2004 Toyota Matrix Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:
2004 XRS 6speed 166k miles
By eddiem325 on 04/05/14 10:09 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Matrix Wagon XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

We bought or XRS new, fully loaded except for navigation. We have driven our car all over the east coast. It has never left us stranded. My wife usually drives it and baby's it. When I drive it, I drive it like I stole it. Besides replacing the a/c compressor and switch, the only thing we've had trouble with was cheap plastics and the clutch. Our 1st clutch went at 80k miles and is ready to go up again at 166k miles. Will invest in the heavy duty clutch this time. A small oil leak developed at 150k miles on the valve covers. We love our '04 matrix so much we are looking for another "03 to '05 before they're all gone and high mileage.

'04 Matrix XRS 150K Miles Review
By OingoBo on 12/15/09 20:25 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota Matrix Wagon XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I am a driver. The transmission is very well matched. Replaced clutch at 110K miles. Only normal maintenance required. I love the sound it makes at high revs.

Matrix Headache
By Carsrus on 12/02/09 11:41 AM (PST)

2004 Toyota Matrix Wagon XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I purchased this car new with the intent of keeping it a long time with Toyota's reputation. This is the 5th brand new car I have purchased and my first Toyota. It is also my last Toyota. I have never had more problems or put more money into maintaining a car than this one. I just traded this car in with only 83,000 miles on it because I did not want to sink any more repair money into it. Unusual problem areas: neck to gas tank was rusting and would not allow gas cap to seal so car will not pass state emission tests - cost of total repair was over a thousand. Transmission failures after 80k on Matrix (cost over 3k).

Fourbanger Fun
By Chris R on 12/06/07 18:18 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota Matrix Wagon XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I love the XRS. I actually had a XR and it was a great car too, but I wanted something in a manual. This is a fast little car at approx. 4500 RPM. What is great you dont have to go that high and drive it economically. For a car that is fun, roomy, comfortable, decent MPG, and sporty. Look no further.

Ahh it's not so bad...depending on view
By Camp H on 12/02/07 20:57 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota Matrix Wagon XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

Peppy engine but very noisy, I have a 6 speed manual trans and it's very easy to shift. Radio rocks. Common complaint I read is road noise, that is true. Seats are comfortable. Views are good (rear window is small so that is limited) Only thing that needed to be fixed was serpentine belt had to be replaced & belt tensioner had to be replaced. Other than that the car is extremely reliable.

My Lucky Little Car
By Silverchild on 08/11/07 23:37 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Matrix Wagon XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I had absolutely no interest in this car when I went car shopping. Now that I have it I could not be happier! The car is both fun to drive and reliable. I purchased it with 30,000 miles and have had no problems whatsoever despite the high mileage. The seats are comfortable and that's saying something with my awful back problems! The dash is beautiful and easy to read, the gear shift is set in a position that is both natural and comfortable, visibility is supreme with few blind spots and cargo room is fantastic. The back and passenger seats have hard plastic back covers for protection when toting large items, the passenger seat folds down as a table top and the car has 3 power plugs!!

Fun But Also a Pain
By Tanamoor on 04/10/07 16:34 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Matrix Wagon XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

Pros: Good acceleration, great on trips. Comfortable inside, roomy for passengers, the seats lie flat, front passenger seat lies down - can carry long items. Has an AC outlet. I loved the 6 dsc CD changer and the moonroof. Nice looking exterior. The seat sits a little higher than most sedans and the shift lever is forward on the dash which is comfortable for me. Cons: gas pedal is very touchy. It is easy to stall out when starting from a standstill. Sometimes it has trouble going into 1st or 2nd gears. The engine is annoyingly loud. The "apron" or skirt deal under the front grill is very cheap and low to the ground so it gets scraped all the time.

Enter the Matrix
By tag on 02/13/07 09:15 AM (PST)

2004 Toyota Matrix Wagon XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

When the clutch system is at its best, the driving expericence is great. I like all the electronic hook up ports for my MP3, cell phone etc. The front control panel is easy to read and manipulate. The brake system is awesome.

Matrix is a great car
By MLA on 02/15/06 22:14 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota Matrix Wagon XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I highly recommend the Toyota Matrix. I've had mine almost 18 months and have enjoyed the experience. The Matrix has typical Toyota reliability, but it's roominess and build allow you to use it for hauling many things or just taking lots of luggage on vacation.

Trixie the Matrix
By GreenMile on 09/17/05 11:58 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Matrix Wagon XRS Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I replaced my Limited 4 runner with a more gas efficient Matrix. I thought I would hate at first but really it has all the space my 4 runner had and way better milage (33 mpg) on average. I have 25000 miles on it and have had no issues at all. I love driving this on my daily 100 mile roundtrip commute.