Used 2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander Hybrid model:

Best of all worlds!
By phoenix55

2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought my HIHY'06 about a month ago as a certified vehicle with 42,000 miles on it. I bought it used, because I didn't like the changes in the '08 (bigger and heavier). The performance for a SUV is great, passing on the highway or secondary roads is effortless. Mileage varies with the temperature and the heaviness of my right foot. Since it's not an aerodynamic vehicle, the mileage drops over 65 mph, but I get 26-28mpg driving 65 and still get 25mpg going 75mph. Best mileage in the city has been 32, worst has been 21 when it was cold. The fit and finish are good even after 45,000 miles. Maybe some of the critics got a lemon, but I'm very happy with mine.

Regenerative braking, sportscar-like acceleration, comfortable seating for 5 with plenty of room in back for luggage.

Needs a backup camera.

Effortless power, decent MPG, comfort!
By tash

2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

First things first: THH is a rocket. Acceleration is amazing and it does without major effort. Bought it used with about 10k miles and have 15k now. At this point, I would not change it for any car in the market, including the new THH, which is bigger and wider (Toyota, why?). Ride is soft (maybe not the softest but after CRV, it's like gliding). Exterior is very modest, interior is much better. My wife calls it a granma car on the outside. I actually like it that way. Very subtle, yet very powerful. My friends can't stop smiling at the silence when THH runs on the electric. Big fan of this car. Thank God, no problems, only scheduled maintenance. MPG is ok, esp given the power.

Engine shutting off at the stops/slow traffic and the power are my favorite features. Soft ride, in-glass antenna, wiper area is heated on the windshield, quiet, alloy wheel design. Interior quality is pleasing. MPG given the HP.

It looks a bit outdated and is a bit bulky.

2 years' experience
By Tracy

I've had my Highlander for two years now. I still find it a great car. My mileage varies tremendously, depending on my driving frame of mind and on the temperature. This past summer I consistently got trips of 30-40 MPG around town and tank averages of 29 MPG. But the cold weather is coming and this will knock me down to about 20 MPG avg per tank. If I zip around town and don't glide a lot or try to keep it on electric, the mileage goes down. This car has taught me a lot about how to drive to save gas. It's a comfortable car for both long and short trips, and the flexible seats allow for multiple configurations. I agree with other reviewers that the 3rd row seat is not needed.

Comfortable seats, lots of storage room, convenient cupholders, better mileage than other SUVs of its size

Have a block heater as a standard feature to improve start-up mileage. Offer leather interior and seat heaters in the base model as individual options (not packaged).

Typical Toyota
By swizzlestick

In a nutshell, this Toyota is like all the others I have owned... bulletproof. It excels in every aspect except for fuel economy, which is still better than non-hybrid models. I get 25.5 mpgs in the summer and 23 mpg in the winter in mountain driving.

Rocket powered. Highway passing speed is obtained in a tenth of a second. A ride like no other SUVs - my mother-in-law who owns 2 MBs and a Lexus is envious of the ride of this vehicle.

Ditch the third row seat, like most other vehicles that have it, it is a joke. Only gas guzzlers need apply for a third row.

Buy a Honda
By The Judge

2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Serious and dangerous uncontrolable torque steer. Poof fuel economy, pathetic tiny front seats with uncomfortable arm rests combine for a truely sad ride. Lots of rattles and squeaks. The car has an almost rubberband motion to it. I will never buy another toyota. Toyota flat out lied, told me you don't need the 4wd and as it turns out it is the only thing that helps control the uncontrollable pull to the right in the 2wd version. That is why the 2008 hybrids will only be offered in this layout. Never again with this POOR company. The gas motor thumps when it kicks in, got much worse after the first 100 miles. Deceptive regarding their claim of a "seamless transion" between gas and electric.

CVT, smooth ride.

Larger front seats, a center console with arm rest, fuel economy that meets their sticker claims, modern radio, instrumentation needs to be updated. Get rid of the 3rd row of seats made for a midget, improve build quality, lots of squeaks and rattles. What a piece of junk for 35K!