2017 Acura MDX Consumer Reviews - 66 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2017 Acura MDX Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MDX model:

A Six Seater
By Trebor Rouscht

2017 Acura MDX Advance Package 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 9A)

Has only 6 seats

Go for it
By Michael

2017 Acura MDX Sport Hybrid SH-AWD w/Advance Package 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid 7AM)

You get what you pay for. Spend a little more and enjoy.

I’m so glad I leased. Beware
By Drue Pizzino

2017 Acura MDX 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 9A)

First off. This 9 speed transmission is absolutely horrible. Driving on the street it does not know what gear it should be in at all and the car literally jerks back and forth as the gears shift extremely rough. Coming to a stop at a stop light the car jerks as it shifts gears down. Then stepping on the gas at a green light and be careful you don’t smash into the car in front of you as the car stumbles into 1st gear and jerks and shoots you forward into second. Then second jerks the car into third. It’s absolutely horrible and very frustrating. I leased this car brand new in December and took it to the dealer two days ago in March. The dealer told me this is normal. When I reverse I hear a loud pop as if I ran over a plastic bottle. This is every time I reverse and again the dealer told me it’s normal. The Bluetooth connectivity is a joke because nothing works besides my music in my phone. Pandora doesn’t work, text message retrieval doesn’t work, Hell most of the time it won’t connect to my phone unless I go into my phone and connect to AcuraLink. I’m very dissapointed with the mdx and Acura overall. I won’t be buying another Acura. I will go back to bmw or Mercedes maybe even Land Rover when this lease is up. Acura is supposed to be a luxury brand but from my experience with them vs my experience with Mercedes, Lexus, bmw, and Cadillac. Acura has a lot to learn about being a luxury brand. I’m highly highly dissatisfied and await for the day I return this car and get a true luxury suv with a brand that stands behind their products.

Great vehicle, horrible transmission
By Steve

2017 Acura MDX SH-AWD w/Advance Package 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 9A)

My wife loves this vehicle. We've had several SUV's and apart from the transmission, this is her favorite. But the transmission....... when the vehicle is cold, it slips into 4th gear. It has from new and continued to get worse to the point the dealership replaced the transmission at 12,000. After replacing, the same thing is occurring as it did when it was new. So I anticipate in 12,000, if my attorney doesn't make Acura act more quickly, I'll be getting another transmission. After agreeing to replace the transmission, Acura factory reps, now say it is normal. I'd like to tell everyone to buy the MDX but you better really like your Acura Service Writer because you'll be spending some serious time with them.

Transmission problems already!
By Disappointed buyer

2017 Acura MDX SH-AWD w/Technology Package 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 9A)

I purchased a new, 2017 MDX SH AWD with technology package in February 2018 from Frankel Acura in Maryland and this has been my experience: The salesperson, Mark was helpful. The car had 378 miles on it when I purchased it. Immediately after driving off the lot, I noticed the timing of the transmission seemed to be off. I was pressing the gas, however the car was hesitating and then it would shift into 1st or 2nd gear, but the shifting was rough, enough to jerk you forward when the car finally moved. When I took the car to Frankel Acura for diagnostics and repair, I was told the vehicle was operating properly. I was also told that I would have to deal with the issue until Acura issued a software update for the transmission. The dealership offered no further action regarding the transmission. I was also told that once the car learned my driving habits, the transmission shifting might get better. Needless to say, I am disappointed in the performance of the vehicle and the dealership.