Used 2005 Volkswagen Touareg V6 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Volkswagen Touareg - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Touareg model:

Repairs - Often and Expensive
By 1st_andlast_vw

2005 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

Like previous posts I would not recommed this car to anyone unless they like paying for rental cars and expensive repairs. Just had my drive shaft replaced at 76,000 miles for $1,300. (Tip: search the web for shops that sell re-manufactured shafts for $450 to $350). At 52,000 miles the internal speaker in the instrument cluster went out, the VW repair is to replace the instrument cluster, the part alone is $1,000. It does handle nice in the snow but its a gas guzzler and tires (expensive ones) seem to last only about 30,000...we're due for our 3rd set at 76,000 miles. Also need a slew of special tools to repair if your a do it yourself person. Very noisy, due to wind, with the window open

Favorite Features

handles nice in the snow. Nice interior.

Suggested Improvements

Make it cheaper to maintain.

Lovely to drive, Costly to repair
By lilguma

2005 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I bought this SUV used and love it so far. Its true what everyone says about the brakes, tires, fuel efficiency and service. My tires were $800 for all 4 and the shop rotates my tires for free anytime i want to. Same shop tells me the brakes aren't cheap either $600 for ceramic pads up front. However, this truck is solid and safe you will bulldoze through snow and probably won't every hydroplane in the rain. You will love this truck until you get to the shop(try to stay away from the dealership, their labor is super expensive)

Favorite Features

Sound System, Exterior and Interior design, AWD system

Suggested Improvements

VW is KNOWN for electrical issues, Why do germans love premium gas, Why do cars on synthetic oil get 10k mile oil changes and this truck is rated for 5k. Change the size of the tires to one that everyone makes.

Overkill for USA
By Love it Hate VW

2005 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

Bought new in 05. Drove to work around DC area and on trips up an down the east coast. Hauled a boat trailer with great ease. This thing has torque! AWD is terrific in the snow. After 45000 miles the nav/radio would not turn off. Killed battery. VW replaced at 50,000 no charge but had to wait 6 weeks for the part!?! At 71000 mi noticed rough running intermittently. Dealer had to drop engine ($2500 P&L) and repair timing gear area (another $2500P&L) Serviced only by VW. Cannot guarantee repeat. If I had know of this possibility would not have bought it. VW has no idea how to address the luxury market. Loaner cars during warranty were trade ins not even VW!! VW America no help.

Favorite Features

Drive ability, stability, good looks if you like the brute look (I do).

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of existing dealers. They have no idea how to treat a customer. For that matter, VW should not be considered when looking for an upscale vehicle. MB, Lexus and BMW know how to stroke a customer with love.

Won't buy another VW
By Erica

2005 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I was initially really excited about my Touareg, but became suspicious after a road trip that included lots of error messages. When I brought it to the VW dealership to have it checked out, they were not willing to take the time to find out what was going on and told me to come back if it happened again. After a short year and a half we had to put $3000 into it for new tires, breaks, rotors, etc. None of which were included in the warranty although it was leased, I should have known, but was disappointed anyway. The lights go out while driving periodically for no apparent reason. The lining on the door handles are also peeling. Fuel economy is poor, but we knew that. The CD player is poor.

Favorite Features

It is a nice looking car.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel economy, quality CD player and speakers, standard navigation, electric seats, knowledgeable and efficient people in dealership repair shop.

love it
By love it

2005 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

I bought my VW with 24000 and know I have 60000. I dove it from Texas to Chicago with no problems. It is a very expensive SUV to fix, but if you change your own oil, or buy your own parts it's way cheaper. Tires are the worst. I still can't find a place that to get them changed. They run from 700 to 2000 dollars.

Favorite Features

My favorite features has to be the light and Stereo system. I can live with out it.

Suggested Improvements

Brake. to dam expensive.