2005 Toyota Sienna CE 7-Passenger Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Sienna - Consumer Reviews

2005 Sienna Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sienna model:

Sort Reviews by

Sienna wheel bearing woes
By B a C

2005 Toyota Sienna LE 7-Passenger AWD 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Owned Sienna for 4+ years now. Only 120,000 kms on vehicle and both front and rear bearings simply worn out. Very expensive to replace, as both bearings and hubs replaced same time. ($ thousands). No help from Toyota to date, but I continue to ask. Tires were an issue, but they did replace under recall. All toyota AWD vans seem to chew the tires off their rims! We had AWD Previa before and same problem with tires. Power window fell off track and over $400.00 to replace. This is an extremely expensive van to buy, and maintain. Paid over 45,000 taxes in, and still forking out thousands to keep it on road after only 4 years. Most parts are only available through dealer.

Favorite Features

Very comfortable to drive, especially on longer trips.

Suggested Improvements

Build with parts that stand up to Toyotas quality statements. Toyota needs to open their parts to other manufacturers to allow competitive pricing to lower costs.

Do Not Buy
By Do Not Buy

2005 Toyota Sienna LE 7-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

From day one anything that could go wrong did. Replaced battery in 3 months, brakes and rotors at 28K miles, tires 30K, miles, door hinge broke, sliding door hinges rattled, seat belts locked up, struts and mounts replaced @ 60K, transmission and torque converter problems start at 45K, at 94K are terrible, still have extended warranty so of course Toyota can find nothing wrong with it. Have also replaced fuel speed sensor, rear air vent goes on and off by itself. Toyota won't fix that either. (guess I have to wait until the extended warranty is up) Windshield whistles??? Very, very, frustrating. Let's not forget replacing the spark plugs 35K miles too soon. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON AN EXTENDED WARRANTY!!!

Favorite Features

Comfort, I love the ride.

Suggested Improvements

Stand behind your product! When something needs repaired, fix it even if it is covered by an extended warranty!!! Serve your customer, not the extended warranty company! Improve the wind noise.

2005 Sienna Disappointed
By Dave

2005 Toyota Sienna LE 7-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Thought Toyota would stand behind their vehicles better. Have had on and off problems with the airbag sensors for 3 years, ultimately cost $3500 to resolve the bad wiring harness. Toyota National said too bad, you aren't in warranty and since this is your first Toyota, you are not brand loyal yet. Will go somewhere else on the next vehicle. Disappointed. Hard to believe in this economy they have too many customers and can show that level of disinterest.

Door Horrors
By Door Horrors

2005 Toyota Sienna LE 7-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Not only did the side sliders break, but now the driver's door hinges broke. Dealer advises that Toyota extended the warranty to 100K due to the problem. Glad the door didn't fall off on the freeway before they told us. Also the Rear lift somehow is tweaked. Now, all that for a car that has taken children to church, school, and me to work locally. Car never was in an accident. I am super easy on a car. So much for Toyota quality.

Favorite Features

Its a mini-van.

Suggested Improvements

Toyota, pay attention to quality builds. Advise customers of something so minor as a safety concern, like a driver's door that breaks off!!! Sheesh!!!

Clunking
By Beth

2005 Toyota Sienna LE 7-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Off the lot, the rear AC did not work. Then the driver door was replaced as part of the recall (note that we had had problems with the door, but were told repeatedly that nothing was wrong). At 2 years with the Sienna, noted a clunking sound when turning. Toyota service department found no problem. Clunking persisted for the next 2 years. Now, have had to replace the rack ($1200). No more clunking, although service department states that the two were not related.

Sienna XLE 1995 Experience
By David A Willis

2005 Toyota Sienna XLE 7-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

This has been the best car we've ever owned (I bought my first car in 1956). It has been extremely reliable. My only expenses have been for new tires and a new battery. I do nearly all my own maintenance. I follow all recommended maintenance recommended in the car's manual.

Favorite Features

Comfort, flexibility, reliability, looks.

Suggested Improvements

None. The best car we've ever owned!

Careful of Sliding door and run flat tir
By Darlene

2005 Toyota Sienna LE 7-Passenger AWD 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I have been ok with my mini van, but I would NOT recommend this van to a friend. First I had huge problems with the Run Flat tires- that Toyota eventually agreed to replace one set- after I had already paid for a set- then of course those wore out fast too- Now I'm stuck- even though I put on regular tires- I can't get a spare for less than $700!! Brakes also wear fast on AWD, very fast! Next HUGE problem both of my sliding back doors started sticking and giving me problems just two years after I bought it- Now neither will open and I'm being told it will cost 3,600 to fix- the car isn't even 5 years old yet AND one of the parts was just replaced 14 months ago, will it just break again?! Owned a Toyota tercel before for 5 years with NO problems & husband owned a Camry with no problems. Too bad I can't say the same for the Sienna.

Favorite Features

space, all wheel drive

Suggested Improvements

Sliding doors- my weather stripping fell down too! Least of my worries with this vehicle. Tires. Breaks, Attitude at dealership that it's not their problem.

It looks nice, but has been a nightmare
By Timothy

2005 Toyota Sienna XLE Limited 7-Passenger AWD 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Before purchasing our XLE Limited we had rented an LE for a 3 week road trip....that sold us...into a nightmare. Bought it for almost 40k, fully loaded. All of the features are nice however at 60K miles we are on our 4th AC system rebuild, 2nd center differential (first one locked up at 70mph on the freeway), 2nd drivers door (check strap broke, punch through the outer skin). In short we have had it for 4 years, and spent almost $7000 in REPAIRS (not maintenance like oil changes, tires, brakes, etc). Our case has been review by Toyota several times, and we have been told the situation is normal...both my other cars (Cadillacs) have 170k+, and have cost a lot less then this to keep running.

Favorite Features

Laser Cruise, Nav, power rear doors & tailgate.

Suggested Improvements

Make it reliable...after the center diff locked up and sent it skidding to a stop on the freeway, wife won't drive it.

Best Van Yet
By Donal Kaehler

2005 Toyota Sienna XLE Limited 7-Passenger AWD 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

We have owned a Toyota van which we traded for a used Previa at 210,000 miles (my son still drives it) and finally this Sienna. This is our favorite van and we have taken several cross country trips as well as winters in Wisconsin. I have never felt safer in any car I've owned. We have not had any mechanical failures and enjoy great service support staff. This is our 8th Toyota vehicle and I can't see us buying any other make (except my Porsche of course).

Favorite Features

100 volt outlets, cruise control, storage space, acceleration and handling

Suggested Improvements

We have run flat tires... our 3rd set.

Toyota Sienna - A busy family must have
By Debbie

2005 Toyota Sienna LE 7-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I thought we needed an SUV with three kids. What I found was that my Sienna has everything an active family needs. Starting in the back. There is plenty of room for sports gear, backpacks and a trip to Costco. The seats are easy enough for me to put down or take out by myself. We've even fit a 4x8 sheet of plywood when a pick up was unavailable to borrow. With seating for 8, we purchased the 8th seat option, I never have to think twice about transporting the kids' friends. With hooks and pockets and drink holders, everybody has what they need at their fingertips.

Favorite Features

My favorite features are the sliding doors and fold-in rear seats. Love knowing I can do a whole day's outing and fit everything and everybody in one vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

Electronic seat adjustment, is too slow and would be easier to just move manually. The hatchback hydraulics went out, was replaced under warranty new unit does not allow door to open as high. Auto sliding door does not stay open on a hill. Keyless remote should have better longevity - time/distance.