Used 2009 Toyota 4Runner SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Disappointed
By zazoux

2009 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I could not agree more with Jeef's review: something is seriously wrong with the transmission. When I get off the gas, the car shifts down, and instead of coasting along, the increased rpm slows it down. It actually shifts into first gear at as much as 14 mph, leading to a jerky bounce when you re-accelerate, only to immediately notice its mistake and shift into the (also very short) second gear. Bottom line, this nervous transmission actually makes the car quite annoying to drive. Other gripes: The car is overall too smart for it's own good: it won't let you turn off the air intake when in defog mode (think school bus). Also annoying: the 4WD does not engage (or disengage) when you need it.

Favorite Features

Leather seats very comfortable; keyless entry, radio controls in steering wheel, big console/arm rest, plastic bumpers won't rust.

Suggested Improvements

Reprogram the transmission. Go back to simple mechanical air/heating controls. Bring back the semi- mechanical 4WD switch/lever combo. Stop trying to be smarter than the driver (air intake in defog mode!).

annoying transmission bump
By kj23

2009 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought late in season and have had it for 2 years now. Truck drives and handles well. Fuel mileage better than expected. Only complaints are for an upscale truck many little things left off, ex:no vanity lights, no power seats silly heat/ac controls. But the most annoying is a bump you feel after you stop and let your foot off the brake. It feels as if you are bumped from behind. It has been to the dealer many times hoping they will come up with a fix but no luck yet. The dealer is aware of problem, they call it differential backlash and it is a design defect. In the long run it cannot be good for transmission or my sanity. I am trading truck for another make any day now. Stay away.

Favorite Features

Fuel mileage, performance and looks.

Suggested Improvements

fix differential backlash before serious damage occurs off warranty

Needs new transmission
By Jeef B

2009 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Overall I think this 4runner is a good performing SUV. Handles good and everything works as promised except for the transmission. When I slow down for a turn or a stop sign, (while not coming to a complete stop) then step on the throttle the transmission hunts for a gear and the engine revs until the gear is found. This is very annoying because it happens all the time. The dealer says this is normal. If I would have experienced this during the test drive, I would never have bought this vehicle. I am going to suffer with this until the warranty is up then I will get something new. Normally I keep my cars close to 10 years like my previous 1999 4runner which I wish I still had.

Favorite Features

Everything but the transmission.

Suggested Improvements

Desperately needs a new transmission or programming.

So Far, So Good!
By C.B.R.

2009 Toyota 4Runner SUV Sport Edition 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have only had this vehicle for 4 months but thought I would post a review. This vehicle is fun to drive. It feels solid, safe and responsive. I have only driven on the highway and around town, but I am anxious to get it out into the country. One complaint is that the transmission frequently feels as if it is not engaged, sort of free spinning. Initially I had difficulty finding a truly comfortable driving position and constantly shifted positions, especially my right leg. But I notice that less and less as time goes on. Even though it is labeled mid-size this is a big vehicle. Plenty of room and storage for friends and gear. Gas mileage is much better than expected at 20.8 per gallon.

Favorite Features

Appearance, big drink holders, information center, sound system controls in steering wheel, water shedding window surfaces, heated outside mirrors, power sun roof, power operated rear window, double decker cargo system, folding rear seats.

Suggested Improvements

Add a simpler and less expensive Ipod connection. Shorten the length of the ignition key; it is .5 inch longer than my Nissan Maxima key and is a real pocket destroyer. Add a key entry to passenger side door. Improve daytime lighting for radio and information center; is hard to see in sunlight.

Poor Navigation System
By Liz M.

2009 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Have had a 1999 4-Runner and needed a new one for the family. Although the vehicle is solidly built and I can't complain about performance, the Navigation System, in word, stinks! Why can't my pax input addresses and/or change addresses on the fly? How inconvenient is it to have to come to a full stop in order to utilize the navigation system? We have a garmin for our other 4-Runner and we have no complaints. I wish I could install the garmin in our 2009 vehicle. For being a Japanese made vehicle, the Navigation System is counter- intuitive. It is absolutely, positively horrible. Moreover, it is not user friendly like our Garmin. We would not have paid for this feature had we known...

Favorite Features

Everything but the Navigation System.

Suggested Improvements

Navigation Systems is absolutely horrible!