Used 2009 Audi A4 Consumer Reviews - 139 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Audi A4 Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific A4 model:

Avoid the B8 4-cyl’s
By Jake Farias

2009 Audi A4 2.0T Premium quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought the car with 53,300 miles on it, made sure all of the proper maintenance was done, engine recall was fixed with this car, and the interior was in such good condition, it looked as if no one ever really drove it. Everything seemed WAY too good to be true... well... it was. Lets just say I owned the car from a sunday to Thursday in the same week, thanks to the engine seizing. I would highly recommend approaching competitors of the a4 considering they are generally gonna last you a few years and hopefully keep you from losing damn near 8.5k.

Done With Audi - Got me a Honda
By Mel

2009 Audi A4 2.0T Premium 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

Way too much trouble than it is worth. Love the look, but money guzzler. Get rid of it as soon as the warranty expires; I kept mine way too long. The Final straw, Took to the Audi Dealer in Raleigh for a 360-degree service, they charged me an over $1,300. After a few day, check engine light, and check light bulb came on. (some sensor is always going bad) dealers charged me another $160 for the diagnostic test and told me I needed to pay another $550 for some part, and it could be more depending if they find any other problem. When I had a warranty, I was at the dealer REGULARLY! Should have let it go after the warranty expired.

I traded the 2009 Audi A4 for a 2018 Honda Accord Touring and is extremely happy. Reliability and peace of mind at last.

Love, Hate Relationship
By Mel

2009 Audi A4 2.0T Premium 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

Loved my Audi, but hated when it started acting up. "Awww Bwoy! What does this light means now?"

I love it when it works....
By Ethan D.

2009 Audi A4 2.0T Premium quattro 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

...but it breaks down too much. Blown turbo. Rear differential broke -- which destroyed the transmission. Random little issues. And then recently the oil pressure dropped, which means the engine is now toast. I bought it used with like 47K miles in 2012. Have had something wrong with the car almost every other year. And now at 108K miles it needs a new motor. That seems like a premature death. So while I love driving it when it works (great handling, good acceleration, sport mode is nice, very comfy inside), I can't handle the fact that I've put in almost as much in repairs as I spent on the car in 2012. I don't think I'll be getting into another Audi soon.

I really wanted to love this car...
By José Rosado

2009 Audi A4 2.0T quattro 2dr Convertible AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

...but I would tell anyone considering an Audi that you should be prepared to spend a good amount of money on maintenance. I purchased this car used with 47,000 on it. The first month I had the car I accidently leaned on the lid for the center console storage. The cheap plastic hinge snapped off and Audi wants $280 for a replacement. The tire sensors' battery went dead and you cannot replace the battery...I think the Audi sensor was $125 (?). I went with a generic at the tire dealer for less than half that. My air conditioning compressor failed at the beginning of the summer. A replacement is available online for around $300, but in order to get to it you literally have to take the front of the car off and support the engine with a jack. Most mechanics understandably want $1,300-$1,500 for that one. At the moment, I have an error code that indicates my high-pressure fuel pump is failing. It is a too common problem with these 2.0 Turbo engines that may be related to a cam follower on the pump. The story is that during a great demand for these cars a few years ago Audi contracted a new supplier to make these parts, which were made of sub-standard metal. In extreme cases, these parts disintegrate and the metal shavings can cause catostrophic engine failure. Audi is resisting the making a general recall. When everything is working well with this car, it is a joy to drive. Unfortunately, I haven't been feeling the farfegneugan (sp?) very often lately. My general impression is that the car is fussy and over-engineered.