2006 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Review: Real 4x4 with car manners, qua

2006 Toyota 4Runner - Consumer Review

Sport Edition 4dr SUV (4.0L V6 4x4 5-speed Automatic)

Real 4x4 with car manners, quality built
By Sam in Maine on

2006 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Just purchased after researching and comparing several makes, ranging from VW Toureg, Volvo, even Mercedes. Tried the FJ Cruiser, love the retro look, but no room in back for kids, let alone adults. Already own an '03 Tundra, and since then am a converted fan of Toyota;never have to do more than routine maintenance on these cars, very tightly built. I also considered Highlander Hybrid, but need towing capacity the 4-Runner affords, and I am an old school fan of fully framed vehicles if you are going to tow. I will let my wife purchase a hybrid for her next car. Enviro and fuel econ. important to me, but not the only factor, since I drive only 8K/year. 4-Runner is classy & good value.

Leather steering wheel, sport suspension, i-pod plug, liftgate window rolls down, 115V electrical outlet (You need to ask for this as option), engine power and acceleration, tow pkg, leg room (I am 6'4"). Cant beat Toyota build quality for the $$.

As others have commented, driver door handle blocks window controls a bit. Add a Hybrid engine in the next few years ala the Lexus GS450h and this will eat the competition! That said, this car beats pathfinder,chevy trailblazer and others in this segment hands down anyway.