Used 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Subaru Xv-crosstrek - Consumer Reviews

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek

View reviews for a specific XV Crosstrek model:

I want to love this car!
By cdough

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have do love everything about this car, except it burns oil SO badly! After almost 40k miles, Subaru is FINALLY replacing the short block, but I'm told this will only change my oil consumption from 1qt. every ~1800 miles to 1qt. every ~3500-4000 miles. :/ The main culprit is the 0-20W synthetic oil, which is WAY too thin to go 7500 miles without an oil change and I plan on switching to a higher weight oil after the warranty is up, even if it means less MPGs. Otherwise, everything else about this car is AWESOME!! Subaru may have lost a Subaru for life customer though. :(

Favorite Features

Style, ground clearance, all weather maneuverability! I love almost everything about it!

Suggested Improvements

The engine! This is the 2nd major engine problem for Subaru since the early 2000s. They should go back to the 2.2L engine from the 90s, which is the BEST engine they ever built! You cannot kill it!

Absolutely Scary On Ice
By rsw4

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

We bought this car based on its value and all we had heard about how great subaru cars are on snow and ice. Unfortunately, the Crosstrek disappoints. We recently made a trip in ny we encountered snowy roads and icy spots. This car fishtails every time you hit an icy spot to the point where you believe you will spin out and constantly makes you feel out of control. It has a floaty feeling like the car is unstable. It is unsafe to have to be doing 40 on thruway a with blinkers on when you are being passed by Camrys and all other SUVs which appear to be in perfect control. This car is just scary to drive on snowy roads! I don't know if it is the cvt or the tires. In any event we will trade

Suggested Improvements

Fix the handling on snow and ice. Shame on Subaru. Someone is going to get killed!

Updated Review
By rivernsnow

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

20 months in (review Feb 2013) I'm loving my XV. The jittery steering calmed down after 1-2 months. Handles great in rain downpours. Driving onto beaches to launch kayaks has been easy when other cars spin wheels. Had enough power at altitude (8,000 Ft.) Front seats very comfortable. Mileage still not as advertised. 26+ MPG on 89 Octane. Minus' are still that power locking automatically actives alarm and paint scratches much too easily. and rear seats need to be more comfortable

Favorite Features

Handling. Looks -actually looks like an SUV, not like an econ hatchback. Good front seats

Suggested Improvements

Tougher paint. No automatic alarming. Needs air venting in rear seating area. Only 1500# towing capacity ( can another 1,000#'s be added without sacrificing performance or?) Better basic stereo needed. And see previous review

19 months in and so in love
By shaina0707

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I reviewed my car at 3 months, and at 19 months and 20,000 miles later, I can confidently say that this is the best car I've ever owned (I was loyal to Toyota in the past). I've seen lots of complaints on gas mileage and I just don't understand - I drive quite a bit of city and then some highway to work and I average 27.5 in winter and 29.5 in summer. My mom drives all short city trips and is closer to 25.5 (EPA estimate is 23 city, so that makes perfect sense). I've been out in several Cleveland snowstorms and the handling was so amazing and I felt so safe. My husband loves it so much that in bad weather he will not take out his 4WD Trailblazer but instead uses my car. I LOVE THIS CAR!!!!

Favorite Features

AWD, Gas mileage, rear view camera, heated leather seats, cargo cover, folding rear seats

Don't bother buying
By luism2013

2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

Car consumes way to much oil for a brand new car. Never thought I would spend so much on just oil. Spend more time getting oil for the car then I do getting gas. My oil light came on right after I purchased the vehicle and had the dealer see what was wrong they said it was just low. After topping it off I began my trip home and on an empty road the oil light came on had to drive it several hundred me to get oil. Took it in to a dealer and say the car normally burns 1 quart every 1200 miles. You do an oil change every 7000 miles that's 5-6 quarts of oil at 10 bucks a quart. Never had any problems. So with other vehicles first and last subaru I personally buy. Also the car over revs.

Favorite Features

The looks of the car aren't bad. Also not bad looking on the interior. The handling is also good on the vehicle. Everything else you can find e on any other car.

Suggested Improvements

Should burn so much oil. Subaru needs to fix this problem and reimburse owners. Or at least have dealers inform customers they will have to fill the oil as much as you do gas. If making trips make sure you carry pack oil with you. The vehicle over revs a lot and does not pick up speed quick therefor is over working for no reason.