2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific XV Crosstrek model:
Lack of power/ CVT, delayed acceleration
By av98 on 08/13/14 12:01 PM (PDT)

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

If possible they need to add more power, and subaru need to fix CVT delayed acceleration I guess engine has to be 2.5L or 3.0L or more.. And last thing is the noise!!!!! Its annoying. Everthing else on the car is good..

Not For Big People
By connrailfan on 04/30/14 18:12 PM (PDT)

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I bought my Subaru XV Crosstrek in August of 2013. It was peppy and fun to drive. They are nice looking cars and have a nice feel for the road. Compared with other cars I test drove, the Crosstrek had less modern, and not thought out dashboard. For example: The main gauges are red, which is great at night, but there are two glaring blue panels in the dash too that compete. There aren't as many gauges as other cars too, mostly warning lights. The dash bezels also squeeked on bumps. I'm a 5' 10" man. I had the seat all the way back. Three months with the car I started have back issues from the seats that grew worse. By this spring it was difficult for me to drive for any length of time.

Fun to Drive, but not on long drives
By bobjeeps on 03/16/14 16:30 PM (PDT)

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

Very fun to drive, handles very well around corners, has a very good solid feeling. Easy to get in and out of and to park. Well laid out control panel. Love the looks of the car, I get allot of complements everywhere I go. I'm getting about 26,27 mpg mix driving.

Best Bang for your Buck! 1st Time Subie Owner
By hittheroadjack on 03/09/14 18:57 PM (PDT)

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I purchased my Crosstrek Limited in June, and I am still trying to find excuses to drive it. I love it! It's just the right size for us. Small and nimble enough to navigate the urban 9-5, but large enough for our weekend adventures. Plenty of room for toddlers giant car seats, and the height is ideal for them to get in and out. I have had several 4 cylinder cars, and I think the Crosstrek has more punch than any of my previous ones. It also rides more smooth and quiet. I live in the middle of the city, so I drive mostly stop and go traffic. I am averaging 25.4 MPG since I bought in June. On a long road trip with heavy crosswinds and a loaded car we avg. 32.7 MPG

Always wanted a Subaru and will never get anything else
By emg2211 on 02/22/14 21:11 PM (PST)

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

Love my crosstrek!! First Subaru ever and I should have got one years ago. Had a mazda3 loved it but horrible in the snow (nurses can't call out for snow storms) and horrible MPGs. So after 5 yrs of almost dying every snow storm in MA I made the choice to get my Subaru and I haven't looked back. I love it. It's safe, great MPGs, awesome in the snow and enough room for friends and my giant dog. If you are looking for a crossover SUV look into it. I will say downsizing engines took a few wks to get used to, pick up isn't as good but it still gets around great. I have about 6500+miles on it.

Great Value & Fun To Drive
By hudsonvalleyny on 02/12/14 18:41 PM (PST)

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The 5 speed Crosstrek rides smooth and handles well on rough roads. It's easy to maneuver, easy to park, has a very tight turning radius and zips around town handily. On the highway it feels solid and holds its own at high speeds. AWD is amazing in snow. Stated gas mileage is accurate, but I can do better: 26-30 in mixed, 32-34 hwy. Interior is comfortable but spartan.You have the basic features you need and they're all standard. Acceleration is surprisingly quick especially if you wind out the gears. Hills need a downshift. Gas pedal is more responsive than the rubbery CVT pedal. It's not as solid and spacious as our 2014 Forester but gets way better gas mileage. Wheels get attention!

Wish I had bought something else
By gypsygal on 02/09/14 07:16 AM (PST)

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I don't buy cars often and keep them 10+ years, until I get tired of them. Past cars were 2 Nissan trucks, and a CRV, all which served me very well. So I was excited last year to try a new Subaru CrossTrek. The excitement wore off within several months of driving it. Bought it specifically for the gas mileage. It is a city commuter car for me, and it was barely getting 18 mpg. Called the service dept twice and explained the problem, they said its probably my driving habits, and the car needs to be broken in. Oh really? Never had that problem with the other cars. Here we are a year later, and the city MPG is down to 15. Also, the car takes forever to warm up on these Colorado winter days.

I guess it hit or miss with these cars!
By cdhttlr on 01/28/14 21:41 PM (PST)

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I bought my Crosstrek in August and since than have never been able to achieve anything near the EPA fuel mileage of 25 city/33 highway. Best ever was 30 highway and 22 city and its been slowly dropping since new. I now have 3800 miles on it and the last highway trip 100% highway other than 4 on/off ramps. cruise set on 63 the whole time was 26mpg. I struggle now to get 18mpg around town. I even removed the spare tire and jack and rear cargo and floor mats to reduce weight. The dealer says there is nothing wrong with it and is probably my driving. Really than why did every other car that I've owned get better then advertised MPGs? A total of 12 cars total beaters to brand new.

Excellent Performer in Colorado Mountain Snow
By rockymntnguy on 01/14/14 15:48 PM (PST)

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

Bought my Limited 8 months ago. Already 21K on Colorado highways, mountain roads & Denver city streets. Commute from my cabin near Bailey in mountains an hour to downtown Denver. That drive is on Highway 285 up & down from 5,280 to 11,000 ft. Lots of passing. Then on 2 lane county asphalt road for 3 miles from highway. Then county maintained gravel road to my cabin. Have also made many drives on I-70 to for summer hiking & winter skiing areas. Traded a Jeep Commander V-8. Big change. Yes, a 4 cylinder CVT takes some finesse but accelerates and passes just fine. I drive it hard & minimum MPG is 27. Get 31 on easier mountain highway trips. AWD performs well. Very satisfied.

winter heat
By rumely on 01/07/14 06:58 AM (PST)

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

for the most part I was happy with the XV till winter came. it dives fine but there is very low heat out put at the floor. it feels like the AC is on. the dealer pulled it in a heated shop to check it. ? and did not drive it out the back roads like i do to and from work. The heater stays set on high and i never get warm. they said it was working fine. My old VW Bugs had way better heat.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek in VA is:

$139 per month*