Used 2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry Hybrid model:

Improved over prior model, but problem details
By Peter Dixon

2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid XLE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

All in all a solid reliable car. My second Camry, I and also have had two Priuses, so I'm quite lfamiliar with Toyota's hybrid drivetrain. Averages 36 mpg. 120,000 miles, mechanically trouble free, replaced tires, otherwise just routine service. Trouble spots: BUMPER--side edges of front bumper have repeatedly popped out, ( breaking at their attachment tabs), dealer unwilling to fix as a warranty item. I finally got a body shop to glue them in place a few months ago and so far they've stayed put. CONTROLS-Heating and air controls are small and hard to operate ( especially fan switch and air direction switch). SEAT MATERIAL-Although I have top of line XLE with leather and ultra suede seats, the ultra suede cloth has worn poorly, gotten dirty, is hard to clean, and now makes the interior look shabby and cheap. No rough or dirty treatment of interior on my part. NOISE--heavy acceleration creates a lot of engine noise. DEALER MAINTENANCE COSTS- Dealer service costs are high. For example, for the 120,000 service they quoted $700 but I had it done at reputable non-Toyota shop for $200.

Our second Camry Hybrid
By 2000kdriver55

2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid XLE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

With about 10,000 miles under our belt and this being our second Camry hybrid I would say this is a great car. Our 2008 Camry Hybrid got about 36 mpg over all and this 2012 gets about 41. My best tank so far has been 43 mpg mixed, with about half of that being 75-80 mph highway driving. As before we have noticed that very cold or hot weather reduces the mileage greatly. I think the interior is well designed and the seats very comfortable. I would however like to have my full leather seats back as I don't care for the cloth panel seats as much. Love that the trunk space is so much greater than the 08 model.

This cars greatest feature is the excellent gas mileage. It is comfortable and the ride and handling is very good.

A few things that I would change are: Go back to the solid leather seats Move the ECO and EV mode buttons Install better sound deadening Change the Nav input routine

Your mileage may vary
By hybrid34

2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid LE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We paid the premium for the hybrid because we keep our cars a long time and if we were going to get mileage close to the EPA estimate we would make up the difference in about 5 years. Now that we have driven it about a year we are getting on average 34 MPG Nowhere near where we expected. Our diving has mostly been city driving and when we do get it on the highway we get above 40 MPG. We took it back a couple of times to the dealer, they said there is noting wrong and when I called Toyota they said that 34 MPG was within what we could expect and does not indicate a problem.

Smart key is great, just get close and it unlocks the door our if you stand next to the trunk you can unlock it. I like the interior layout and look.

Miss my 2012 Hybrid
By camrygirl2

2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid LE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Kept the car up until 12,000 miles. I regret getting rid of it. I was averaging around 40-45 mpg. The most I averaged was 63 mpg! This car is very stylish, comfortable & great on gas. Very quiet, nice & smooth; however, it almost sounds like a spaceship. It has plenty of power. I felt confident driving in California while merging on to freeways/highways. It had more power than my 2005 Camry LE. The interior is nice & plenty of room. Some plastic parts seem a bit cheap. The only thing I worried about was how long the hybrid battery would last & how much it would cost to replace it. Also once replaced would it cause other electrical components in the car to malfunction. This was a great car!

Gas mileage!!! Body style, interior, comfort. Smart key system.

For radio or CD the speakers sound great but once you use the AUX for mp3 player the sound is not so great, sounds low quality. Some of cheap feeling plastic material interior.

So Far, So Good
By lefa

2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid LE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We bought a Camry Hybrid on Dec/2012. I am writing this on April/2013, after 5,500 miles. During the winter we obtained 38-39 mpg (for a whole tank, combined Hw and city). Now in the Spring we are easily getting 40-42 mpg (again, for a whole tank, combined Hw and city). We drive a lot and get a lot of traffic jams in city drive. But we are very happy and satisfied with the millage. Also, the range ("autonomy") for each tank. It avoids being at the gas station all the time.

The millage!! The autonomy!! Silent cabin (could be even better in more expensive models).

However, the car needs improvements. I am specially disappointed with the driver's seat. The Mitsubishi Gallant 2003 that we had had exceptional lumbar support and amazing seats. I miss those seats a lot. The Camry' seats (river) are not as comfortable and offer very little support. But the cabin is spacious and I fit well inside (I am 6'02).