Used 2014 BMW 3 Series Consumer Reviews - 50 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 BMW 3 Series Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Diesel is great but one caution....
By So Cal Driver

2014 BMW 3 Series 328d 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

Bought mine new - 2014 BMW 328d, and yes it actually gets to 45 MPG hwy, I averaged 42 mixed and I've tracked every single fuel up on the Fuelly app. I'm 4 years and 76k miles in now, and I drive in Eco mode 90%, but sport mode is a blast, the low end torque is remarkable, and the car is every bit a 3 series in handling dynamics and road feel. Diesel clatter is only evident at very low speeds, and never intrusive. Above 15-20 mph sounds like a regular gas engine to me. This is my second BMW, having spent the previous 6 years with an '07 BMW 530i, the 328 has almost the same passenger room but handles way better. One caveat, beware of cheap diesel! I've been told diesel is not regulated to the same standards as gasoline. Now I gas up only at heavily trafficked gas stations where trucks frequent near the interstate, where fuel is more likely to be fresh. My car at 40k miles had a bad high pressure fuel pump which partially disintegrated (or delaminated) and threw bits of metal into the fuel injectors. Car just bogged down and died, lucky it was on city streets. The repair was a entirely new fuel tank, pump, injectors - the entire fuel delivery system, I was told the repair cost was $6k-$7k but fortunately it happened under 50k miles and BMW warranty covered. I was advised the trouble probably was contaminated fuel, and I do recall the previous diesel fill up at an off brand gas station was about 15% lower price than usual. Steering clear of cheap diesel and very contented with this car!

In love with my 335i
By Matthew Chin

2014 BMW 3 Series 335i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

Car is a great car very fun to drive and power available at the touch of a gas pedal...has a lot of added features

A beauty with room for improvement
By Lori

2014 BMW 3 Series 320i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

I agree with a lot of the last review. For me it was hard to get in and out of the car and I am 5'-6". The door lock button is in the middle of the consul rather than on the doors, so without the remote key, one has to crawl in, to get the other doors open. Somehow the front was couple of inches longer than the previous model, and I was always scraping the bumper when I parked - the car was a bit too low and too long in the front. After 4 years and 34k miles, the car depreciated 19K or about 60% and already has an oil leak. I liked the exterior styling of it but never liked it as much as my previous 328i from 2000 (which I drove until 2014!)

Baby Bimmer Brightens my Day
By Paul Weintraub

2014 BMW 3 Series 320i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

The 320i is extremely economical in eco and surpasses the ratings. It is slightly slower than the 328 but considering the economy and cost savings is a better car.

Fun to drive PLUS great fuel economy
By Greg Kacvinsky

2014 BMW 3 Series 328d xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

I bought a Certified Pre-Owned 2014 328d (X Drive) with 18K miles, and now have 36K miles after 9 months. This car replaced a 2007 328xi that I traded in after 180K miles (loved that car too). I consider the 328d a bridge between regular gas engines and an electric vehicle; the mileage is so fantastic, I feel just as smug as the Prius drivers as I pass them on the highway, knowing I'm sipping fuel at a slower rate than them at highway speeds. Acceleration is not the reason you buy this car, but getting up to speed is effortless, with the low RPMs and fast-shifting transmission getting you to full highway speed without a worry. Handling and breaking are, as typical for a BMW 3 Series, second to none. I'm now a stranger to gas stations, as I usually go 550-600 miles between fill-ups. Although many don't like run-flats, I absolutely love them, and they've saved me from many bad situations in the past. They are well worth the extra replacement cost, given the peace of mind that they provide. I'm 6'4", and that's probably pushing max height for a BMW 3 Series driver...however, the car is still very comfortable for me, even on long trips. Getting out is not as easy as higher-profile vehicles, but until my age catches up with me, I'm completely fine with that.