Used 1999 Toyota RAV4 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific RAV4 model:

danger k frame rustout
By larrr

1999 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV AWD

Danger front k-frame rust out can cause fatal accidents. Toyota and NHTSA know about this but they don't care. check before you buy check it if you own it repair about $1.5-2k more things to fix on this car 125k mi. than my old Dodge Caravan 173k mi. never trust Toyota again

unsafe hard to work on poor designee top heavy on turns rough ride

Toyota to stand behind product quality and safety better stability k-frame made of better quality metal and designed not to rust out so quickly recall and notify owners of Rave4 safety problems

Just Bought
By grinchmobile

1999 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV AWD

Just bought this vehicle for under 4k. Have had it for a couple of weeks and am amazed. Over 142k on it and all it needed was a new windshield and battery. The drive is excellent and the quality of the interior is amazing for a vehicle this old. No squeaks or rattles. I am looking forward to having several great years of driving this vehicle.

The amount of storage space is great but the vehicle is small enough to slip in and out of tight parking spaces.

Cannot think of any.

Keeps on going after 320K miles
By kenrk

1999 Toyota RAV4 Special Edition 4dr SUV AWD

Back in 1999, my dad drove his RAV4L off the lot with 50 miles on the odometer. Today it has 320,000 miles. He still drives it everyday to work with no trouble. Throughout the years I've borrowed it to tow a log splitter and 20' foot sail boat. I've been in some crazy snow storms with the RAV and it did great. Took it over 100mph a couple times. Put kayaks on the roof rack. It still has the original exhaust system, starter, alternator, battery. Oil changed every 3k. A/C still works. Not a spot of rust. Just regular stuff like brakes, shocks, tires, and timing belt every 100k. I'm considering getting my own as a winter vehicle...just figured I'd share how great the Rav has been for my dad.

Love my little "beep beep"!
By smokefan

1999 Toyota RAV4 Special Edition 4dr SUV AWD

In 2007, I totaled out my 2000 Dodge Neon (good little car, too) and my brother and his wife gave me their 1999 Rav 4 L to drive. At first, it was a rocky relationship b/c I couldn't drive a standard...but once I got the hang of it, I learned two things: Standards are way more fun and this little truck is one of the best investments you could ever make! The truck had around 80K when I got it and I've put another 100K on it. The only thing I've had to do is replace the timing belt, which is an item you can expect to replace after time anyway. Other than diligent oil & fluid changes, I've not had to put any money into the "beep beep" and I think she'll stay in my family for years to come!

Surprisingly comfortable; accomodates all heights/sizes of folks. Good gas mileage; lots of room in the back seat and in the back storage area;

The ONLY thing that I'd even come close to complaining about is the back door...that wagon type, swing to the side business...takes some getting used to. Other than that, this little truck is a charmer!

HAVING A HARD TIME PARTING WITH MY CAR
By meleirs

1999 Toyota RAV4 4dr SUV AWD

I HAVE HAD MY rav4 FOR ELEVEN YEARS, IT HAS BEEN REALLY GOOD TO ME THAT I AM FINDING A HARD TIME BUYING A NEW VEHICLE. I AM NOW A GRANDMOTHER AND NEED SOMETHING MORE SPACIOUS AND MORE NEW.