Used 2015 Acura MDX SUV Consumer Reviews

Used MDX for Sale
Select your model:
12345...12

Pros
Cons

Bad Transmission

Diane, 05/17/2016
Technology Package 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I bought a used 2015 Acura MDX. You can feel the transmission changing with every gear. At slow speeds the car feels like it is missing. Took to dealer and software was updated but still same problem. Returned to dealer and was told it had an adaptable transmission and to drive it until it got used to the way I drove. I have driven it about 2,000 miles and still the same problem. Very disappointed as I thought Acura was a great car. Has anyone else had this problem?

Looking for Luxury, just can't find it in the MDX.

Gordon F, 02/11/2017
SH-AWD w/Technology Package 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

We chose the Acura MDX based largely on positive online reviews from car journals and magazines. I suppose we should've read actual owner reviews. The model appealed to us largely due to its advertised "luxury", and its size (with third-row seating) was a good match for our family of five. At $50,400, our SH-AWD model with Tech Package was certainly priced in the premium segment over the Honda Pilot on which it's based on. Unfortunately, as time went on, we grew to like the vehicle less and less. Amongst our major complains are the lack of luxury. This car simply does not feel luxurious. The windows (all four of them), when lowered even slightly, rattle uncontrollably. There is literally a half-inch of play. Acura dealer says this is normal. We don't think it is. The rattle is not only VERY audible and annoying, but it doesn't befit a $50k luxury SUV. Second, the overall interior feels cheap. Many parts are not aligned correctly, the materials feel like they were made by the lowest bidder. For example, our steering column cover has a huge gap in it. The pieces were clearly not correctly attached at the factory. When I brought this up with the dealer, he blamed me for breaking them and quoted me a price to replace it. Which brings me to my other major disappointment. Service. They do not treat their customers like valued luxury-brand car owners. They're more interested in constantly selling their high-margin services (ATF Fluid change, cabin filter, etc.), rather than addressing known issues. Our local Acura dealer is consistently cold-calling us, trying to sell us "specials". All this, despite the fact that Acura corporate tells me I do not need any service that is not displayed on the dash board. We're not due for an ATF Fluid change until 20k-40k miles. Our dealer said it was dirty and had to be changed at just 8k miles! The power liftgate has been to service three times now. Each time they claim to fix it, it breaks a day later. I don't even bother taking it in anymore. But reliability isn't a major issue for us. The car has been relatively low-maintenance. It's the little things that ultimately add-up to a less-than expected experience. The infotainment system for example. I'd expect it to be a little better. We own a 2015 VW GTI (for which we paid roughly half the price - $25k), yet the infotainment has a beautiful, fluid interface. It's fast, responsive, and does what you need it to do. The infotainment on our Acura MDX has an interface as if it were designed by a first-year graphic design student. They really aimed for the bare minimum. It's also slow and unresponsive. Changing functions or settings often results in a 2-3 second lag. Why not use an updated processor? The premium ELS Audio (as Acura calls it), is also, sadly, a joke. It simply sounds horrible. I don't have many cars to compare it to other than our 2015 VW GTI, whose premium "Fender" audio system is simply generations ahead of the one in our MDX. We're frankly just not that impressed at this, supposedly "luxurious" vehicle. It feels anything but, with a lot of the interior pieces feeling loose, being misaligned, and a the rattling windows and doors feel like they'll fall apart. I was quite optimistic about the vehicle when we first leased it, but over the past two years I've grown to really dislike it. We can't wait for our lease to be up next year.

A Nice SUV ripe with electronic issues - Too bad really

goddo, 04/14/2015
SH-AWD w/Technology and Entertainment Packages 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I feel like a guinea pig. I was sold a vehicle and I am the one testing it. This SUV is an amazing highway cruiser and family hauler when it's not in the garage for electronic issues. My vehicle has been in the garage for multiple two-week periods trying to fix an electrical issue and now the newest issue is the keyless entry/start system doesn't work. I can't even unlock the doors without removing the key from the fob, and I have to hold the fob next to the button just to start the car (even then you wonder if it will work). I have rattles, knocks, and electronic issues that you would expect from a $15K car but not from a luxury brand. I want to like this car, I really do.

Poor visibility in rear

mdx514, 01/02/2015
SH-AWD w/Technology Package 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Overall, I have been very pleased with my 2015 MDX AWD with tech package. After driving the car for a couple of months, I have become familiar with programming the nav and radio. My biggest concern with the model is the rear visibility. When crossing a four lane highway, stopping in the median to continue a left-hand turn, visibility is completely blocked by the rear window brace. I have experienced this a few times when the car is sitting at an angle and look to the right, you cannot see anything--very scary and dangerous.

GPS and Bluetooth are unsable- get a base model

jesseg2, 06/14/2015
SH-AWD w/Technology Package 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have had my tech package MDX for over 6 months now and can confidently say that a $100 tomtom GPS beats the in-dash hands down. Boot time takes about 60 seconds. Sluggish input. Passenger cannot input an address while moving. score 0 of 10. The Bluetooth phone is horrible. People ask if I have the windows down or if they are on speaker phone. My $100 Plantronics voyager works perfectly. Also can't press any digits on touchscreen when vehicle is moving. But can use the iPhone to press # for conference calls, etc. 0/10 Save your money and get the base MDX. I do love the ride and 28mpg highway that I average. Probably the most comfortable front seats on any SUV out there. 10/10 After owning for 3 years, not a single issue and they treat me well at Acura of Troy. 10/10

12345...12