Used 2004 BMW 3 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews - 218 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 BMW 3 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Love them or hate them, it depends
By ILeftNJ

2004 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I had to chuckel at another review I just read. My biggest complaint is how darn much money I put into this car, On the other hamd I drive it hard all year long and use on my sales job. II got it with 88,000 mi and put on 50,000 miles. At least two new sets of brakes. Total overhaul of cooling system that a NMW mechanic did after I messed it up $3200. I took a 6 year long and sure enough I owe nore than the car is worth. Did I say I love to drive it, detail it zoom in the left lane at 90 mph. For now I am going to hang on to it maybe even restore the interior. It has become a hobby, way cheaper than a boat.

NOT GOOD...
By Kari

2004 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this vehicle in 2012. By two years I had double paid for this vehicle. The instrument cluster panel even went out. I heard from three mechanics that they have never seen this happen to any vehicle and that cost was almost $2K. At to this very day I have replaced the instrument cluster panel, the valve cover gasket, the coolant expansion tank, the radiator, the control arms w/bushings, the radiator fan clutch, oil pan, oil pan plug, split leather seats, rear ABS speed sensor, broken center console, headliner & interior fabric issues and anything else that was plastic. Long story short I have paid two times plus the purchase price (value) for this vehicle in 4+ years, wow! She is now at 165000 miles which I appreciate however I had over 187000 on a Nissan Altima and spent less than a $1K in repairs. They say the BMW's will run forever... yes, I suppose they will. So will I if you replace "all of my parts!" Since owning this vehicle I have appreciated the turning radius, the vehicular power, e.g. her get up and go, but my overall disappointment as you deal with this vehicle... OUCH and never again!!!! Unless I am so wealthy and can just burn money I will never own another.

BMW--Break My Wallet
By Jack

2004 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I owned the car for 3.5 years and truly wanted to love the car and the brand. I learned a lot as I repaired the vehicle. I did go six months once, only once, without it needing repairs! The ride, engine performance and mpg are excellent, but I couldn't trust it to go on any trip. the cooling system, radiator, expansion tank, and other cooling system parts are all plastic. My car finally bit the dust and blew the head gasket, forcing pressure into the cooling system, which caused various leaks. I will buy a Lexus IS or an Acura tl for my ride from now on. I'm sold that I don't want to spend the rest of my life troubleshooting the woes of the BMW!!

Still going strong with 250K miles
By C B

2004 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Great car to own and drive. Yes, there will be repairs after 100k miles, but I got past 200K before having to replace the clutch. Most other repairs have been to structural parts - engine is just unbelievably superb. I drive in snow and mud, with pets, groceries, gear, etc. Gas mileage has been a solid combined 25 mpg for the life of the car. If you can find a used one, you could probably get a decade out of it and love every minute of driving it.

Love my bimmer
By CJF

2004 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325xi AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I bought the car with 24,900 miles April 2014 from 80 year old woman. The car now has 57,000 mile. I like the car very much. NO major issues, just maintenance issues here and there. Unfortunately, repairs can be pricey. Overall , I would recommend this car. I am very happy with it. I do expect to keep it a longgggg time.
I will keep up the maintenance and it should go and go .I do believe it is the "ultimate driving machine" and I would not go to back to a "basic" car again. I really enjoy driving it...

update 3-7-18: Still have the car now with 88,000 miles.. Still love the car and have no real problems...just maintenance issues... had to replace ( a couple times) the front end CVS joint (?) which kept leaking. I hit a lot of bumps here in NYC and that may have been cause. Also, I get very annoyed with the Bi xenon lights. They flicker and I had to replace the bulbs a couple times. It is a problem I can not seem to get an answer to. I am also aware of E46 issues such as the cooling system. No problems yet but I am told I should get a cooling system KIt soon.. Cost for material about $350.00 (+/-) Overall, I will find it hard to have any other car than a BMW. It rides so nice. I will keep this car another few years at least. I can not justify a new BMW price..NO way...