Used 2005 Toyota Sienna Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota Sienna - Consumer Reviews

2005 Toyota Sienna

View reviews for a specific Sienna model:

Was in love, but now just in 'like'...
By wismom

2005 Toyota Sienna XLE Limited 7-Passenger AWD 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Loved this van when I bought it used in 2009. Spacious interior, reliable. Then it let me down. I opened the sliding passenger door and it wouldn't shut. Tried to override to manual...but no luck. Still wouldn't shut. Called Toyota, they filed a claim and provided a # then said management occassionally 'reviews'. But they could do nothing. Called dealership and they said they've never heard of such a thing. Went online and TONS of Sienna owners are dealing with the same issue. Apparently it is with the cable in the door. It either frays, jambs, or has other issues. Cutting the cable is a quick cheap solution and works! Now I carry a wire cutter for when the other door fails.

Favorite Features

Roomy, lots of storage, cup holders, and very reliable.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the sliding door cable issue. Or at least provide a solution so a person can manually override the system and close the door. This is a big safety issue!

Stay away from 2005...
By jinxx15

2005 Toyota Sienna CE 7-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Bought my 2005 Toyota Sienna in June 2009, had it till May 2011. We started to notice a ticking noise coming from below the car, turns out the tranny was done, and we also found out later that week that the radiator was leaking! They wanted 4200$ to fix the darn thing! When we traded it in it for a new car, it turns out that 5 years earlier, the van had been in a 7000$ wreck which Guelph Toyota failed to disclose... I would never go Toyota again.

Favorite Features

Smooth ride, generally good interior materials, nice to drive, lots of space for everything, and smooth handling.

Suggested Improvements

Slow transmission performance, uncomfortable 3rd row (very lacking in thigh support), blind zones galore, and just a little bit underpowered.

Good choice, only complaint was cost
By Thomas Mommy

2005 Toyota Sienna LE 8-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I love this van. I drove 2 dr sport cars before motherhood. I love cars, and this fits me as a woman who loves cars. As good as it gets, always comfortable driving long distance with no breakdown fears. I have drove nine days alone in Toyota models over the years with NO FEAR. I had power door replaced under warranty. Only real problem with 2005 model. I have learned to have general suggested belts, brakes, and other repairs done by local mechanic verse dealership to save on cost. Recently had the two belts for alternator and AC replaced due to loud squealing noise for two months. I believe this only happened because I moved into Mountain regions and ran the AC hard in the mountains.

Favorite Features

Seats, for short lady is great. Ease of moving around seats for storage without another adult to get the job done. Love the auto side door for small children.

Suggested Improvements

Recent issue with paint chipping on fender near auto door. I most get estimate from auto-body repair before winter. Also if you purchase used, find out if original owner had auto door replaced under warranty. If replaced its GREAT! If not, it can be a pain. I spent one afternoon waiting on repair.

Fine Van
By Tom

2005 Toyota Sienna XLE Limited 7-Passenger AWD 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Bought used with 92,000 miles; now has 101,000 miles and have loved every mile. Replaced a 2006 le that gave excellent service but I wanted to own one with all of the extra button spaces used so this xle limited awd has it all! Run flat tires were replaced with regular tires so I had to buy a spare but found a new one at a salvage yard for 100.00. Gas mileage has been about 24 mpg but the awd grip makes up for the 2 mpg less that the le. Have had no problems with anything and have taken three 1000 mile trips this summer. The only minor problem was a frozen bolt when I had the timing belt changed but the cost was minimal. It drives and rides superbly and makes long trips a pleasure.

Favorite Features

Handling and ride comfort ,DVD , power sliding doors and especially the power lift gate.

Suggested Improvements

AWD models cannot mount a spare underneath so the spare takes up some trunk space .

Lots of Interior Space
By KeithS

2005 Toyota Sienna CE 7-Passenger Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

We bought this car because my wife needed lots of room to haul around products for her business. It's great for long road trips: comfortable seats, cruise control, and telescoping steering wheel with well-designed controls, lots of cup-holders, and plenty of electrical sockets for technology gadgets. Maintenance-wise: changing the oil and replacing front brake pads are both quite easy. However, accessing the rear bank of spark plugs is almost impossible; dealer charges $400+ to change all 6 plugs. Replacing the air filter and rear wiper blade were a pain. Airflow over the windshield has a "whistling" sound. The paint on front chips away too easily. No "really big" repairs yet, though.

Favorite Features

Interior space, ride comfort, sound and DVD systems, highway gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

Better paint, disc brakes on rear like our Odyssey had, better design of rear wiper, fewer rattles, less wind noise