Used 2011 Audi A5 Coupe Consumer Reviews - 16 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Audi A5 Coupe Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific A5 model:

Two weeks owner
By kivaughn

2011 Audi A5 Coupe 2.0T Premium quattro 2dr Coupe AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

The overall design and appearance of the vehicle is great! This vehicle is definitely easy on the eye... The braking going downhill is a little shaking but on the flag service it's great. To have a 2 engine the accelerating is unexpected, unexpectedly great. Also the food fuel economy is an added bonus. I haven't had the vehicle long enough to determine cost of Maintenance etc etc but for peace of mind I purchased an extended warranty

Reliable sporty coupe that still looks great
By Andy

2011 Audi A5 Coupe 2.0T Premium quattro 2dr Coupe AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

I've had my 2011 A5 s-line 2.0t for over 4 years now, and it has met or exceeded all expectations. It did have an oil burning issue that is common to certain years of a4/a5/q5 with the 2.0t engine. This was fixed under warranty without issue and the car hasn't burnt a drop of oil since. Only other unscheduled maintenance in 4 years was a pcv valve that recently went bad and started making a screeching noise ($350 iirc). Overall at 73k miles now it has been very reliable, maybe moreso than expected, given my previous experience with owning vw/Audi, knock on wood. The car is on its 3rd set of tires, and I have not replaced brake pads and rotors yet in the 4 years and 50k miles I have owned it. City driving will give 21-22 mpg, with 30+ on the freeway (I've gotten over 500 miles on a tank before). The car is not fast but it is quick enough, and handles well. The build quality is great, especially interior materials, with no significant rattles on what is almost a 6 year old car. Rear seat space is good for a two door - I am 6'2 and have ridden back there comfortably on reasonably short trips. Trunk is large for a coupe. If I could change anything, it would be to have the sunroof open and not just tilt. Bluetooth audio would also be nice, not just phone compatibility. I am still a huge fan of the a5's styling and think it will look classic for years to come. I plan to keep it for at least a few more years. Overall I would highly recommend this car to a prospective buyer, just make sure it has has the piston ring/oil consumption repair done under warranty!

2011 Audi A5 is so so but fun
By Jeff DeBiase jr

2011 Audi A5 Coupe 2.0T Premium quattro 2dr Coupe AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

Overall the performance is decent. Acceleration is fun but only when the transmission is in the sport mode but the Quattro handling is on point 100% of the time. The trunk size is better than in the 3 series coupe but rear seating room is minimal and don't even try putting a rear facing car seat in if you'd like to have a front passenger. The front seats are comfortable and plenty of leg room is provided. As far as the layout of the entertainment system, it could have been better thought out because it is confusing but the sound quality is great. Another HUGE negative is that you cannot play music through Bluetooth unless you get the $89 tunetoair device on Amazin. Overall the car is fun, comfortable and reliable.

Get a BMW, Cadillac, Mercedes or anything else!
By Gavin Williams

2011 Audi A5 Coupe 2.0T Premium quattro 2dr Coupe AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

I can't begin to say how much I regret my purchase. Shame on Audi for poor design, poor quality and essentially everything else besides styling. People will compliment the car all the time on the looks but thats all the car is good at. I drive a lot (20k per year) and I must say driving this car is miserable. On the commute in stop and go traffic the turbo lag and engagement is severe. The brakes are subpar and don't give a confident feeling like BMW does. The interior is a surplus of plastic and feels cheap. The iPod cable is in the passenger glove box and is horrible to use an you will forget your phone every time should you plug it in. The Sounds system is good but the base rattles every plastic piece. Wind noise is high on the freeway and the seats are uncomfortable. After owning BMW, Lexus, Jaguar and cadillac this will be my last Audi for sure. Very disappointed and cannot wait to get rid of it!

*Update - after owning the car 8 months I was lucky enough to get out of it and purchased a Cadillac Escalade. I could not be happier and am so glad to have the Audi gone. Sharp looking exterior but awful car overall.

Glad to be rid of this car
By dontlikeaudi

2011 Audi A5 Coupe 2.0T Premium quattro 2dr Coupe AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

I bought mine new in 2011 and kept in nearly 4 years. My car burned oil. Audi settled a class action lawsuit because they used bad parts that cause this problem. Getting warranty to deal with this or any other issue was always a pain in the rear.

The programming also was annoying. Set your lights to auto and everytime to open the door with to grab the mail with the engine on you get a warning tone. Radio presets always have to be selected instead of staying in memory. Service light can only be turned off by audi not independent garages. If the passenger unbuckles, I don't need a tone every 60 seconds.

I traded for a BMW and am very happy I got out of this POS.

I liked the soft top because it still left room in the trunk.

Don't skimp on cylinder linings to save a few bucks. While your at it, hire some software engineers to clean up the programming and usability. And honor your damn warranties and treat your customers with respect. Audi lost any repeat purchase from me or my wife over this car. The poor build quality could have been tolerated if Audi treated us well when trying to deal with the problems in their car. Worst $50k car I've ever bought.