Used 2004 Acura MDX Consumer Reviews - 229 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Acura MDX Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MDX model:

Beast that puts latest SUVs to Shame
By Sunil

2004 Acura MDX Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I recently moved to US and this is first car I bought based on overall reviews of used SUVs. I bought it at 131K and had no idea what to look out while buying a used car which costed me heavy since its all maintenance were pending. I spent over 4100 Buying 4 new Tyre, Timing Belt, replacing whole Power steering kit, front sway bars, rear shockers, driver side passenger door motor+regulator kit, front axles. The Car runs like beast, I haven't traveled very long distances but my last 500+ mile trip was great. Power is available when I want, it accelerates when I want, even after driving it 3-4 hours continuously, don't feel tired. While It was given for fix, I was offered Equinox and Nissan Rogue for driving and I'm not getting into those SUVs again. I tried couple of more SUVs and they felt like plastic boxes. Having spent so much, My Mechanic says this Car is now good for another 60K mile without any mechincal or transmission issues. I asked him how long can I drive it and he said it will easily go 300K + miles.

Pleased
By TT Smith

2004 Acura MDX Touring AWD 4dr SUV w/Nav and Entertainment System (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I spent a significant amount of time preparing for and shopping for a used vehicle as a primary vehicle. My previous vehicle was dying and I needed a replacement. Highlander, Lexus 330, Traverse ... but once I drove the MDX, I knew that a 2007 or 8 was what I was looking for ... Then I found this 2004 with only 88K miles and 'imported' from San Diego to Denver area. What a bulletproof beast she has been for the last year. Pretty heavy travel year, and I'm now at 112K with only great performance. Little bit more money into it after the purchase than I anticipated: timing belt, 105K maintenance, 2 motor mounts, new tires, new leather on the passenger side. But, I love the 3.5, the ride and the performance in the snow ... and great road trip vehicle for 1,000+ mile trips. Probably, the best vehicle I've ever owned -- we'll see. Basically, looks brand new so I expect that I'll get 5-10 years out of it. I agree with all of the positives listed on these reviews. Like the previous Lady's review, if it lasts that long, I'd be happy to keep it to 400K, I feel.

UPDATE 6/20/17: By the time the 4th of July Holiday is over, I will have put over 40K miles on this 2004 MDX during my 18 months of ownership. I'm happy. Other than the above, the only other things I've handled on this vehicle is having the worn out leather redone on the drivers side. Change the oil every 5K (uses about a quart), rotate the tires and get it aligned on the unlimited package at Sears. When I get to 150K I'll have the front end redone and replace the sway bar (about $1100). Otherwise, I expect she'll just keep going. Great road-trip vehicle.

400k miles strong
By Jill G.

2004 Acura MDX Touring AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This car was the best investment in a car we have ever made. My husband bought it new for me in 2004. I have just hit 401,000 miles. It still has the original engine, but the transmission was replaced about 200k miles. Regular maintenance and an exceptional service department have given this girl of mine the longevity she deserves!! A lot of history and many miles on the road together have made this purchase over 12 years ago a wonderful gift. My next car will be an Acura, likely an RDX, as the new MDX is way out of my price point, and nearly matches what I spent on my first house. I would and have on numbers of occasions, without hesitation recommend buying an Acura to anyone who will listen.

Just hit 170k miles and very reliable
By Costa

2004 Acura MDX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this as a third vehicle (instead of a work truck for my rental properties) with about 160k miles. I have owned it for a little over a year and it just hit 170k miles with no major problems. The original owner maintained it well for it's first 160k miles, as have I for the last 10k miles. I do have to replace the power steering pump soon, the loud whine that seems to be a common problem, but otherwise no problems. I have never owned a car with mileage this high so I have no basis for comparison but I am very happy with the reliability.

It also drives great and if the odometer said 50k miles I would believe it. The navigation system seems very modern for a 12 year old car and the leather is in like new condition. We have an Infiniti JX35 with 50k miles and the drivers seat is already more worn than this MDX with 170k miles; they must have used a very high quality/durable leather.

The only downsides are no blue tooth in the 2004, I believe 2005 models have blue tooth, and the interior is small for a 3 row SUV (trade off for handling well for a 3 row SUV).

BEST BANGS FOR THE BUCKS
By Tong Chang

2004 Acura MDX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have 335,000 miles on this car. Still going strong with original motor. Only changed out the Alternator, Belts, and struts/shock. Proper maintenance will this car will give you many years.