Used 2004 Toyota Matrix XR Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Toyota Matrix - Consumer Reviews

2004 Toyota Matrix Wagon

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:

208,000, and still love it!
By mamccoy

2004 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

My goal is to make it past 300000 miles on this car. I bought it with 144k, and was told by the owner that he had the transmission rebuilt at 100k by Aamco (though they sometimes may stretch the truth with a vehicle's true repair needs). They said the Main drive bearing went out. I put in a new Catalytic converter around 145k, and i've been golden since then until now. It's time for more work on the tranny, but some are telling me its the clutch throw-out bearing (release bearing) and some tell me it's the same issue that this car had at 100k. Regardless, I have loved the car and wouldn't hesitate on getting another. As for now, I'll fix it and go another 100k, Lord willing!

Favorite Features

all the Space in the car, my Thule roof rack, 33mpg hwy (29+mpg avg), 208k miles and the engine runs great and the body is still pretty sound!

Suggested Improvements

Fix the Transmission! People buy Manual Transmissions because they last longer, yet this one doesn't seem to!

Toyota does not stand by its owners
By Dabear

2004 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned the car and it was a great fun car could ignore the minor problems such as a defective battery in the first week and minor fit and finish problems. After 3 years and 37k my clutch went and looking on the internet I found out that 03 and 04 Matrix have hundreds of reported problems with early failure of transmissions.BTW,many of those posts are on the Edmunds forums Toyota has refused to acknowledge there is a problem Now at 79K I find the clutch and transmission is going All my previous standards have gone over 100k

Favorite Features

Great car when everything works

Suggested Improvements

Toyota start to care about your owners

Surprised by the poor quality of Toyota
By Angela

2004 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This is the first Toyota I've ever owned. My husband and I bought this car because we wanted a small, fuel-efficient car to get us around town with the capability of expanding cargo space when needed. Unfortunately, I have been sorely disappointed in some of the features of the car. Within the last two years, both rear door handles have completely broken. The replacement cost for each door handle is $200. The rigid metallic coating of the interior door handles has loosened and actually cut my fingers. Various other compartments (while clever and convenient) have broken or become loose. The bumper pops loose easily and can drag.

Favorite Features

The flexibility of cargo space. When the back seats and front passenger seat are folded flat, it has the convenience of a pick-up.

Suggested Improvements

luggage rack, improved quality of materials, better ground clearance

Turns heads around
By Noorali Charania

2004 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

The most elegant looking, economical spacious like a van and the best value for money. Compare the looks with a 40K Lexus RX 330 and compare the storage space after folding seats with an Odyssey. (I own that one too!) My biggest pleasant surprise after 5 yrs of use and fully paid auto loan I have an asset with book value of 11K !!

Favorite Features

Good young looks, fuel economy.

Suggested Improvements

They should introduce a 6 cylinder engines in this model and navigation with rear camera monitor.

Good, but could be better.
By Matrix04

2004 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Electric windows rattle, grind and pop. Dealer could not address problem. Eventually a window fell out. Engine surges while stopped at light or in traffic. Dealer could not address problem. The door handles have a "metallic" finish that peels away. Occupants have cut their fingers on the edge of metal/plastic that was coming away. Eventually got worse to where you could see the white plastic handle underneath so I peeled away the remaining sharp edges and caution occupants. Dealer offered to repair at my expense. Contacted the Toyota Customer Service Experience Center and was referred back to a dealer.

Favorite Features

Economy and space.

Suggested Improvements

Sadly, Toyota quality and service is not what it once was. There is room for improvement.