Test Drive Jetta SE with 1.8 TSI
By carbuilder1 on
2014 Volkswagen Jetta SE 4dr Sedan w/Connectivity (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)
I leased my 2014 Jetta SE with Connectivity in November 2013. I was a long time Toyota Customer and was always happy. I was previously in a 2011 Toyota Camry, but wanted to reduce payment & insurance cost. I also wanted increase gas mileage without sac. room. Toy. gave a high lease price for 2014 Corolla.This caused me to look elsewhere.After test driving much of the compact segment,this Jetta Blew me away.I leased during the "sign then drive event" so I was able to get into to this vehicle which was a much higher equipped vehicle then all others I test drove.(IE.Cruze,Corolla.)For a lower lease price. The 170 HP TSI and 6 spd.Trans. are fantastic!Great Gas mileage 2.You'll Love it!-SE&above
Favorite Features
First drive to work,which is mostly highway,I got 37 mpg.However, I usually average about 34 mpg.Great!The heated seats and leather(leatherette) interior are great.Trunk room is class leading.Rear seat room, which is very important to me(2 kids) was very adequate considering segment.(It was much larger then the Chevy Cruze.)I am 6'3" and I can fit behind driver seat where i set it to drive with about 2"extra leg room.Added(2014)independent rear suspens. is smooth and good feeling drive.I cant say enough about the motor and trans.The balance of great power with great gas mileage is simply great. For about $15 lower lease payment(Corrola-LE),I got 40more HP,same mpg,leather,heated seats.& more
Suggested Improvements
Interior finish was better than most in segment, However it feels 85% Great Quality, 15% not. Probably what gives it a better price point. No other car I test drove was better quality interior though. Exterior is probably a matter of personal preference. It is simple, but has a look of aggression to it. I think it looks great and almost coupe like.I have Dark grey ext. and black int. It has daytime running lights, but they wont auto shut off if you leave them on.(I dont think.) Its new and I have'nt had it long, but its hard to think of many improvements that wouldn't add alot to the cost of this vehicle. Maybe a standard back-up camera at lower trim levels..?
By carbuilder1
on 04/23/14 19:30 PM (PDT)

Have had it now about six months. Gas mileage is actually better than 34mpg. Closer to 37. Did get 41.1 mpg the other day.(missed some lights). Hands Down my favorite car I've had. It is just great all around vehicle. I sacrificed nothing to get the gas mileage. Solid power. Comfortable and feels like it's built with quality. Fastest car in its class, unless you upgrade to the 30,000$ ish civic si, sentra Se-r or Volkswagens own 2.0 t available in higher trims. All of which get lower mpg. Mazda 3 worth a look.(smaller) But this Jetta makes test drive list.

By jjpcat
on 05/02/14 14:00 PM (PDT)

Did you calculate mpg yourself? Or did you get those numbers from the onboard computer? Good review.

By carbuilder1
on 06/08/14 10:19 AM (PDT)

Both, Ive had cars that read higher than reality. Seems Vw is pretty accurate readings in the car. Its worth noting I have a pretty optimal drive for mileage. Also, my review is based on the SE with the 1.8 TSI. It is very significant that readers realize the difference between that and the other motors available for the Jetta.(Particularly the 2.0 base engine. Despite not having a turbo that model gets much lower mpg.) The motor in the car Im reviewing actually pushes on the TDI models mpg a bit... With the cost of deisel(higher) the gap in little to nil in savings. However, the TDI has a higher sticker price.