Used 2001 Toyota Avalon Consumer Reviews - 65 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Toyota Avalon - Consumer Reviews

2001 Toyota Avalon

View reviews for a specific Avalon model:

2001 Avalon
By Steven Brehmer

2001 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Comfortable, dependable, quite and safe car. Looking for my next Avalon! The one I own now has 163,000 mi.

Paint Problem
By patc12

2001 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased a 2001 Avalon new. I love this car but have one major problem. The paint on the hood is peeling. I contacted Toyota and they claim there have been no other complaints about this model having a paint issue.
Anyone else out there have a 2001 with this issue?
The other issue I have is with the sensors. I have replaced all or most of them and the check engine light remained on after the last replacement. This issue gets very expensive!

I love the comfort and the quiet ride of this car. This was my 1st non-American car and I love it.

Paint quality needs to improve.

No problems at 177,000 miles
By dsper

2001 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought our 2001 Avalon new.

Replaced the timing belt at 100,000, replaced the alternator at 170,000 and the struts at 175,000. Otherwise, nothing but tires and brakes.

Large comfortable four or five passenger car with plenty of zip. My other car is a Corvette when I feel the need to act like a kid.

Interior comfort and well thought out controls and dashboard

Riding on smiles
By Ahmad

2001 Toyota Avalon XLS 4dr Sedan w/Bench Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have brought my Avalon xls with 103,000 km. and just loss it in an accident at 243,954 km. This car runs like magic, all my friends, are so surprise how beautiful, comfortable and spacious it is on the inside. most of the people I give a ride, after being amazed by the silences and smooth ride, do not believe it is a 2001, they think its a newer model. I am going to miss this car. but now I am on edmunds researching a 2005 avalon used one. just hoping I will get a even greater one. I am now using a 2010 toyota camry for the rental, and I still would choose my 2001 avalon ahead of the camry, not for the looks from outside, but for the comfort,low noise and luxury of the ride.

smooth and soft ride, huge trunk space. and quite engine and cabin, roomy back seats.

check engine light comes on too much with out a problem, as far as I am concern.

A poor quality car
By Greg

2001 Toyota Avalon XL 4dr Sedan w/Bucket Seats (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought it new. I had emission problems with it. The computer failed. All these repairs were very expensive for the parts. By 35k, the soft suspension was shot. I had to drop the suspension and go through all the bushings, and upgrade the struts. Now it handles well. I have been "wrenching" for 30+ years. This auto is not well built, relative to toyotas of years ago. Several times I have had to buy expensive, special tools to work on it. It is very hard to work on. Our '94 Accord is a better car. We have a 4+ year old xterra thats much higher quality. I have owned some good fords (ranger), two nissans now, and one Honda. I will never buy another Toyota.

After completely rebuilding the suspension, now it handles well. The engine is strong, but the transmission, at 55K, is showing weakness.

I honestly don't think this is a well designed car. It' supposed to be "luxury", but it's low-quality, and is VERY expensive to work on. Toyota needs to stop purposely designing their cars to be so difficult to work on. The transmission has always been somewhat quirky.