Used 2001 BMW 3 Series Convertible Consumer Reviews - 33 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 BMW 3 Series Convertible Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

My wife's car - she alway wanted a convertible
By Forrest Joseph

2001 BMW 3 Series Convertible 325Ci Rwd 2dr Convertible (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Wife wanted a convertible, told her I would not be forking out $50K-%60K for a new one, she would just have to settle for used. She really didnt want to look for a used one but she reluctantly agreed. Dragged her around to a lot of place to look at kind of a variety of used convertibles. Towards the end of the day, she said she didn't like a one of them we saw and wanted to go home. I said, okay, one last one to look at, she didn't want to, but reluctantly agreed. This last one was a 2001 BMW 325Ci convertible, body in as close to mint condition as one could expect for a used car, silver with dark blue top, tan interior. Once she got behind the wheel and the test drive was done she said "This baby is mine!!!". Now I did have to put a couple of bucks into the car to take care of some stuff that I believe the previous owner had neglected but since then, I am impressed by this car. It handles great, good acceleration for an engine of its size (actually seems to purr best when going quite a bit faster than the posted speed limit - :) Styling is classic and not dated. Did add an in dash navi with backup camera, still want to get a blind spot monitor for the rear once I find a suitable one with audio and visual signals that works well and does not cost an arm and a leg, have adjusted the outside mirrors as best I can to eliminate blind spots but there is little warning when an aggressive driver comes out of nowhere on you. There are two other systems that I still need to go thru on the car, that would be a complete brake system and want to have the suspension completely gone thru. The car is 17 years old but the 22K we have put on it since we got it, it just seems to run better and better the more we drive it. Maybe some folks have had less than favorable experience with their used BMW 3 series, but perhaps its the luck of the draw in buying a used one. Lastly, the best compliment that we have gotten on the car (had put 3 coats of Maquires on it and machine buffed each coat - was looking sharp) is when I drove up to Annapolis and someone was showing off their bright red Ferrari and I notice that owner was intently eyeballing our BMW as we drove slowly by.

great car ... even for old broads
By judy

2001 BMW 3 Series Convertible 330Ci Rwd 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

have checked out by a mechanic....I did and he wanted to buy it...said it's a keeper !!

They just don't make them like this anymore.
By browneyedbro

2001 BMW 3 Series Convertible 330Ci Rwd 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased my 330ci in 2009 with 49k on it. It was in mint condition, it looked great and not a scratch on it. What sold me was the sound of the engine when the salesman turn it on. It has a deep penetrating rumble that you would not expect from a car that size. When I looked under the hood the straight line six seemed like it went on for days. This car is heavy and when you hit the curves on the turn ram it sticks like a magnet. It is very responsive and handles like a dream. It is not the fastest car that I have ever driven but is fun to drive and always gets a lot of attention. The bad thing about this car is the fuel consumption. It drinks gas like BUD LIGHT. That is because of the steel frame. You will need to be in a tank before you find a safer ride. The BMW mechanics tell me never get rid of this one.

Beautiful little convertible.
By Peggy

2001 BMW 3 Series Convertible 330Ci Rwd 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I am the second owner and have owned this car since 2005. It is not only beautiful, but drives comfortably and safely. It is heavy and has great pickup. I have taken good care of it. It has 4 new tires and is in very good mechanical condition. it has some scratches, but looks very good.

What a Thrill
By BMWNewbie

2001 BMW 3 Series Convertible 325Ci Rwd 2dr Convertible (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased this car used with 70,018 miles from a reputable BMW dealer. This is my first BMW. I was skeptical buying this car with so many miles but have no regrets. Purchasing this car from a "BMW Dealer" helped ease my worries. I subsequently had the car checked by a certified BMW mechanic. The Dealer replaced the control arms, tires, brakes, and rotors. It helped that this car had only "one owner," I only replaced the thermostat at 79K miles. It was suggested I replace the overflow bottle as well before driving from Philadelphia, PA to Tulsa, OK (1300 total miles). Since then, I have driven to Philadelphia (2600 total miles) and back to Tulsa with no problems.

The convertible top is the best! This is my second convertible. My first convertible was a Triumph Spitfire with a manual top. Interior is well designed and the handling is by far one of the best experience of any sports car I've driven. I love the sound of the engine when changing gears...SWEET!!!!!

Cheaper price for the battery. I replaced the battery at 80K miles at a whopping cost of $304, Ouch!! Definitely would love the Sport Package with the boosted padded seats (heated) and HK sound system. I can do without the 17" sport tires since the ride would be not as smooth with the 15" tires.