2007 Toyota Highlander Hybrid - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander Hybrid model:
Hybrid in the Snow?
By Barbara on 01/06/08 09:35 AM (PST)

2007 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Edmunds says this should not be bought as a "serious snow vehicle." If you'll be towing a heavy trailer of snowmobiles and going on really rough terrain, they may be right. But if you will be on normal roads (paved or not) and you live where it snows a lot, don't hesitate to buy this vehicle. I live at 9000ft in the mtns of Colorado and it has performed extremely well in all conditions including steep snowy driveways. The AWD works great and I love the B gear which allows me to slow down without braking no matter what speed I am going. This is very helpful in slippery conditions and I am able to use the brakes very lightly if at all sometimes - great for the highway. We love this car.

Solid vehicle, minor flaws
By Greg on 12/29/07 07:13 AM (PST)

2007 Toyota Highlander Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

After driving a full-size pickup for 8 years, this was a big change for me. Overall, the Highlander is comfortable and roomy; Toyota has a great reputation for durability, and I haven't had any complaints about performance or reliability. My complaints (so far) are these: in reverse, only the electric motors run the vehicle, no matter how far you push the accelerator. Not necessarily Toyota's brightest idea. There are no always-on 12v power outlets. Not surprising, but still occaisonally inconvenient. The oil filter is darn near impossible to take off by hand, unless you're left-handed. I have to use a filter wrench. There is no driver override on the AWD system - the car decides for you.

2007 Toyota Highlander Ltd Hybrid
By Annie Mouse on 11/27/07 18:47 PM (PST)

2007 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Limited 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The reason we chose this car over the Lexus SUV hybrid was the cargo size. The nav system is primitive and not user friendly, works sort of, the passenger seat doesnt have adjustable lumbar support so on long trips gets tiresome. The good part is fuel efficiency and room for all kinds of stuff including kids, pets, groceries, plants and necessities of life especially on long trips. The third seat is a waste in my opinion. For our particular needs, the car fits the bill. Of all the hybrids out there with cargo room this is in my view the best choice and nicely appointed.

Bill's first 16 months with Highlander H
By Bill on 08/27/07 18:35 PM (PDT)

2007 Toyota Highlander Hybrid 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Bought for economy. Hwy @ 26 mpg, city @ 32 mpg, thus almost reaching rating of 28/34. Excellent power, smooth transition between gas and electric, transmission shifts seemlessly. Dealer service dept very fast for scheduled service. Zero maintenance problems in 31000 miles. Very quiet operation in city and highway. Big enough to haul stuff like power washer, wheel barrow, construction materials, etc. We are very pleased with the vehicle.

Cream of the Crop
By groovology on 08/16/07 16:04 PM (PDT)

After owning what was supposed to be the pinnacle German brand and having nothing but problems during my ownership experience, I decided to give Toyota a try. The Highlander itself is not very interesting to me, but the hybrid really caught my imagination. I drove it and was immediately impressed with the combination of comfort, power, roominess, and economy. A year later, all I can say is that Toyota has actually exceeded all my expectations. The car has been 100% reliable, and both my wife and I truly love it. It's rare that you have a car that is comfortable, fast, easy to drive, and helps you do your part for the environment. It's great, plain and simple.

Great Car
By RS on 08/15/07 16:54 PM (PDT)

Very smooth acceleration. Solid in turns. Well built vehicle.

Highlander 2wd
By gracie on 08/12/07 15:18 PM (PDT)

2007 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Limited 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Purchased at dealer in MD. Drove 315 miles home. 1/3 interstate @ 70 mph 27 mpg and 2/3 country roads @ 55 mph 30 mpg. Since city/ highway 29 mpg and interstate 70 mph 28 mpg. Good ride and acceleration. Looking to tow 2500lb boat.

Last of the 07s
By Thundarr on 08/07/07 13:46 PM (PDT)

2007 Toyota Highlander Hybrid 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I had a hard time finding a Limited Edition AWD and had to settle for a FWD and put in my own Nav system. I am very pleasantly surprised with the vehicle and how fun it is to drive. The side mirrors give great visibility and I put a rear camera on the Pioneer Nav system I bought to cover directly behind the vehicle for backing up and parking. I looked around for a hybrid for my family and this is the best of the 07s. The 08s looked nicer but I didn't think I could get it in my garage and the hybrid wasn't going to be out till October and I wanted to catch the last $650 in tax credits which expire end of Sept for Toyota. Very pleased.

2007 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
By jaxhog on 07/19/07 11:54 AM (PDT)

The Highlander is so much fun to drive. The fuel mileage is great. It's comfortable and handles bumps better than my large SUV.

Not as Advertised
By WilliamB on 07/17/07 07:57 AM (PDT)

Purchased the Highlander Hybrid and now have about 1100 miles on the vehicle. It is a comfortable car to ride in and drives very good. Exception noted, wife drives a car with a V8 and on the highway can get over 30 miles per gallon, yet with the new hybrid, the most I can do is 22 mpg, up hill, down hill, city or road. This is nowhere near what is advertised for this vehicle.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.