Used 2006 Acura TL Sedan Consumer Reviews

Used TL for Sale
Select your model:
12345...27

Pros
Cons

Love at first sight but faded after the honeymoon.

Joe, 09/09/2016
4dr Sedan w/Performance Tires, Nav System (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

This car had everything I wanted but came at a price. Performance, technology, and looked amazing. There are many known problems with this particular generation of the TL. Bluetooth stopped working and the replacement was pretty costly. Cassette adapter for ipod/iphone music got stuck in tape deck. Went through 2 batteries within 3 weeks and Dealership couldn't figure out the problem. Once I was able to pry the cassette adapter out the problem went away. Another known problem is the nav system. The unit in the trunk doesn't last and the replacement is about $300 now from Alpine. Once the trunk unit stops working you lose all the touchscreen capabilities on the display (ie AC control, radio control, settings, etc). You also lose the voice control for the radio unit. Voice control for making phone calls still functions as it is not tied to the trunk unit. Lastly, the dashboard problem. AcuraZine's website lists many people that have reported a cracked dashboard. Mine 1st cracked around the airbag border on the passenger side. At first I thought it was an airbag failure mode but upon research discovered I was seeing what many people were reporting. Shortly after this initial crack I started getting multiple cracks across my whole dashboard. Looks horrible. Exterior paint is still holding up but some of the plastic coating around the window edge is peeling. With all that being said I still enjoy the car but haven't got to utilize a lot of the technology for about 5 years now. I'm looking to get rid of it soon and most likely will not buy another Acura.

A very nice car

AN, 12/19/2006

I bought the car for the sole reason I wanted a car that was reliable & would last me a long time since I'm the type to buy a car and drive it into the ground rather than lease it. I wanted something low maintenace and affordable. I did a lot of reseach into comparable makes such as the Infiniti G35, Volvo S60 and Lexus ES, and none could match the price for what you get with the TL. I didn't have to deal with option packages, everything I wanted was included standard for one low-price and it was under a brand that was known for reliability. It's both sporty enough where you can go cruising on a weekend yet, practical enough where you can run your daily errands, albeit in a bit more style.

BMW-Honda-BMW-Honda-BMW-Acura

dem3nted, 03/12/2011

I've almost always have had a BMW or Honda product in my automotive stable. Most recently, I had a 1995 BMW M3. Loved the power and handling but hated the maintenance. I also leased a 2006 Honda Accord SE-V6 and owned a 2003 Accord EX-V6 with navigation. Both were very reliable and quick but handling was crappy and interior was blase'. Sheet metal seemed like aluminum foil. BMW's always seemed more solid. Recently, I purchased a 2006 Acura TL with navigation with high mileage for a paltry sum of money. I must say that it is in an entirely different league than the Honda. Quieter and better built than Honda. Really gives the BMW a great run for the money.

Great Choice!!

drfidler, 03/07/2006

I did a ton of research and test drove several cars before purchasing my TL. I drove a BMW 325i, VW Passat, Saab 9- 3, and Lexus IS 250. I've always driven a Honda, and traded my Accord for my TL. This car is absolutely fun to drive, and has excellent power. It's hard to keep under the speed limit, and it is super smooth. My final decision came between the IS and the TL, and I chose the TL hands down. I'm 6'4", so comfort and room was important. I find the instruments to be easily accesible, and nicely trimmed. The seats are roomy and comfortable. There are hardly any blindspots, which is a plus for me! The IS, BMW lacked horsepower, plus much more $$$. The TL has everything!

TL is a MUST consider if looking for new car

Trevor, 03/04/2017
4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I have been an Acura fan for a long time now. That is because my first car was an Acura Integra. No matter what I did with that car it always ran and all repairs were reasonable. Just recently have come back to Acura from the Audi, BMW Mercedes and Lexus I owned over last 10 years. Not only is Acura less expensive with upfront cost but it is also less expensive when repairs, or maintenance is required. Plus insurance costs are much less the all German or luxery cars in same category as well. Besides being less expensive then any other luxury sedan in all areas. It's still provides you with a luxery sports sedan feel and look, with adequate power, style, handling and performance. If the logo was removed it would be very hard for anyone driving or looking at the TL and tell you it was not a German built vehicle. Every car ever made has its downsides, no matter what you look at. Most German cars repairs, parts & insurance cost is outrages plus BMW, Mercedes, Audi all I have a notorious issues with electronic problems. Which in itself is expensive and almost impossible to do yourself due to tools required and warranty restrictions on who must make repairs. Now wiTh ACURA it's like buying a luxury car with Honda or Toyota repair costs. If you have a little bit of know how you can repair majority of minor repairs and services for maintenance, saving you a ton of money overall. The gas mileage it's great for the size of the motor. If you drive it normally not take of like in race every light, you will not burn unnecessary gas and will get the gas mileage that Acura indicates the TL has 28City 32 HWY. If you repair the timing belt and water pump at 100,000 miles and keep up on the normal maintenance and service aka oil fluids, breaks, air filter, and milestone services. The TL has the motor with a proven potential last until 400,000 miles with very minimal expensive maintenance needs, outside of what I listed above. As performance goes you can make a few small upgrades to your air intake, headers, upgraded fuel pump and even the chip upgrade that is only 325.00 replacements/ upgrades for less the $1000.00. This will illuminate all performance lacking when comparing performance with BMW Audi Mercedes in the same class that are all at least 8k+ MSRP. All the upgrades I listed from audio to performance upgraded can be done very easily and inexpensively without voiding your manufacturer warranty, and will not cause any long-term mechanical issues. This motor has been built to last and will last forever if the proper maintenance is given. All vehicles need to be maintained but can still be problematic after 150k NOT the ACURA motors. They are built to last, very straightforward with minimal repair required if serviced. you can buy a Acura TL with over 100,000 miles if the timing belt and water pump has been changed and regular maintenance performed and not worry at all about any major mechanical problems. I agree that there are some features lacking and need attention. These are the Bluetooth/handsfree system is horrible. Only pairs with a small amount of devices, iPhone not being one?? There is also no AUX port, built in USB charger and auto on-off mode for head lights. Everything I just listed is all not a deal breaker for all those issues except auto headlight feature, can be fixed with manufacturer and OEM add ons. Remove indash audio controls/cd/cassette system & replace with an Acura or Aftermarket Touchscreen - voice activated audio system with NAV/DVD/CD/MP3/Aux Port,etc for $300.00-500.00. That eliminates all those issues and gives you everything you would get in a more expensive luxury car both performance and technology add ons. Take the money u save from BMW,Lexus,Mercedes,etc on insurance and cost you pay to buy, take a little of that saved money and make the Acura taylored to your exact needs and I promise you there will never be an disapotment. You will be even happier when u go to sell or trade in later on for the Acura TL keeps is value, because they do run forever with minimal matinace required!! Just do yourself a favor and at least testdrive one before buying any other luxury sedan, and consider that a small amount of money put into the vehicle will allow you to surpass any features or performance lacking from BMW or any other luxury sedan. Having that one Acura owner that is not like their car or regret their purchase.

Great looking car, but pricey & poor fuel economy

Keith Eliot, 11/27/2015
4dr Sedan w/Performance Tires, Nav System (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

This is a great looking car with Acura reliability. I have a '97 Acura CL with 223,000 miles and the thing just keeps going. I have owned the 2006 TL for over a year and have enjoyed driving it, but the biggest downer is it comes nowhere near the advertised fuel economy. Check the forums online and you'll see other owners saying the same thing. This is the main reason I'm rating this car 3.5 stars and not 4.5 stars. Its way over 250 hp and with that power and weight you aren't going to get great gas mileage. The quandary here is that similar Accords do get very good mileage, and my TL isn't getting close to what is advertised. I'm getting 16-17 in the city and only 19 combined. If I do take a rare highway trip its around 25mpg, but the downer is the city driving, I feel like it should be at least 20 mpg. Take this into consideration when buying. Acura is one of the only car manufacturers that had a Sirius XM receiver as stock in 2006, this is a huge plus! The stereo is also pretty awesome for stock radio, even includes a subwoofer. If you like keeping your paint perfect, the touch-up paint for the White Pearl model straight from Acura is a complete joke & will drive you nuts fixing little marks & dings. Its not even close to a match due to the two-tone nature of the treatment. You'll be spending hours to get one nick the right color from one or two base coats of white and then a dozen or so of the stupid pearl top coats to get the darkness to match because the base coat is way way too light. What every happened to the simple days or just one coat of paint in a touch-up tube that matched pretty well? The dual climate control works but doesn't work well if the passenger wants it warm and the driver wants it cold, the workaround is you have to turn the temp up really high on the passengers side to get warmer air to come out that side if the driver is pumping the AC. This is true in my car even though both sides have their own digital temperature control. Weird. A final complaint is you can lightly hear the interior creaks and noises when going over speed-bumps doesn't seem quite as solid as you would think from an Acura. You only notice this when driving along in a quiet car with the radio off. Nothing serious, but my 97 CL doesn't have this problem. The real selling point of this car is looks and reliability, if you can do with the weak MPG this might be the car for you. Its fun to drive, will impress the neighbors and is a real rocketship. If you can find a black interior, do it - stays much nicer looking if you have kids.

Great TL but has some flaws

CPT Keanu, 09/16/2006

Bought in July performs flawlessly on freeway. Quiet & very comfortable love the XM on desolate roads. Awesome highway mileage @ 31mpg going 75+mph! Great exterior & bi-xenons are invaluable. Love the interior blue hue color. To contrast its great features, in city its different. Must drive very very conservative to get decent mpg. Suspension rough over hard surfaces. Steering not responsive like TSX. Been to dealer 6 times; driver window rattling, trunk latch inop, headliner sagging took 3 attempts to fix! Now rough idle @ startup & weird idle fluxuations! Our many loaner TSXs are tempting us. Our 99 TL was made better. Never had rattling noises or tranny issues even at 160k what a car.

costs money to play

Jay Waseem, 10/04/2016
4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this 2006 base model TL after I sold my 04' 545i. I wanted something reliable, yet sporty so I purchased this TL. I bought it with 97k miles. It had an extensive service record, 50+ times serviced at a local acura dealer. One day check engine light popped up, and maybe 3 miles after that, my transmission was GONEE. Rebuild cost 4800 at a local mechanic shop. IT ALSO EATS THROUGH TIRES AND BRAKES. I put Michelin Primacy MXM4, and after just 15k miles, my tires are halfway gone. ( Alignment is within specs, as well as other suspension components). It's definitely the best bang for your buck, but I certainly don't see the infamous Acura reliability anywhere close to this model. Rattles and squeaks only when going over speed bumps, weird!! A lot of road noise as well. Accelerates & corners well, but torque steer is there. Make sure to use leather wipes on your seats, or they'll crack up in no time. No height adjustment for the passenger seat either. No aux, but who needs that when you have a cassette player (sarcasm). Don't spend anymore than 5k for this car & don't buy it from a dealer.

Other reviewers are too picky.

Jennie, 04/07/2010

I owned the 2003 TL before updating to the 2006. I also worked in Service at an Acura dealership. The most common complaint is the rattling, but a conscientious technician can fix that. (My car doesn't rattle and it doesn't happen in all of them.) Depending upon your personal driving habits, you *may* go through brakes and tires. If you want a good quality, reliable vehicle, get a TL. My two 80-pound dogs don't damage the interior and neither will your kids. The TL is also mechanically sound. I've worked in Service for other brands so believe me, I'm loyal to Acura for a reason. Compare cost, features, and reliability and it's no wonder that Acura has the highest resale value.

Love My TL

Steve P, 11/10/2006

This is my 3rd Acura. Had an 03 TL, and 04 TSX. For overall performance including power as a big factor for me, the new TL gets my nod. I'm a sucker for horsepower though. Love the fit and finish, smooth delivery of power, and well-engineered handling. A quiet cabin allows for a high-end listening experience with well-mixed DTS type DVDAs . Be careful what you buy, some of these high end discs sound no better than your average CD in the TL. Some reviewers have complained about a lack of bass. It is available, you just need to give the TL the proper source material. The TL is money well spent.

12345...27