2007 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Consumer Review: Great Mileage SUV/CUV

2007 Toyota Highlander Hybrid - Consumer Review

Great Mileage SUV/CUV
By ejo1 on

2007 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I needed a good mileage vehicle to pull my Boston Whaler after running a small CUV with decent mileage. Every car and pickup I looked at would get 20 mpg or less a few maybe low 20's when not pulling a boat and as 98% of the time I'm not pulling a boat this was not a good option to go from 24 mpg average daily driving to <20mpg. I found this Highlander and now get 26-27 mpg average and easily can pull and launch my boat and when doing so get 21 or more mpg. All this in luxury.

Great pick-up/acceleration and good mileage for size and weight of the vehicle

For "top of the line" model bluetooth should have been included. Better audio system.
By ejo1
on 01/05/15 08:43 AM (PST)

I now had the car longer and ran into some problems with the poor service of Toyota. I got a recall message last August(2013) for possible problems with the EMS (Engine Management Control/Hybrid system) Duty fully I took the car into the dealer for the free replacement of the item eventhough I had no problems. They replaced the part and immediately I noticed a drop in mpg. The dealer checked the car over (twice) and said it was running as it should which was not what it did before I took it in. I was getting over 26.8 mpg with 60/40 driving. After the recall this dropped to 21-22 mpg. Contacted the Toyota Rep. who said keep good track of your fill-ups and mileage and let him know. I did so for the next 3 months and 6 months and lett him know without results or response. I opened a case with Toyota again without results. We are now a year later and with 18K to 19K of driving per year this has cost me a considerable bit more money then the original and published mileage I was getting. The hybrid drive just doesn't kick in as it used to. My city mileage is less then 20 mpg and driving 69 mph my hwy. mileage might get up to 24.5 this resulting in 19-22 mpg per tank with feather foot driving. I still like the car for its luxury but wish I could have my original (and published) mpg back.