Used 2011 Volvo XC60 Consumer Reviews - 29 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific XC60 model:

2011 Volvo SUV
By Robb

2011 Volvo XC60 3.2 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

Best, most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. I have been so impressed that I plan to get another. Other than oil changes, new wipers and a new battery, it has required no service in the past 5 years.

Love this SUV / Crossover! Better than expected!
By Dave

2011 Volvo XC60 3.2 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I'd recommend this SUV to anyone looking for a nice vehicle (Family or not). I am a new father and needed a family car so the Mustang had to go. My wife wanted the Volvo for it's superior safety rating and I liked the looks. Turns out this vehicle handles almost as good as my Mustang! Not SUV like at all, as it has a nice suspension and very confident handling. Power is not bad at all with the 3.2L non-turbo engine as it likes to rev, can only imagine the turbo would be much more fun. I'm getting 21.5 mpg with all local driving and winter idling which was the most my V6 Mustang could make with mixed highway/city. The seats are very comfortable and the build is much better than the Ford I traded from. I'll keep you updated as I drive it.

Beware the OIL CONSUMPTION ISSUE
By mark

2011 Volvo XC60 3.2 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

Beware of the oil consumption issue. Bought a new 2011 xc60 turbo. After a few years, noticed that i needed to add a quart of oil between 5000 mile oil changes.
didn't think much of it. Only to learn, after it was beyond the warranty the oil needed to be added at more and more frequency.
After doing some research... "simply google Volvo oil consumption", then you begin to learn...

After complaining to Volvo, they offered to look at it.. after about $1500 in repairs, noting offering to change my oil trap (which i told them was already repaired and paid for), they said they did some necessary computer adjustments, and I must also purchase a new dipstick for the oil??? Didn't know why I would need a new dipstick??
After getting my next oil change 5000 miles later (happily with no new warnings of low oil level), my mechanic informed me that the car now takes 8 quarts of oil, instead of 7, and the new dipstick won't trigger the computer to state low oil level.

WOW..... look elsewhere or do your research

A reliable car that I want to like more than I do
By mihali129

2011 Volvo XC60 T6 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6A)

I leased this car beginning in 2011 and it seemed like a perfect match for me. I wanted an SUV as I need to get to work in even the worst weather conditions. This is my first Swedish car after years of driving German and Japanese makes.

The ride itself is firm. The acceleration is excellent with the T6. The XC60's only driving quirk that bothers me is that it has a very peculiar tight turn radius. That's fine if you want to make a U-turn in tight space but it actually takes care not to over-steer when parking.

The seats are remarkably comfortable in front and back and that cargo space is good. The electronics and build quality of interior materials leave something to be desired.

-Seats are remarkably comfortable with very good seat warmers. - Acceleration is great. Responsive steering (good and bad). - Very good ground clearance - Quiet at all speeds - Good quality speakers with package - Sunroof has great adjustability and is extra big

-Controls are confusing. I never thought any could be worse than BMW but these are. - Rain-sensing and intermittent wiper settings are nearly useless even after reading the manual. - NAV system is by far the worst I've ever used. Cannot be trusted at all; Tried resetting and updating. Entering an address is about as cumbersome as can be with multiple screens and dial jogging. Once missed a turn and it took me ten miles out of the way just to come back in a circle when any of a number of turns would have worked sooner. -Electronics interface is completely anti-functional. -Plastic molding at driver seat broke off with me getting out of car. I'm only 180 lbs!

Go for a long test drive
By missi4

2011 Volvo XC60 3.2 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

After a week of driving the XC60, I noticed a problem with the transmission, a hesitation when accelerating from a complete stop/speeding up to pass etc. Like driving manual transmission in the wrong gear. Took it for service repetedly. Volvo wouldn't admit a problem and told me to use premium fuel. One mechanic said it's a 5000lb car you have to gun it (!!). Finally they said they knew what was wrong and to wait for a software update, that took 6 months. It helped but the problem was still there. Volvo went back to saying there was nothing wrong with the car. After a year, I had had it and asked how much they would give me for the car to end this, Carmax gave me more. The GPS stinks too.

It is a beautiful car, very luxurious. Maybe even more so than the BMW I owned previously. It's a good care for short people too.

Transmission problems! GPS was worse than the car I had owned before it and that one was seven years old. Also, they put the controls for it on the back of the steering wheel and they give you a remote for it because they know that the controls are so ridiculous! I now owned seven cars in my life, Japanese, German and American and this is the only one I have had any problem with at all. I didn't have the time or energy to persue the lemon law otherwise I would have.