1996 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Coupe - Consumer Reviews

SL 3.1L V6 4-speed Automatic - (13 reviews )
Junk
By rcondran on 07/15/14 07:24 AM (PDT)

1996 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Coupe SL 2dr Coupe

My 1996 Cutlass Supreme SL is the reason Oldsmobile went under. The stereo quit after 6 months - was replaced under warranty with what turned out to be a "refurbished" unit - tape deck quit right after the warranty ran out. Head gasket blew at 49,000 miles. Intake gasket went at 56,000 miles - found out the intake was cracked when I was replacing the gasket. Tranny died at 100,000 miles. I'm honestly afraid to drive this car more than walking distance from my house - and don't. I drove a 1975 Cutlass I inherited from Virginia last summer - I'm restoring it to replace my 1996...I felt safer driving the 1975 than I do my '96.

I love my Olds but...
By cjochum on 06/09/08 12:53 PM (PDT)

1996 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Coupe SL 2dr Coupe

I bought my Olds in 2002, it has been a pretty dependable car except its air conditioning system seems strange, as well as the problems I have with the drivers side door handle. I have replaced it and it seems to have them same problem only after a year. The air conditioner also seems to go off when going up hills. Also my cd player steals my cd's. I put one in and I might get it back that day or maybe a week later. Who knows?

My Best Companion
By cuzndotdot1 on 05/29/08 14:06 PM (PDT)

1996 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Coupe SL 2dr Coupe

I have owned my Cutlass for over ten years. Mileage to date is just over 207,000. I have had to do the regular maintenance repairs--intake manifold gasket (which I discovered has been replaced by a higher quality gasket); various sensors; injectors cleaned. Head gasket began leaking around 140,000 miles; catalytic converter replaced at 180,000 just to be preventive; tranny was replaced right at 200,000 miles. All in all, this car has been very reliable--even predictable in its repairs. More than one mechanic has asked me to buy it. My response? "NO WAY!" She still looks and sounds like new!

96Cutlass SL
By Bill Lockard on 05/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Coupe SL 2dr Coupe

i have not had an problems and im second owner of the vehicle with the 3.1L engine

Smooth Ride
By cutlasscrusin2003 on 09/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Coupe SL 2dr Coupe

I absolutely love my cutlass it handles like my uncles nice new sporty RSX but its alot more comfy. It gets great milage and aslo has alot of getup'n go off the line. Shes a great daily driver and i love every minute in the car.

Worst car I ever owned...
By Helicon Twist on 01/24/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Coupe SL 2dr Coupe

...despite meticulous upkeep. Acceleration, braking, and turning similar to sinking garbage barge. Same barge must have been the source for parts, too - worst build quality I've ever seen. Reliability, maintainability were a joke: After two alternators, a dozen brake rotors, an oil leak, a vacuum leak, a hundred other problems, and finally the fuel pump (on a four year old car!), the maintenance costs were killing me.

Death of and olds
By musicdude on 01/23/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Coupe SL 2dr Coupe

I bought my 2-door cutlass supreme with 72k miles on it. until recently I was quite impressed. The car really pulls double duty as a sports car and as a smooth riding family type car. But it has fallen apart under me. There is a problem with the brake lock, and I have a hard time shifting it out of park, and the real problem is that GM had a bad year with gaskets. Unfortunatly for me I ended up draining radiator fluid into the engine and it is now dead. A dead car at 92k miles is not what i expected. I don't think most people will get hit with an engine swap, but I really just wanted people to know about the problem.

96 supreme
By danh on 10/22/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Coupe SL 2dr Coupe

when i first got my car i had a lot of things go wrong with it, but now everything is working perfectly. i love the way it handels, but i think that 2nd gear is set at to low of a ratio. mine is a 96 with a 3.1. but i have managed to get it up to around 200hp. i also love the 5 spoke wheels that came with it. im going to get some 17's or 18's in the near future. screw a system this car already sounds awsome with out it.

My Cutlass
By skinet on 07/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Coupe SL 2dr Coupe

This Car still gets glances for its modern styling. Many people do not know what kind of car it is and think it is a foreign sporty car. Often people can't get in because the door knobs are not in the normal place. Also, due to its styling it appears smaller than it really is.

Mine
By crazycarl999 on 07/21/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Coupe SL 2dr Coupe

I love this car. I've had two and wouldn't trade it for anything. Only problems I've had are with the brakes, they seem kinda hard to me. Oh well, I'll make do with