2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Consumer Review: Wish I had bought something el

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek - Consumer Review

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek

Premium 4dr SUV (2.0L 4-cyl. AWD CVT Automatic)

Wish I had bought something else
By gypsygal on

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I don't buy cars often and keep them 10+ years, until I get tired of them. Past cars were 2 Nissan trucks, and a CRV, all which served me very well. So I was excited last year to try a new Subaru CrossTrek. The excitement wore off within several months of driving it. Bought it specifically for the gas mileage. It is a city commuter car for me, and it was barely getting 18 mpg. Called the service dept twice and explained the problem, they said its probably my driving habits, and the car needs to be broken in. Oh really? Never had that problem with the other cars. Here we are a year later, and the city MPG is down to 15. Also, the car takes forever to warm up on these Colorado winter days.

If you drive on the freeway for a solid 2 hours, cruise control set at 65, don't stop for any reason, the road you are traveling is more or less level, and don't run the air-conditioning, it does get 37- 40 mpg's. It handles very well in the snow. Very solid. Once you are seated inside the vehicle, it is very comfortable for driving.

Re-evaluate the gas mileage rating. Fix the air compressor problem, each time it kicks on for the air-conditioner, the car shutters with a thump to the extent that feels like you have just been rear-ended. Redesign windows so that snow and water don't run into the tracks and freeze overnight making the windows impossible to open until it thaws out. (I have to open the window to swipe my parking garage pass, and I have never had any vehicle windows freeze up like they do on the Crosstrek) It is difficult to exit the vehicle, seats are situated too far into the vehicle, making it difficult to get your weight over your feet once you put them on the pavement for exiting.

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review