Used 2006 Toyota Avalon XL Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota Avalon Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

Loved this car UNTIL... LOST ALL OIL!
By Terry A

2006 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I loved my Avalon, but now have lost all confidence in its reliability. On an out of state trip an oil hose developed a pin-hole leak. There was no indicator or light alert. We still have not gotten all repairs done, but will cost min $2500!!! (of course out of warranty with approx 101,000 miles).

The ride, the room, the gas mileage - and I thought the reliability. Alas, not so!

Notification of known problems that can cause so much damage! Also warning indicators if the oil runs low!!!!

Great, but some faults
By eddie g.

2006 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Overall our experience has been very good with our 2006 Avalon. The ride has been very smooth and quiet and the pick-up is very good. This may be one of the fastest cars we've owned (with a six).

We love the power driver's seat, the sun-roof, the visibility is great. The interior design is clean, and free of all unnecessary garbage. The fit and finish are top notch.

Brakes are terrible. Feels you must smash pedal to floor to stop. They're undersized. Trans is smooth except first gear where it seems hard to get up to speed. Mileage down- once 30 mpg hwy, now 23.5 at 65 mph. Exterior needs strengthening. Dents easy. Front dips on hard cornering.

Loss of engine oil with no warning light
By Angry owner

2006 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my car almost 3 yrs ago, everything was great until it reached 33000 miles; suddenly the engine produced loud noise, it was a complete loss of engine oil with no warning light in the dashboard. The dealer was very familiar with the problem before I even spoke. He asked me if it was the loss of engine oil. I would like Toyota to look into this problem. Otherwise the car is great and I love it.

Comfort, fuel economy.

To make the Avalon 100% reliable.

Grandpa
By grandpasmall

2006 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Could have better gas mileage but liveable. Only complaint is about the transmission. The computer could be updated or something done to prevent down shift in the mountains.

Good built car.

Driving in the mountains the auto tran shifts irregularly, down shifts when it shouldn't, shifts in down in high rpms.

The Car that Could
By Dr. G

2006 Toyota Avalon Sedan XL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Love the car. Have 9000 miles on it, great gas mileage (22/31 as stated), great ride and lumbar support, etc., comfortable although somewhat noisy. Great get up and go. Looks more expensive than final price. Some harsh noise when on a rougher road. Make sure that you get the aftermarket side door protectors and mud flaps. Has saved my paint. Paint chips very easily, especially when someone attempts to open their door to full-width in a parking lot. Had trouble with air conditioner.. took dealer two weeks to get part and fix it. Had new Camry during that time to drive. No comparison... Avalon much better. Also be aware that the front bumper is low and you can knock airdam off.

Ride, looks, mileage, interior space. This car is everything that I thought it would be after researching it. Not perfect, but damn near. If you don't want leather seats (cold in winter, hot in summer) and a sunroof (noisy and leaky?) have to settle for XL.

Folding mirrors, a transmission that doesn't shift as awkwardly (it sometimes feels like it is looking for a gear, i.e. don't race trains at a crossing). Also a car that is this high up on the "food chain" should have mudflaps and door guards as standard equipment to help save the finish.