Used 2009 Audi A4 Consumer Reviews - 135 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Audi A4 Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific A4 model:

I really wanted to love this car...
By José Rosado

2009 Audi A4 2.0T quattro 2dr Convertible AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

...but I would tell anyone considering an Audi that you should be prepared to spend a good amount of money on maintenance. I purchased this car used with 47,000 on it. The first month I had the car I accidently leaned on the lid for the center console storage. The cheap plastic hinge snapped off and Audi wants $280 for a replacement. The tire sensors' battery went dead and you cannot replace the battery...I think the Audi sensor was $125 (?). I went with a generic at the tire dealer for less than half that. My air conditioning compressor failed at the beginning of the summer. A replacement is available online for around $300, but in order to get to it you literally have to take the front of the car off and support the engine with a jack. Most mechanics understandably want $1,300-$1,500 for that one. At the moment, I have an error code that indicates my high-pressure fuel pump is failing. It is a too common problem with these 2.0 Turbo engines that may be related to a cam follower on the pump. The story is that during a great demand for these cars a few years ago Audi contracted a new supplier to make these parts, which were made of sub-standard metal. In extreme cases, these parts disintegrate and the metal shavings can cause catostrophic engine failure. Audi is resisting the making a general recall. When everything is working well with this car, it is a joy to drive. Unfortunately, I haven't been feeling the farfegneugan (sp?) very often lately. My general impression is that the car is fussy and over-engineered.

Love my Cabriolet!
By RITA MATTHEWS

2009 Audi A4 2.0T 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

It's it made for a single person!

Disappointed
By Ivan

2009 Audi A4 2.0T Premium 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

motor mounts gone bad at 38,000 miles.

47,000 Miles
By Patrick

2009 Audi A4 2.0T Premium 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

I bought the Audi A4 2.0T Premium 4 door sedan from my best friend (30 plus years) and his wife in April 2015 with 38,000 miles. I was extremely happy with the car - especially the acceleration and road handling. The first week of August 2016, with 47,000 miles on the car - the check engine light goes on and some unholy sounds begin emitting from the engine block. After two mechanics, I was directed to bring the car back to the dealer. After a day and a half, the verdict - motor and turbo are done. The dealer informed me that the motor/turbo parts were a mere $14,000! If I wanted to trade the car in, they would give me $500. Currently, the car is in a mechanic's shop in Brooklyn - it looks like the repairs, parts, labor will be around $11,000. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? I had a Toyota Camry for 15 years and never once had to make a repair of that cost and magnitude. Or maybe I would be better off with a Hyundai.

February 2017: Ended up paying $12,700 for a new motor, turbo and alternator from my friends mechanic in Brooklyn. Had contacted Audi and a personal service representative informed me that they would only pick up the costs if I had the car repaired at an Audi dealer. Spoke to a Vice President of Audi who directed me to their service website. I filled out a long, detailed questionnaire and NEVER received a response. My 2009 Audi A4 Turbo is running better than it did before these repairs. I have every intention of using the car through the end of the NY winter and then trading it in for a Lexus, Acura, or a Volvo. I've spoken with many mechanics who have agreed that it is near impossible for them to work on an Audi. Obviously, I will tell anyone to avoid the 2009 Audi A4 and the whole line of vehicles. The Audi representatives exhibited complete indifference to my problems with a 2009 line of vehicles
that had a detailed history of inferior manufacturing problems.
Additional: I traded in the Audi A4 for a pre owned 2014 Lexus GS350 AWD during March of 2017 that had 24,000 miles. I am extremely happy with the performance of the Lexus and the service received from the dealer - Ray Catena Lexus of White Plains. One final telling indication regarding the 2009 Audi A4 Turbo- it routinely appears as a Used Car to avoid in Consumer Reports annual car ratings. I'm aware that Audi manufactures several high quality vehicles but would not recommend an Audi based on my experience with the vehicle I owned. I will wholeheartedly recommend a Lexus & have two friends who have purchased or leased a Lexus based on their experience with my GS 350.

Audi stands behind their Product!!! Forever a Fan!
By Annie

2009 Audi A4 2.0T Premium Avant quattro 4dr Wagon AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Audi has my loyalty as a solid and ethical car company! And Boulder Audi (formerly Stammler) is the most amazing dealership I have ever encountered. First, my Audi A4 Avant wagon was my FAVORITE car ever..however, at 62,000 miles I was experiencing excessive oil consumption. I brought my car to the service department, and they replaced my engine at no cost to me. Unfortunately, and just over 20,000 miles later, I experienced a second engine failure, stranded in Flagstaff AZ on a road trip. I contacted Audi of America and the original dealership in Boulder where I bought the car. I also contacted Michael, my sales advisor at Boulder Audi/Stammler where I originally purchased the car. He was entirely sympathetic, helpful, and professional and forwarded my case to the Regional Rep for Audi. I doubted, however, that I would get any assistance from Audi, but I was only hoping that maybe they would stand behind their product. I am delighted to report that Audi America has agreed to replace my second engine at no cost to me after I presented my cars service history to them. It is surprising when a large company actually steps up and does the honorable thing. I am amazed but so encouraged by their business ethics! Audi/Volkswagen Porsche have my total loyalty in the way this was handled, and how they stand behind their product. I have always loved the way the car handled, but now, more importantly, I am so impressed by the business ethics of the company who stands behind their product.