2008 Subaru Tribeca - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tribeca model:
Annoyed and Disappointed
By Carol on 02/04/10 07:33 AM (PST)

2008 Subaru Tribeca 5-Pass 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

Have had this car for almost two years now, and the warranty is about to run out. It's been in three times for warranty fixes (CD player jammed, mechanical issue front right drive train, climate control). And now -- after three visits during which the mechanics agreed there was a problem with the climate control -- I am told the system is functioning "normally." So why is it blowing cold air when I have the temp set to 72? My 3-year-old is freezing in the back seat. Enough with this car... I'm going back to an Outback.

don't do it
By dissappointed on 01/11/10 04:08 AM (PST)

2008 Subaru Tribeca 5-Pass 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I had a forester before the tribeka. Loved it and decided to stay with subaru. I have been so very disappointed with the tribeka. Sure it rides well and is easy to handle, but the small gas tank is a BIG problem!!! i have to fill the gas tank every two or three days and find myself almost running out of gas on a regular basis. I have had the car for 2 years and i still cant get used to this.This is a major design flaw. At 18 mpg (ouch) the tank should be a 2 gallon and not 15.

Pleased
By Sonny on 12/13/09 18:13 PM (PST)

2008 Subaru Tribeca 5-Pass 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

This vehicle has just been fantastic. I love the handling, and since the 30,000 mile service I love it even better. Subaru has taken exceptional care of this vehicle and at 34,000, I will be extending the warranty, until they make a 6-speed tranny, then I'll move up to that model.

2008 Subaru Tribeca Review
By Nor Cal on 10/28/08 14:20 PM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Tribeca 5-Pass 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I have had the Tribeca since April 2008 and put almost 6000 miles on it so far. The handling of the AWD Tribeca is darn near neutral and the turn in spot on. its fun to drive and comfortable on road trips or in town. The interior and exterior looks compliment each other. I use the transmission in sport mode all the time, either leaving it in drive or shifting up and down. the engine is a lot more responsive & mileage doesn't seem to suffer. One thing that bugs me is that the transmission shifting seems out of sync with the engine at times. The Tribeca doubles well as a tent and carries a lot of "stuff". I don't like the puddle lights though but that's a nil point IMO. Next thing is XM radio.

Mixed Bag
By Mr. Subaru on 10/28/08 09:41 AM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Tribeca 5-Pass 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

The 08 Tribeca is a mix of great features and questionable design components. The Tribeca is solidly built and handles like a car. The engine is powerful, and the transmission shifts smoothly. Steering and braking are crisp. The cargo area is surprisingly small for a vehicle this size, a tight fit for dogs. The gas mileage is poor (17 mpg mixed) compared to other vehicles in this category, and is compounded by a small gas tank which results in a VERY, VERY short driving range. I was spoiled by my 06 Outback's 500 mile range. The thick A pillar makes turning corners a challenge if pedestrians are present.

Good Value
By Scott on 10/03/08 10:36 AM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Tribeca 5-Pass 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

Have had the basic 5 person version for several months. We researched literally ever vehicle except this one, but drove it because dealership also had them. What a great car for the $$. Liked most everything from the start and the concerns (the cockpit design) have grown on us. If it is good in snow as its supposed to be then it will be a "10"

New Subaru Tribeca owner
By Brenda on 05/22/08 17:59 PM (PDT)

2008 Subaru Tribeca 5-Pass 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I recently purchased the Tribeca. I previously owned a Mercedes SUV and a Toyota Highlander. I love the interior and features but I don't care for the ride. It is very bumpy and I am sensitive to motion. The Toyota gave a much much better ride and I am sorry I didn't buy it out of the lease. I was swayed by the features I didn't have in the Highlander like heated seats, memory seats, outside temp reading, etc. The insurance is a fortune-my bad for not checking. They say it is because it costs so much to fix and the excise tax is very high which I didn't factor in. Factor in all your costs before making this purchase!

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.