Used 2004 Pontiac GTO Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Pontiac Gto - Consumer Reviews

2004 Pontiac GTO Coupe

Base 5.7L V8 4-speed Automatic - (237 reviews )

Garbage
By sixatbat1

2004 Pontiac GTO Coupe 2dr Coupe (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

Bought used with 65,000 miles. 6 speed manual. It was a great performer and very fun to drive, but had a plethora of problems. After I got rid of my Ford Ranger 4x4 (daily driver) this became my daily. Whenever I would accelerate and bring the car to about 4300 rpm, all electronics would cut off and the headlights would get brighter, sometimes causing the bulbs to blow. Had an airbag light go on for no reason and it seemed to fix itself. Rode like crap, handling was mediocre, and build quality was less than spectacular. But it sure sounded good. I blew mustangs away all the time. It can also lay down rubber like nobody's business too. And fuel milage was surprisingly good. Almost 30 MPG hwy.

Favorite Features

Highway fuel milage, performance

Suggested Improvements

Electronics terrible, radio turned on/off by itself, handling/ride quality sucks, cheap plastic interior

Bought used with 7,000 miles
By kev924

2004 Pontiac GTO Coupe 2dr Coupe (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

I bought the car used in August of 2012 with 7,000 miles. It was the best bang (horsepower) for the buck I found while car shopping. I use the car as my daily driver. Plenty of power for everyday driving. Passing people is a breeze. No mechanical problems to date.

Favorite Features

Powerful engine, sleek interior, bucket seats, leather, and the car has a rarity factor because you don't see a million of them on the road like mustangs. It's nice driving something a bit different. The car has the look of a modern day sports coupe versus an aggressive muscle car look. I like the sports coupe look because it gives you more of a low profile.

Suggested Improvements

My only complaint is handling. A car with this amount of horsepower needs better handling and steering response. It's not terrible, but not as good as my prior cars.

2004 bought used
By gm_dave

2004 Pontiac GTO Coupe 2dr Coupe (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased a one owner clean carfax GTO in December, 2012. The car developed some strange problems including the rocker panels filling with water (removing drain plugs solved the problem), which caused the interior floor to flood after it rained. The horn also went off randomly by itself and the air bag fault alarm was triggered by the airbag sensor located under the passenger seat. I had all of the aforementioned issues resolved and the car has been great since.

Favorite Features

Performance and value for price paid. Unique car as only imported from 2004-2006 from GM Australia.

Suggested Improvements

Too late for improvements as Pontiac has ended production. However, the new Impala SS is also an import from GM Australia. GTO only had a 4 speed automatic as an option so the 6 speed automatic on the Impala SS will be a welcome improvement for improved gas mileage. I get about 19 mpg in combined driving with premium fuel (recommended).

The best car I'll ever own!
By jere

2004 Pontiac GTO Coupe 2dr Coupe (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

I've only owned my 04 GTO for a little over a week now, but have loved them ever since they re-released them. In this short time, I've come to the solemn reality that this is the best car I'll ever own! Everything about the way the car drives, handles, accelerates, brakes, was designed to perfection. Everyday I make a boring drive to a boring job, but I'm smiling ear-to-ear both to and from! My GTO is black, with black windows and black rims- very sleek. Anytime I'm just cruising around, I constantly see people turning their heads to watch me drive by and listen to the wonderful low rumble. I haven't pinpointed it yet- but there is just something about this car that is just menacing.

Favorite Features

Power, acceleration, ease of shifting, the sound of the engine, handling,

Suggested Improvements

Why is there no power lock button? Sunroof would be nice. Maybe I just haven't figured out how to change the setting yet, but when you lock with the button it honks 5 times very loudly- very annoying. "Hey everyone- look at me! I just parked!"

Car of my Dreams
By spitfirefl

2004 Pontiac GTO Coupe 2dr Coupe (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

I am the original owner of my GTO and it fits me perfectly, It should have had two hood scoops, but it actually keeps me "under the radar". Great to drive, extremely reliable. They'll have to pry it out of dead hands. Best car I have ever owned. If i get a new car, I will still have my GTO.

Favorite Features

All of it!