Used 2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Consumer Reviews - 188 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid

View reviews for a specific Highlander Hybrid model:

Disappointed with MPG
By MCD

2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I am leasing a 2006 Highlander Hybrid. I'm in second year; took car for service for poor MPG, averaging 16.8 MPG city/highway for 800+ miles. I was told that it is what I should expect! At 26K I am averaging 21.4 MPG in city. The battery immediately reverts to gas. The service dept. said nothing could be done and that other Highlanders were getting similar MPG. This is not acceptable! The sticker indicates 31 miles city and 27 miles highway. I wrote to Toyota-their reply: MPG sticker quotes are generated under controlled testing conditions for EPA and so I should bring it in for servicing. Fuel efficiency is influenced by many variables: tire pressure, weather, fuel additives, etc.

Navigation system, exterior appearance, sun roof - that's about it!

Improve battery/engine to give better MPG; claustrophobic third row seating; more room needed between front seats and console; storage under console is useless; second row seat belt units presses on passengers' backs; front seat dual heat/air conditioning controls, reading lights above doors.

Gas Mileage Claims False
By Mona Tanner

2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Limited 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The Hylander Hybrid is a great looking, great driving vehicle. The only problem I have with it, and it's a big one, is that I don't get the gas mileage claimed. Toyota claimed it would get 28 hwy and 31 city mpg. I drive it gently and average at most 26 mpg. I bought the car specifically for the gas mileage, so I can't justify the $4500 price difference.

Hybrid Rip Off
By Brian

Bought the hybrid for the great mileage claims which turned out to be a complete lie. Vehicle gets 21-22 mpg from normal driving which in no way justtifies the price premium.

Sat Nav is great except programming has major bugs telling you to turn left on streets that have been no left turn for 20 years.

Upgrade sat nav software with accurate street info and link to live traffic.

Coolest Car EVER!!
By Lisa

I'm from Denver and we've had tons of snow this winter. I have wrung my car thru the ringer to give it a good "test" and it has done every thing I've asked it to with ease and grace! In addition to the awesome AWD, the ride is smooth, the interior is comfy, and there's tons of horsepower. My low MPG was 22 (85 mph on I-70 in 100 degree heat) and my high was 29 (being a really good girl on the throttle). MPG drops substantially when it's very cold out. Best MPG seems to be city highways with heavy traffic. I wouldn't trade this car for anything else on the road - unless of course it was something real expensive so I could sell it and buy 2 Highlander Hybrids.

Continously variable transmission, VDIM/AWD, horsepower.

Easier access to 3rd row, increase head room, better info about battery usage if you don't have navigation system, make cupholder divider sturdier (I broke the spring part when I pulled out a water bottle that had a little lip at the bottom).

A technological marvel
By martin

I have had this car for a year now. It is an amazing SUV. The gas mileage is simply superb and is within the EPA figures. I am getting an average of 28.0 MPG - a great relief from my Expedition. I love everything about this car.

I love the quiet smooth ride. It is even quieter than my wife's Lexus!

The third row seats are really a disappointment. It's only good for small children!