Used 1996 Saturn S-Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Saturn S-Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:

Run It Forever
By RS

1996 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

I have put a tremendous amount of miles on this car. I am up to 116000, and besides needing a new radiator and clutch(to be expected on any car with that milage), it runs great. Starts instantly no matter how cold it is. The best part is how I can just get in it and take it on a road trip anywhere, and never have to worry about. It is amazingly comfortable since the driving position is ideal. Everything is within reach, and the seat is highly adjustable for any driver. I am six feet tall and am plenty comfortable. Build quality does stink though, many rattles and squeaks. But overall reliability and gas milage is great! Great first car!!!

Quick boost of high-end torque helps with merging/Comfort/Gasoline Milage/RELIABILITY!

Needed overall better build quality to eleimate the millions of squeeks and rattles. But that was apparently adressed in 1999 with the mild redsign, and again in the Ion.

Good car but not without faults
By Debra Kelly

1996 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

Initially, I was very happy with my Saturn. I have owned it for 4 1/2 yrs and put over 80,000 miles on it myself. It had 37k when I purchased it. Now that it has over 126,000 ,and an oil leak and I am at the end of the loan....it needs to be replaced. Door locks and windows are broke and repairs for these components are several hundred dollars EACH. The repairs I have had to make are identical to the repairs reported by other Saturn owners in this review.

Reliability to a point....

better engine...capable of handling more than 120,000 miles.

Great small car
By drizzlemiao

1996 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

This is a durable american car if you drive it with good maintanance.Good condition can be achieved even after 7 years use.

Will buy another if this one ever stops.
By deb

1996 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

The best buying experience ever. No pressure, no hassles, no crap. The best running vehicle I have ever owned. May not be fast and furious, but it is pretty quick. Handling is exception for this price range. Had to take it in for some warranty work on one occasion (tranny module), excellent experience there also. No running problems or cosmetic problems at all.

Very nice running, clean, economical car.

Since I am a big fat person, getting rid of the armrest/console would be nice, but I guess I could take that out if I wanted to.

Never again...
By jvt

1996 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

This is the 2nd Saturn that I have purchased (the first was an SC2). Everything is alright until it hits 60,000--then it's downhill from there. Now I have an oil leak to take care of. Thankfully I just purchased a new Jeep Cherokee, so I don't have to drive that piece of junk (I still have the Saturn 'cause the dealership offered very little and I still have another year to pay it off!).

I have no complaints about the inside, although my father who is 6'2" had a hard time getting into the car. He hated it.

I don't know where to start...