Used 2016 Acura MDX Consumer Reviews - 98 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2016 Acura MDX Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MDX model:

Transmission nightmare
By Charles Topor

2016 Acura MDX SH-AWD w/Technology Package 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 9A)

Transmission cannot be fixed. Has been checked 3 times and no software up date has worked Slow speed shifting is constant car looks great feels good but would not buy it again

Great car for the money
By Codyboy

2016 Acura MDX SH-AWD w/Advance Package 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 9A)

Have leased two in the past 6 years. Both cars were very reliable.

9-speed Transmission Needs to Go
By Bob K

2016 Acura MDX SH-AWD w/Technology Package 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 9A)

This is my third Acura. I am sorry i bought it. We purchased a 2016 MDX technology - a non titled dealer loaner in Oct17 with 9800mi. I cannot stand the jerking shifts the transmission makes when you start off. It is flat out annoying. And yes, as I read in reviews, it also lunges a bit when it downshifts right before a stop. Scarry. Also, if you use the paddles to downshift manually, the car goes into neutral for long pause between downshifts causing the vehicle to actually speed up (like it is in neutral) when you want to click down and slow down. The brakes are also questionable. It seems like there is air in the system. They really grab well if you hit them a second time every time you are stopping. They don't seem affective if you don't. We are also amazed how little drink holder utility there is. Don't think about leaving with two drinks - ie coffee and water. The USB ports are also extremely difficult to plug into. This vehicle also need a new driver door seal as wind noise rushes in next to the drivers left ear. And finally, good luck acclimating to the nav system. Wish I had spent more time in the Infinity - The QX60 is so smooth so quiet and so roomy. I hope I have given a potential buyer something to think about - especially the horrible transmission.

Transmission and Shifting
By PVT

2016 Acura MDX SH-AWD 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 9A)

I shopped for 5 years to get exactly what I wanted. I have some buyers remorse. I thought the new technology for saving gas and having more gears was great until the shifting had surges. The gear shifts are hesitant and not smooth in, both acceleration and braking. The funny thing is after reading all these reviews I see that I am not the only one having issues. My problem only happened after a few thousand miles. It dd not do this in the beginning. My car now only has 10K.

The Acura MDX Mistake
By Grace

2016 Acura MDX 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 9A)

After owning Honda for decades I decided to upgrade to the Acura brand. What a big mistake that turned out to be. The shifting quality is poor to say the least and the bang shifting it does every so often just to make sure your a wake is a nice touch. But the worst part of all is the Acura is not owning up to these problems and say that is the way these vehicles operate. So I say to them put that in your advertising.