Used 2014 BMW 3 Series Consumer Reviews - 44 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 BMW 3 Series Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Still the ultimate driving machine
By John McBrayer

2014 BMW 3 Series 335i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

Steering is a little too sensitive and the run flat tires are a bad idea. Tires can be replaced. Steering you just have to adjust to. Otherwise, this is a great car!

Most beautiful car I will ever own, plus ...
By Frank Vanderschoot

2014 BMW 3 Series 328d 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

This bmw 328d is beautiful, sporty, economical (50mpg hwy), and with the diesel reliability, it should last me the rest of my life. Got buyback money from VW for my old Jetta TDI (which I also loved) and got this 2014 328d in perfect condition for buyback money plus $2000. These cars depreciate fast but most of that loss was incurred by the prior owner. Everything about the car seems very high quality, much more so that the Jetta was.

Big Question Mark on BMW quality and services
By Don

2014 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

1.5 years after purchase, my transmission gone bad and the dealer replaced it. The dealer replaced a couple of spark plugs in 2~3 years. The dealer didn't tell me about the replacement of spark plugs. Soon after the factory warranty expired, the intake valve was loose and the dealer needed to re-tighten it. Even well before the warranty expiration, the problem (jerking and shaking) associated with the loose intake valve started. Another BMW? No way!!! Buy American or Korean.

Reliable, efficient, fun to drive BMW 328d
By AJ

2014 BMW 3 Series 328d 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

I've done a lot of research on Mercedes/Audi/BMW diesels before I bought my 328d: if you pick up a copy of Consumer Reports magazine (or subscribe online), you'll learn that 2014 BMW 3 series earned an average of 4 star (above average) reliability ratings in every area (mechanical, electrical, etc.), better than any other year; other 3 series have average reliability and most 7 series and 5 series score below average reliability. These BMW 328d have very few mechanical issues unlike 2009-2011 335d, which were known for expensive fuel injector/pump, carbon buildup and DEF/EGR problems. I fill up with Propel HPR diesel, a 100% renewable diesel (way better than bio-diesel) available in most cities in CA, which will help keep this 328d very reliable for many years (look up HPR diesel online, I tested it on my TDI before, it's a superb clean diesel alternative). Fuel economy is way better than EPA rating at cruising speed - I get 52-54 mpg at 73-75 mph, (high 50's! when cruising at 55-65 mph) - I average 39-44 on each tank (600+ miles) depending on what % is city driving & how aggressively I drive - that's the fuel economy of a Toyota hybrid. Considering the great handling and how much fun it is to drive (280 lb. ft. of torque), this BMW is a winner! I bought my 328d certified pre-owned from BMW of Marin County with an extended warranty (2 years, unlimited miles) which gives me a peace of mind as I drive 3K/month all over NorCal. The 8 speed ZF transmission is smooth and quick shifting in either sport or comfort mode: I've owned many BMW's with 5 & 6 speed transmission and this 8 speed is the best. Interestingly enough, I searched for 328d for 3 months and paid less for very clean low mileage Certified 328d than private parties were asking, which shows how high the demand is for these reliable diesels. If you find one with a clean title & well maintained - buy it - you won't regret owning it. Here's a nice review from Motorweek - http://www.motorweek.org/reviews/road_tests/2014_bmw_328d

100,000 mile review
By Texas guy

2014 BMW 3 Series 328d 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

I have owned this car for almost three years and so far it has been a wonderful car. No repairs at all outside of regular maintenance. The car still drives like it was new. I will say that this car is best suited for lots of highway driving but the seats in the sport model get very uncomfortable after about 45 minutes of driving. Handling is excellent. However, if something does go wrong with the car, there is no place but the dealership that will service it because it is the diesel model.