Used 2011 BMW 3 Series Consumer Reviews - 100 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2011 BMW 3 Series Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Great Driver, But Expensive To Maintain
By socalh2oskier

2011 BMW 3 Series 335d 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

I have owned nine BMWs, and the 335d is by far the best all-around driver. It gets great mileage (36-38 hwy), handling is sharp, steering is communicative (much better than newer models with electric steering), and the ride is a perfect blend between sport and luxury. The diesel pulls strong. It is quick. The torque is amazing. But maintenance is a bear. The SES light comes on every month or two. Invariably, it is related to the diesel pollution control. It also seems to have a lot of problems related to the glow plugs and the glow plug control module. Unfortunately, every time the SES light comes on you can expect to pay around $1,000-$2,000 in repairs. And this doesn't account for the additional expense of approximately $2,000 or more for a walnut shell blast cleaning every 40k-50k miles that they don't tell you about when you purchase the car. My wife absolutely loves driving this car (as do I), but I cannot recommend it. The expense and hassle with all of the repairs is simply too much. Also, be aware that if you drive a lot of short trips, the problems for this car multiply. This diesel is made to get out and gobble up large chunks of pavement, but is ill-suited for short trips across town.

Long Term Ownership review - 4 + years
By Ed C

2011 BMW 3 Series 328i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I bought this car with 18,000 miles on it in August 2013. It currently has 107,000 on it in January 2018. The acceleration is really good! Cost of ownership is terrible, still owe $9,000 on the principal loan and it's starting to fall apart. Things that broke: 4 ignition coils (2 separate occasions), costing me about $25 / coil per time (DIY repair), 2 complete sets of tires. Currently the car has these problems: 2 bad rear wheel bearings, a failed DISA valve (engine rattle on acceleration) , serpentine belt tensioner pulley is slightly squeaking, rear upper control arm bushing is worn, and oil pan gasket and valve cover gaskets are leaking. The DISA valve is a known issue and a problem solver repair kit exists on Ebay for $80 (a new DISA valve costs about $250, and it will break down like the original). I'll be replacing the valve and wheel bearings as soon as the cold weather breaks. I love the way the car looks and handles so I'll be keeping it after it's paid off.

90,000 mile update for cool M Sport Package 328i
By Zoolander090

2011 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have owned this vehicle for 2.5 years and have driven it 31,000 miles. So far so good. Feel free to look up my past reviews on the same vehicle. I bought it with 59k miles and my wife is the main driver. It has the M Sport package, the upgraded audio system, navi, etc. Most options minus the HID lights. Everything has held up pretty good. Nothing has broken and/or stopped working properly. Maintenance issues have only been: replaced spark plugs at 70k miles, and at the 90k mile service I got done last week they replaced the radiator, the oil filter housing gasket, re surfaced the front rotors, replaced the pads, transmission service, cabin filter, air filter and I can't remember what else for about $2000 labor included. So far I have gone through 2 sets of front tires to you get about 18k miles per set with conservative driving. Overall I'm satisfied with the quality and reliability of the vehicle. Not impressed with the leaky radiator, it was a small leak but decided to replace it in order to avoid future issues. I originally planned to keep this vehicle for 2 or 3 years depending on experience. I think I will keep this vehicle for longer as it has held up pretty good. Still looks awesome and I plan to rather buy an SUV for my wife and start driving this car as a daily driver.

Needs Service
By Tom Hert

2011 BMW 3 Series 335d 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

I am 76 years old, have owned many new cars and this is by far the worst car I have ever owned. It is constantly in need of service. Purchased used with 19k miles. At 45k the carbon build up removal cost at $ 2500 was considered "normal". The particulate filter $ 3000 was considered "normal maintenance". The defective DEF tank, $ 1600, not normal and the list goes on and on. Dumped this car at 120k and never a BMW again!

Bought it for wife!
By Gary Moeller

2011 BMW 3 Series 328i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Purchased pre-owned 1 year ago - wife really likes car and sometimes lets me drive it - a little nicer than my Element - great looking and has performed well on very long road trips to midwest - 75K when purchased - have been told by non-BMW owners that maintenance costs will be high - so far so good - will replace run flats when they wear out - I think it will ride better - could use some better cupholders too, but no big deal