2004 Toyota Matrix Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:
208,000, and still love it!
By mamccoy on 05/02/12 17:06 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

My goal is to make it past 300000 miles on this car. I bought it with 144k, and was told by the owner that he had the transmission rebuilt at 100k by Aamco (though they sometimes may stretch the truth with a vehicle's true repair needs). They said the Main drive bearing went out. I put in a new Catalytic converter around 145k, and i've been golden since then until now. It's time for more work on the tranny, but some are telling me its the clutch throw-out bearing (release bearing) and some tell me it's the same issue that this car had at 100k. Regardless, I have loved the car and wouldn't hesitate on getting another. As for now, I'll fix it and go another 100k, Lord willing!

Toyota does not stand by its owners
By Dabear on 05/31/10 19:44 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned the car and it was a great fun car could ignore the minor problems such as a defective battery in the first week and minor fit and finish problems. After 3 years and 37k my clutch went and looking on the internet I found out that 03 and 04 Matrix have hundreds of reported problems with early failure of transmissions.BTW,many of those posts are on the Edmunds forums Toyota has refused to acknowledge there is a problem Now at 79K I find the clutch and transmission is going All my previous standards have gone over 100k

Surprised by the poor quality of Toyota
By Angela on 12/22/08 16:35 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This is the first Toyota I've ever owned. My husband and I bought this car because we wanted a small, fuel-efficient car to get us around town with the capability of expanding cargo space when needed. Unfortunately, I have been sorely disappointed in some of the features of the car. Within the last two years, both rear door handles have completely broken. The replacement cost for each door handle is $200. The rigid metallic coating of the interior door handles has loosened and actually cut my fingers. Various other compartments (while clever and convenient) have broken or become loose. The bumper pops loose easily and can drag.

Turns heads around
By Noorali Charania on 08/18/08 08:42 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

The most elegant looking, economical spacious like a van and the best value for money. Compare the looks with a 40K Lexus RX 330 and compare the storage space after folding seats with an Odyssey. (I own that one too!) My biggest pleasant surprise after 5 yrs of use and fully paid auto loan I have an asset with book value of 11K !!

Good, but could be better.
By Matrix04 on 05/16/08 13:12 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Electric windows rattle, grind and pop. Dealer could not address problem. Eventually a window fell out. Engine surges while stopped at light or in traffic. Dealer could not address problem. The door handles have a "metallic" finish that peels away. Occupants have cut their fingers on the edge of metal/plastic that was coming away. Eventually got worse to where you could see the white plastic handle underneath so I peeled away the remaining sharp edges and caution occupants. Dealer offered to repair at my expense. Contacted the Toyota Customer Service Experience Center and was referred back to a dealer.

Breaking in car - new discoveries
By pearlmomma on 05/14/08 12:16 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Bought Matrix new. Have 21,000 mi on car today. Mostly city driving with occasional road trip. Beginning to see minor degradation on interior moving parts - the "cheap" is revealing itself. Out-of-control acceleration happened to me 2 times. The accelerator just slams to the floorboard and won't let up. The first time in 70+ mph traffic - the second time 45+ traffic. Terrified me. Panic! Had to yank emergency handle and turn car off. It is a real experience and the dealer can't explain. I think it's a defective chip in the master brain of some cars.

Great Car!
By onehipteacher on 01/16/08 18:38 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my matrix in August of 2003 when they were putting out the new 2004 models. I have loved my matrix since. It is great on gas and the look. When I first bought it, strangers on the street would look at the car and give me a thumbs up. I love the versatility of the seats. I have fit grown palm trees, a patio set, pool table, and other large items in my matrix with all the doors closed. You can't beat the quality of a Toyota. It has been almost 5 years with my car and no problems. I am thinking about trading it in for a bigger vehicle , but I don't think I can't. I love this car!

Great automobile
By matrix on 11/11/06 07:35 AM (PST)

2004 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have driven this car in all kinds of conditions with excellent results, great gas mileage and comfortable ride, good handling. Just a nice car.

An Extremely Sturdy Car
By Miguel Angel on 09/16/06 21:39 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

'Trixes are bomb-proof! I'm the kind of driver who doesn't go particularly fast, but doesn't brake for anything, either. This car has taken three years of continous punishment: every corner taken at the traction limit, hundreds of handbrake turns, about three months of serious gravel driving, 8in deep potholes every day, many track days, being half-sunk in waste water (this is Mexico City, you know)... all without a glitch. Minor rattles in the dash, the standard battery lacks capacity, and that's it. A very capable little car when pushed (can consistently beat Megane RSs in the hands of a good driver), even with an auto transmission. Overall, a great car.

Perfect for needs and budget
By cali_isaac on 05/07/06 11:55 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This is the perfect car for us. Great mileage (25-27 city, 32-37 hwy). This looks small on the outside but is laid out great very efficient and feels very roomy. This car hold TONS of stuff (4 adults, 3 day camping gear (firewood included), surfboards on top and bikes on the back) and still got 34+ mpg on the trip! The 110v plug is awesome, didn't need to buy a car charger for cell phone or iPod. The most car for the money, imo. Would buy again in a heartbeat. Owned for over 2 years now still runs like new.