2006 Toyota Avalon XL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota Avalon - Consumer Reviews

2006 Avalon Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

Sort Reviews by

As good as it gets.
By Neo

2006 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

If you're looking for the most car for your money, then look no further than the Toyota Avalon. To get all the features that you get in this car is unheard of. A 280 hp V-6 engine that still gets 31 mpg on the hwy? Air bags galore? Reclining rear seats? WOW. This car blows the doors off of the Infiniti that I was driving.

Favorite Features

The 280 hp engine, the comfort, the safe feeling you get from the numerous air bags, the full size spare tire, dual zone temperature controls

Suggested Improvements

Lower price on the navigational system.

First Time Buyer of Non-American
By quilter

2006 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I debated whether to go with the Ford 500 or this. After driving both, there was no comparison, and although the XLS was significantly higher, I am glad I bought it. I have been a Ford/American car buyer for 35 years, and thought I would never change. But this car is super.

Favorite Features

quiet ride, comfortable seats, fit and finish is perfect.

Suggested Improvements

Windshield wiper control is a bit tooclose to the steering wheel, and I hit it periodically (accidently) when turning the wheel.

Blechhhhhh
By B.B.Q. Houston

2006 Toyota Avalon Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Poooooor quality. Tailpipes off, engine growls and transmission problems from day one. It's been in and out of dealer for two months!!! My wife hates the seats in front. She says they are very uncomfortable. Plus, Toyota won't fix the darn transmission. They and dealer give me the runaround. Never again.

Bad reliability!
By Wayne L. Nelson

2006 Toyota Avalon Touring 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

What a lemon! This thing has had problems both inside and out. The engine has had stalling problems. The seats are terrible and I've had trim pieces falling off. Very poor.

Favorite Features

None

Suggested Improvements

Improve the reliability. My previous Chevy was MUCH more reliable. Time to go back to domestics, I guess. So much for Toyota 'quality'.

My new Avalon Limited
By Kathy from NCarolina

2006 Toyota Avalon Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I'm finding it a very fun car to drive. Mine is all tricked out with Laser Cruise, and voice DVD navigation, VSC, 6 disc CD changer.

Favorite Features

Voice DVD Nav and Laser Cruise.

Suggested Improvements

No suggested improvements. Hard to improve on impeccable perfection.

Luxury pocket rocket!
By gunnerjo

2006 Toyota Avalon Touring 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I looked at the Mercedes 300, BMW 5 series, and the Lexus for my next car. I couldn't justify the pricing points of the German ubervehicles with the amentities they offered and, being in the mountains of New Mexico, was uncertain of the service quality I could expect. I looked at the Avalon on the way to the Lexus dealer and that, as the song says, '. . .was all she wrote. I chose the Touring model for its firmer ride, larger tires, and different shift points and haven't been disappointed. It is simply awesome to take a 35 mph mountain switchback at 60+. And to arrive at your destination without the usual aches, stiffness, and tingling nether regions.

Favorite Features

The 300 watt JBL sound system is my favorite feature, it perfectly complements the XM radio. Don't find the remote starting feature efficacious but it is fun to watch people's faces when you use it at restaurant or motel parking lots. Love the HID headlights!

Suggested Improvements

Color-keyed side moldings to avoid parking lot dings. A fold down rear seat for carrying long objects (such as skis or monster Subway sandwiches). More powerful high beam lights and option of using fog lights in a standalone mode. Fewer rattles and manuals without pages of 'thou shalt not's'

Everything you need...
By Chuck

2006 Toyota Avalon Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This car has everything you need, and not much you don't. It is smooth, quiet, responsive, and has the little extras that make it a pleasure to drive. As with any car, you can find faults, but Toyota hit its mark integrating the elements of an expensive lexus in a reasonably priced package. Drivers will need to take a little time to learn the navigation system and make the adjustments for seats, lights, etc., but after that, it's a quiet comfortable ride in a well- handling car with power when you need it.

Favorite Features

Climate controls, great mileage for a full-size vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

Offer integrated satellite radio without having to add it as an aftermarket option

Looks like a great car.
By Bill R.

2006 Toyota Avalon Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Now have 6K miles on it, but battery failed at 1500 miles leaving me stranded (that's why the low reliability score). Outside of that I am very satisfied with the car. Only complaint is that the car has HID headlights but only on low beam, and high beam is very poor. My previous car was Nissan Maxima (04) which had terrific HID lights and it spoiled me.

Favorite Features

Very quiet and luxurious. Excellent gas mileage (29 to 33 on a recent 3K trip).

Suggested Improvements

Fix the high beam headlights. Add a bumper strip down the side of the car to protect is from damage from other cars in the parking lot. I'm surprised there are none - older Avalons have them. Make the side mirrors break-away so if you get too close to something, they will not be torn off.

Best kept secret in luxury sedans
By jwoodruff

2006 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is our 4th Toyota in the past 2 years. All have been extremely dependable, just routine oil changes, get great gas mileage, and I think, some of the best looking cars on the road. Also, the interiors of all the cars are beautiful and functional. This is an important part of my car buying requirements. I'm a true blue American, but nobody beats the quality of the Toyota products.

Favorite Features

For all of us, the heated seats are great. I like the seat extention in the Avalon Limited. Plenty of room in the back seats. Also, my 86 yr. old Mother-in-law can get in & out of the Highlander with ease.

Suggested Improvements

Front buckets could have a longer stride. I feel like I'm hanging off sometimes. The Avalon Limited has the extending feature which I love. Transmission could a little smoother in it's shifting when slowing, then getting back up to speed (@ traffic lights for ex.)

Luxury at an affordable price!
By Len_1

2006 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I've traded my 2003 Nissan Murano AWD and thanks to the Avalon, the transition was smooth. My peers enjoy the riding comfort and options you get for the price.

Favorite Features

Stereo system JBL Synthesis 6 disk 12spker system. Auto dimming sideview mirrors. Reclining back seat

Suggested Improvements

Color of the vehicle, something in a more goldish type color to illustrate it's class and luxury.