 24 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 BMW 3 Series Diesel Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Fun to drive PLUS great fuel economy
By Greg Kacvinsky

2014 BMW 3 Series Diesel 328d xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

I bought a Certified Pre-Owned 2014 328d (X Drive) with 18K miles, and now have 36K miles after 9 months. This car replaced a 2007 328xi that I traded in after 180K miles (loved that car too). I consider the 328d a bridge between regular gas engines and an electric vehicle; the mileage is so fantastic, I feel just as smug as the Prius drivers as I pass them on the highway, knowing I'm sipping fuel at a slower rate than them at highway speeds. Acceleration is not the reason you buy this car, but getting up to speed is effortless, with the low RPMs and fast-shifting transmission getting you to full highway speed without a worry. Handling and breaking are, as typical for a BMW 3 Series, second to none. I'm now a stranger to gas stations, as I usually go 550-600 miles between fill-ups. Although many don't like run-flats, I absolutely love them, and they've saved me from many bad situations in the past. They are well worth the extra replacement cost, given the peace of mind that they provide. I'm 6'4", and that's probably pushing max height for a BMW 3 Series driver...however, the car is still very comfortable for me, even on long trips. Getting out is not as easy as higher-profile vehicles, but until my age catches up with me, I'm completely fine with that.

Most beautiful car I will ever own, plus ...
By Frank Vanderschoot

2014 BMW 3 Series Diesel 328d 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

This bmw 328d is beautiful, sporty, economical (50mpg hwy), and with the diesel reliability, it should last me the rest of my life. Got buyback money from VW for my old Jetta TDI (which I also loved) and got this 2014 328d in perfect condition for buyback money plus $2000. These cars depreciate fast but most of that loss was incurred by the prior owner. Everything about the car seems very high quality, much more so that the Jetta was.

Reliable, efficient, fun to drive BMW 328d
By AJ

2014 BMW 3 Series Diesel 328d 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

I've done a lot of research on Mercedes/Audi/BMW diesels before I bought my 328d: if you pick up a copy of Consumer Reports magazine (or subscribe online), you'll learn that 2014 BMW 3 series earned an average of 4 star (above average) reliability ratings in every area (mechanical, electrical, etc.), better than any other year; other 3 series have average reliability and most 7 series and 5 series score below average reliability. These BMW 328d have very few mechanical issues unlike 2009-2011 335d, which were known for expensive fuel injector/pump, carbon buildup and DEF/EGR problems. I fill up with Propel HPR diesel, a 100% renewable diesel (way better than bio-diesel) available in most cities in CA, which will help keep this 328d very reliable for many years (look up HPR diesel online, I tested it on my TDI before, it's a superb clean diesel alternative). Fuel economy is way better than EPA rating at cruising speed - I get 52-54 mpg at 73-75 mph, (high 50's! when cruising at 55-65 mph) - I average 39-44 on each tank (600+ miles) depending on what % is city driving & how aggressively I drive - that's the fuel economy of a Toyota hybrid. Considering the great handling and how much fun it is to drive (280 lb. ft. of torque), this BMW is a winner! I bought my 328d certified pre-owned from BMW of Marin County with an extended warranty (2 years, unlimited miles) which gives me a peace of mind as I drive 3K/month all over NorCal. The 8 speed ZF transmission is smooth and quick shifting in either sport or comfort mode: I've owned many BMW's with 5 & 6 speed transmission and this 8 speed is the best. Interestingly enough, I searched for 328d for 3 months and paid less for very clean low mileage Certified 328d than private parties were asking, which shows how high the demand is for these reliable diesels. If you find one with a clean title & well maintained - buy it - you won't regret owning it. Here's a nice review from Motorweek - http://www.motorweek.org/reviews/road_tests/2014_bmw_328d

100,000 mile review
By Texas guy

2014 BMW 3 Series Diesel 328d 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

I have owned this car for almost three years and so far it has been a wonderful car. No repairs at all outside of regular maintenance. The car still drives like it was new. I will say that this car is best suited for lots of highway driving but the seats in the sport model get very uncomfortable after about 45 minutes of driving. Handling is excellent. However, if something does go wrong with the car, there is no place but the dealership that will service it because it is the diesel model.

Great MPG
By CommutesMe

2014 BMW 3 Series Diesel 328d xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

Chose the diesel for mpg on a 70 mile daily commute. I had am replacing s large Crew Cab Pickup and this cat sips fuel in comparison.