2009 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
I love my Jetta!
By Stefanie on 04/09/10 20:27 PM (PDT)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I absolutely love my Jetta. It has so many upscale features and is a great value and fun to drive. For a fairly small car, it's incredibly well designed, making optimal space in the backseat and a large trunk. When my lease runs out I plan to get another one! Why would I buy any other car?

Great choice
By Mustafa on 03/13/10 14:15 PM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

We love our TDI Jetta. It works great for our long trips. No need to fill up for over 500 miles on a highway. First diesel and loving it. Interior looks and feels great. Heating is not that great, but heated seats help a lot. We had issue with check engine light, and it was fixed under warranty. A lot of space in the back for all the bags.

My TDI Eats Hybrids For Lunch
By pgallagh on 03/09/10 11:49 AM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta TDI Loyal Edition 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I love this car!! Been driving a 94 Honda Accord forever (231K miles), and finally decided to treat myself to a newer car. Love my TDI Loyal edition. Bought it one week ago used w/31K miles and it has been fantastic. First day on my 120 roundrip commute got 46mpg and have avg. 41.6 since owning it. You'd never know it was a Diesel. Too bad USA automakers are too stupid to realize the DIESEL is the future!!! When I see Toyota, Ford, Honda advertise their cars get 32mpg (which is good), I shake my head knowing that I consistently beat that by 10mpg regardless of where I am driving. And no darn haz-mat battery to replace with a Hybrid. GO GET ONE WHILE THEY ARE STILL AROUND!!!!

Back to Volkswagen
By James Coombes on 03/06/10 08:28 AM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta TDI Loyal Edition 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Owned very reliable Camry for years, but decided to try VW again after many years. I couldn't be much more pleased. I love this car. It's fun to drive (Camry was boring) and I average 39 mpg in mostly urban/suburban driving. Yeah, my iPod adapter is a joke, but they updated it on the 2010s. DSG works great for me, though it does feel a bit different than a standard automatics. You can easily adjust to it. My biggest decision was 16" or 17" wheels. 16" ride better over expansion joints. 17" handle better in tight curves. I wish I had both! So far my TDI is a great car. My local dealer is excellent too.

Jetta sportwagon SEL manual
By eurosteve on 03/04/10 19:34 PM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen SEL PZEV 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This is a great car! Buy it. It gets better gas mileage than my mini cooper S. Its fast, corners wonderfully. Is a great family car for 5. Its a GTI with kids. I still don't know why people buy minivans. Its hard to keep it under 95. Had it for a year without any regrets. Oh by the way, either get a manual transmission, or ride a bicycle instead.

Loved my Car!!
By Nikki on 03/03/10 16:50 PM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

We purchased this car because we were looking for something that got really good gas mileage but wasn't a hybrid. Ended up getting 32 average mpg city. Just recently got in a car accident and it held up well. No one was seriously injured when our Jetta rearended car in front of it at about 40 mph. I loved this car!

Definitely worth every penny
By Dee on 02/25/10 17:36 PM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

This car definitely has a very solid feel to it, especially when compared to other brands. We found the rear legroom to be plenty for people under 6'. The downside is the 2.5L feels boring, heavy and slow, plus it's mileage isn't that great in the city. Wish they would've kept the 2.0T, but they wanted better reliability, so 2.5L it is. Interior is typical VW quality, although it's a little drab especially if you have the black interior. The quality of the V-Tex is very good, but it makes the front seats are a little too firm. Trunk is huge huge huge. Lots of features not found in other cars of it's class, such as heated seats, heated mirrors, etc. Haven't had any reliability issues so far..

Good car, but bad reliability, warranty
By Carlo Mirak on 02/23/10 16:40 PM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I have had this car for one year, and put 40,000 miles on it. The radio stopped working several weeks ago and a radio should not stop working after only 12 months. My warranty was up at this time because I am at 40,000 mi. And was told that it would cost me $980 not including tax and labor! I called the 1-800 number and was transferred to a "customer advocate" to hear my problem. I explained to them that if it was a moving part in the vehicle I would understand but this was outrageous to pay for something like the radio which should last longer than one year. I love german cars, however I am never going back to a volkswagen. No wonder they have 200 complaints out of every 1000 cars sold.

update........
By resipsa on 02/22/10 14:19 PM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Have now had the car for approximately 10 months, just under 15K kilometres. So far, no problems, though it did need the DSG transmission flash. Warranty on trans. extended by VW as well. I look forward to driving it daily. Has plenty of grunt and hugs the corners like it's on a rail. It just feels pleasant to drive, very ergonomic and everything makes sense how it's situated. Good cargo capacity and has stood up to two young kids well. The diesel engine is a pleasure and the mileage, as far as I can gauge, is great. It's parked outside during the day and has never failed to start in a Calgary winter. Would gladly purchase again.

Best for the planet and pocketbook!
By PZeiger on 02/04/10 13:15 PM (PST)

2009 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I'm acquainted with diesel because the last time I visted my relatives in Austria, they picked me up in a Audi A6 diesel. I previously owned a second generation VW Scirocco in the 80's and although I loved the car physically, it was a mechanical nightmare. Eventually got 140K on it but with two transmissions! This TDI is an unbelievable car! Everything is well thought out and superb quality. VW's attention to detail is unmatched. Little things like the back of the seat belt fastener has velvet backing on it so it doesn't scratch or make noise! The interior of the glove box is velvet lined like a jewelry box. The drive is true German, sporty, responsive, crisp, and joyous!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Volkswagen Jetta in VA is:

$138 per month*