Used 2009 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

2009 Volkswagen Jetta

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

BW loves his VW
By BW

2009 Volkswagen Jetta S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I bought this car a month ago from Carmax and am very glad I did. I wanted did buy an imported car and was very pleased at the standard options that come with the S model of VW Jetta. The triptonic automatic is excellent, it has 6 speeds and has an S mode which is excellent at launching the car to terminal velocity at any street light. This car is very fast 0 to 30 and 60 mph to get on a highway. The gas mileage is great on the highway and gets at least 30 mpg. City mileage is disappointing around 20-22 mpg, but it makes up for it for being geared to go very fast. The trunk is HUGE! You have to see it to believe it. Its amazing how VW engineers did a tons of things great for this car.

Favorite Features

Blue/red dials on instrumental panel, kickin stereo with great sound, excellent driving safety features, S mode, seat warmers, 6 speeds, comfortable seats, big trunk, and excellent fit and finish.

Suggested Improvements

Auto-dimming mirror as standard. More information available on instrumental panel like miles to empty and average MPG. City mpg should be closer to 24-25 mpg.

TDI fuel system self destructs!!!
By No More TDI For Me

2009 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

The '09 TDI was in many ways the best car I'd owned in 20+ years. Safe, comfortable, good handling in snow, and amazing MPG (44 hwy, 37 city over 20K miles). However, the TDI has a faulty high pressure fuel pump design and complete failures are showing up all over the US due to the poor quality of US diesel compared to Europe. Bottom line? at 21K my pump failed and shot metal particles through the entire fuel system. It was all replaced (tank to injectors) at a cost of about $10K. This was covered by warranty and the dealer was great-- but there is nothing to prevent it from happening again, out of warranty. And who needs are car that may self-destruct without warning at any time? Stay away.

Favorite Features

6M transmission, handling, fuel economy

Suggested Improvements

Do not buy a TDI until VW has a proven fix for the failing high pressure fuel pumps-- this applies to all models, all years 2009-

3rd Diesel and the best yet
By Marc

2009 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

This is my third VW diesel (85 Golf, 98 Jetta,09 Jetta) What a car! Very fast and shifts like a manual. 22300 miles so far and have averaged 44.7 mpg combined hiway and city driving. Drove from eastern CT to northern Alabama and back on 41 gallons of fuel. Thats over 52 mpg. Much quieter that the other two I owned.

Favorite Features

DGS 6 speed transmission, sat radio, great interior and Audi like looks for less money.

Suggested Improvements

None

This is a risky car to own.
By JamesG

2009 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I just sold my 09 TDI Jetta today. I will miss it, it was SO much fun to drive on the high-way. Fuel pumps (HPFP) are failing in this model, repair can cost $8 - $10K. VW is being very wissy-washy about covering what appears to be a growing issue. To much risk for me, good luck if you decide to buy.

I love my Jetta, mostly...
By Barnaby S.

2009 Volkswagen Jetta S PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I enjoy driving this car very much. I had a Toyota Camry before and that car was so boring to drive I didn't really enjoy going place, it almost put me to sleep. This car is a joy to drive, I get in it sometimes to drive just for no reason other than to drive. It does have more annoyances than I am used to however. It has many squeaks and rattles, which seems unusual for a newer car. Though the seats are very comfortable, and the interior looks nice, and everything is very easy to use, the car makes many noises that are disturbing. There are probably 6 or 7 different intermittent squeaks and rattles that present themselves regularly, very annoying.

Favorite Features

Comfortable heated seats, large trunk, heated mirrors, smooth transmission, very fun to drive in sport mode, handles nicely if a little soft for my tastes - noticeably softer than my old Jetta. Decent radio, very good climate control, many thoughtful features.

Suggested Improvements

Better build quality. I have had repairs already to the front suspension at less than 20k miles, and another noise in the front suspension that I hear regularly but the VW dealer claims is "normal" and "safe". Also my car has multiple annoying rattles and squeaks on the interior.