Used 2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid

View reviews for a specific Highlander Hybrid model:

2006 Highlander Hybrid Review
By Cindy

2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have had the car for 3 months and have had no problems. It drives and handles well. I am spending much less in gas now than with my old SUV which was similar size.

Favorite Features

Better gas mileage, versatile third row seat, nice stereo, radio controls on the steering wheel.

Suggested Improvements

Doors are sometimes hard to shut properly.

Gasoline issues, no more
By leah

2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Needed a second car and went for this over honda pilot due to increase in gas prices. now that i have had it for a month, I love it. Found interior to be bigger then I expected, third row tight but great for small kids. Love that when I am at a stop it drops to electric and it is quiet, no idle. Get about 100 miles more then my '97 pathfinder. Feel very eco-friendly when I am driving this! Would consider another hybrid when pathfinder is gone.

Favorite Features

Hybrid feature, gas mileage and the amount of pep it has

Suggested Improvements

Interior controls could be a bit nicer, fog lights and steering wheel controls should be standard.

Wife's Toy
By Virgil Hayden

I purchased this vehicle for my wife last month. The vehicle gets great fuel economy for in town driving (37mph) and respectable mileage for an suv on the highway (30). It is very roomy inside despite it looking compact on the outside. We are very happy with the vehicle and would definitely buy this vehicle again.

Favorite Features

The whole vehicle

Suggested Improvements

Nothing

Hunk of a Highlander
By richard biondi

This car has it all, including head turning looks. It's roomy and classy. I feel so special when I turn on the ignition and there is no sound of an engine starting. Everyone thinks that is so cool. Conversion from seating to increased cargo area is so simple. Everything is easy. I call our "GPS" speaker "Gypsy." My whole family now refers to her as "Gypsy." It is so fun!

Favorite Features

GPS, sound system and cargo area

Suggested Improvements

Third seat not meant for adults

Not Completely Satisfied
By Preston

While the Highlander is extremely agile, quick and tight, I am thoroughly disappointed in the mileage. Many Features are well thought out. Placement of third row seat belts, so as not to obstruct rear view is one of many of the smallest things that Toyota is well known for. They excel in details. However, highway mileage has been as expected around 26. Sticker claims 27 hwy/31 city, but city mileage at best has been a max of 23 with an average of 17. The car currently has 2500 miles, but I can't imagine that there needs to be a longer break-in period. I did do my homework before purchasing the car and saw that a lot of folks were not happy with the mileage, but I expected 27 - 30 city.

Favorite Features

Aceleration when needed is superb. The Navigation system is very well thought out. This is my second Navigation system in a car. Ride comfort too, is nice for an SUV.

Suggested Improvements

Toyota should seperate itself from the Federal Milage Standards, and come with it's own real life milage standards. They would keep their loyal customers like myself. Also, for a $40,000.00 car, I would like to see a better sound system become available.