Used 2014 BMW 3 Series Consumer Reviews - 51 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 BMW 3 Series Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Great car, but be cautious
By Dale Ferrell

2014 BMW 3 Series 328d xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

I purchased a 2014 328d Xdrive a little over a year ago. I purchased what I thought was going to be an exceptional car. I travel quite a bit for work and personal (roughly 1000 miles per week). With the diesel being so efficient, I thought this was going to be the perfect purchase of luxury and performance. At a little over a year of ownership, I just picked up my car after having the entire engine replaced at a BMW dealership. The dealership has serviced my car on a regular basis. Unfortunately, the premature engine failure was labeled as "due to normal wear and tear". The good news was the $16,000 engine replacement cost me $0.00. The bad news is that my warranty expires soon and BMW told me that when it expired that they would possibly review the case, but no guarantee.

Diesel is great but one caution....
By So Cal Driver

2014 BMW 3 Series 328d 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

Bought mine new - 2014 BMW 328d, and yes it actually gets to 45 MPG hwy, I averaged 42 mixed and I've tracked every single fuel up on the Fuelly app. I'm 4 years and 76k miles in now, and I drive in Eco mode 90%, but sport mode is a blast, the low end torque is remarkable, and the car is every bit a 3 series in handling dynamics and road feel. Diesel clatter is only evident at very low speeds, and never intrusive. Above 15-20 mph sounds like a regular gas engine to me. This is my second BMW, having spent the previous 6 years with an '07 BMW 530i, the 328 has almost the same passenger room but handles way better. One caveat, beware of cheap diesel! I've been told diesel is not regulated to the same standards as gasoline. Now I gas up only at heavily trafficked gas stations where trucks frequent near the interstate, where fuel is more likely to be fresh. My car at 40k miles had a bad high pressure fuel pump which partially disintegrated (or delaminated) and threw bits of metal into the fuel injectors. Car just bogged down and died, lucky it was on city streets. The repair was a entirely new fuel tank, pump, injectors - the entire fuel delivery system, I was told the repair cost was $6k-$7k but fortunately it happened under 50k miles and BMW warranty covered. I was advised the trouble probably was contaminated fuel, and I do recall the previous diesel fill up at an off brand gas station was about 15% lower price than usual. Steering clear of cheap diesel and very contented with this car!

In love with my 335i
By Matthew Chin

2014 BMW 3 Series 335i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

Car is a great car very fun to drive and power available at the touch of a gas pedal...has a lot of added features

A beauty with room for improvement
By Lori

2014 BMW 3 Series 320i 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

I agree with a lot of the last review. For me it was hard to get in and out of the car and I am 5'-6". The door lock button is in the middle of the consul rather than on the doors, so without the remote key, one has to crawl in, to get the other doors open. Somehow the front was couple of inches longer than the previous model, and I was always scraping the bumper when I parked - the car was a bit too low and too long in the front. After 4 years and 34k miles, the car depreciated 19K or about 60% and already has an oil leak. I liked the exterior styling of it but never liked it as much as my previous 328i from 2000 (which I drove until 2014!)

Baby Bimmer Brightens my Day
By Paul Weintraub

2014 BMW 3 Series 320i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

The 320i is extremely economical in eco and surpasses the ratings. It is slightly slower than the 328 but considering the economy and cost savings is a better car.