Used 2013 Audi RS 5 Coupe Consumer Reviews - 3 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Audi RS 5 Coupe - Consumer Reviews

quattro 4.2L V8 AWD 7-speed Automated Manual - (3 reviews )

What's it like after 3 years of ownership
By Alfas and Audis

2013 Audi RS 5 Coupe quattro 2dr Coupe AWD (4.2L 8cyl 7AM)

The other two reviews talk about new RS5's. If you're reading this now you are looking to buy a used one. So what is it like after 3 years and 35,000 miles? I still get compliments wherever I go. The car still feels special when I get in and drive it. The engine still amazes - remember this is based on an Italian design so there is not a lot of torque or power until the revs build..... From around 3700 to 8250 redline it is wonderful. The transmission is one of the better dual clutch automanuals. Quick shifts in manual and very smooth in automatic. Handling is good for a big heavy car. You don't toss it into corners like my Boxster but the grip is pretty amazing and the special differential that the RS5 has actually makes the car very neutral in cornering.
The dynamic/sport mode and comfort mode make this into a very smooth quiet grand touring car or a car that you can have fun with when the road calls to you.
The car has aged very well. The interior still looks brand new and everything works as it did on day one.
I'm thinking that because of the depreciation of German high cost machinery this will be a good deal as a used car. But you need to find your own as mine isn't going anywhere.

Fun to drive, Aggressive looks, Great performance, Limited Production.
By marshallplacid

2013 Audi RS 5 Coupe quattro 2dr Coupe AWD (4.2L 8cyl 7AM)

Fun to drive, yet with drive select, you can make it as aggressive a ride as you want.

Custom your modes into 16 combinations

DRL LEDs.

Transmission = VERY smooth gear changing.

Exhaust sound = loud downshifts, great sounding upshifts and acceleration sounds.

Exterior design = subjective.
To me, it was aggressive in a very good way.

Uniqueness = only 1,500 to be sold and made for the North American market for 2013 and 2014 (check NA Audi President Scott Keogh's video interview).

Performance = Based on caranddriver's lightning lap times, it beats the M3, M5, M6, and V8 R8 by a slim margin.

Mileage = just enough efficiency to omit the Green tax.

1-Sport mode + Comfort mode together = smooth ride + loud exhaust sounds (the pipes open) 2-Aggressively great looks. I receive many, many looks from passer-bys and other cars. I also get many, many people checking out the car while I am in it. Some thumbs up. 3-You get the same V8 4.2L engine as the V8 R8. And, it beats the R8 in lap times as well (caranddriver lightning laps 2013). 4-Big trunk for a coupe. 5-Gimmicky... but... the motorized rear spoiler is a treat! I leave it up all the time, but it makes the RS5 look better. 6-The DRL LEDs are out of this world! No other coupe even comes close. All other coupes/GTs are playing catch up. 7-Limited availability. I was lucky.

1-Out-dated interior. To my knowledge, the interior is almost the same as the pre-facelift A5/S5 in North America. BUT, still good quality throughout the cabin. Just needed some MORE improvements. 2-More colour options for exterior and interior when I ordered.... 3-Long waiting time for production. I had to wait 4 to 5 months from the deposit date to get it. Right now, the waiting-time is STILL 4 to 5 months (ask your Audi dealer), and that is IF they have allocation. There are only 20 in production or sold for 2013-2014 for my province. That is rare indeed.

Extraordinary
By oberstb

2013 Audi RS 5 Coupe quattro 2dr Coupe AWD (4.2L 8cyl 7AM)

I replaced my 2010 S5 with a 2013 RS5 in December.
The S5 was great; the RS5 is an order of magnitude beyond that.
It handles beautifully (I never considered raving about steering but the way it steers had to be experienced to be believed: whoever thought turning a corner could be so much fun), the controls are well-placed and intuitive.
The Google GPS is a treat.
Let's face it, no one needs 450 horsepower, but my, my it sure is nice to have it.
Do yourself a favor and spring for the sports exhaust, 'cause if you ever feel depressed all you have to do is sit in your driveway and rev the engine; why take a pill?
If that doesn't work, just get it on the road and shift to sports mode.

This is a driver's car, so everything about it plays to that aspect. The specs discuss the steering, variable adjustment of front to rear drive, movement of power to the wheels on the side of the car going into a turn. From experience, I can say that the words accurately describe what happens, although you really have to drive it to feel it. Contrary to some comments I've read I just don't think that a 7-speed manual transmission would add anything of significant value. On the list of things I didn't know I'd really like is the adaptive cruise control: with it you could drive from one end of your state to the other on the interstate and likely never touch the brake.

I would like to be able to adjust the suspension, which ranges from firm to very firm. On a smooth surface it's not a problem, but on rough roads you feel every bump, rut, dip, or pebble. Also, it would be nice if the seats were cooled as well as heated. And, I'd like to be able to adjust the steering wheel with a power button rather than manually. The latter two are in the category of 'nice to have' but the former would be a real improvement. Your teeth and your back will not enjoy moving rapidly over rough terrain.