Used 2004 Toyota Matrix Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Toyota Matrix Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:

the best car I've ever owned
By rebecca perkins

2004 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR AWD 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car in April of 2003. In November of the same year I was in a head on collision with my 10 year old daughter and my 5 month old daughter in the car. The car was totalled, but all three of us came out just fine. It held up beautifully on the inside, enabling us to walk away. I am now looking to buy another car and guess what I'm getting: a 2004 Matrix. I loved it that much! It was fun to drive and had plenty of room in the back for all of our "baby stuff". I highly recommend this car to anyone I talk to.

6 speed baby
By ruben lie

2004 Toyota Matrix Wagon XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

This car is awesome. I love my xrs, the styling is very nice. It looks different from all the other cars on the road. Very comfortable, love the gauges, looks really nice. It's not too big of a car. No problems yet with the car. runs really nice. overall fun to drive. You can beat most civics on the road.

The 6 speed. The nice sound the muffler and engine make. when lift kicks in at 6000 rpm.

A better clutch, this clutch takes a lot of time to get use too. A better looking stereo design, i just don't like the gm stereo they put in. heheh. A sportier suspension system.

Excellent All Around Car
By MundschauJ

2004 Toyota Matrix Wagon Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I've had the car more than 1 year. Mileage averages around 35mpg on combined city and highway. The build quality is excellent as expected. One complaint however. The AC stopped working for about 2 hours one day while on a long drive with customers in the car. After parking for about 3 hours the AC worked fine and never stopped again. Other than that, extremely versatile and the best car I've ever owned. I've had cars that were more fun to drive, like a VR6 VW, and a Jeep Wrangler, but neither beats the overall usefullness and dependability of this Matrix.

Favorite features are the red Optitron guages and the fold flat seats.

I would like to see a stiffer suspension for more spirited handling. There's a lot of body lean in not-so- fast corners.

MY 2003 Toyota Matrix XR is AWESOME !
By James C. Byrd

2004 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

In the summer of 2003, just after purchasing this car, i made a trip to California from my home in central Florida. The route taken was north I-95 to West I-10 to California. We traveled up the coast to San Francisco and then journied back through the high country of Nevada, Utah, Wyoming, Colorado, Kansas, and on east to I-75 south, takin' us back home to central Florida. The fuel mileage on the trip reached 28 city and 36 highway with less in the high mountain zones out west and in Tennissee, which was to be expected.

I feel that the cars low profile ( the XR ) gives the car that sporty look along with the added advantage of helping to conserve fuel. I'm also proud of the way the interior is designed.

My car has all of the toys, pretty much completely loaded, including the electric sunroof. If i can suggest one more improvement, it would be to add a roof rack.

Love this car
By tharing

2004 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

From the moment I saw it I wanted it. I haven't been disappointed yet. Lots of fun to drive and handles well. Not much of anything bad to say except it could be a bit more sound proof. Outside noise when driving on the highway isn't very good. Noise reduction hopefully in 2005 will improve.

• SUV