Used 2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Eclipse model:

OK Overall
By Bit

2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 2dr Hatchback

When I first drove my 2000 Eclipse GT off the lot I loved it. I loved the power of the torque pushing me back in the seat and the looks of the car. I even like the sound of the exaust note. A couple of years later, I still drive it and like the power. The engine is as reliable as when I drove it off the lot. The rest of the car has had minor wear and tear issues. But, the car has been the best new car I have owned. I have not had major issues. I like the storage space in the back which shrinks away with the newer models. I can fit my whole mountain bike in the back without disassembling it and just go. I do think the car could be lighter and be tighter on cornering.

The engine torque, rear storage, and looks.

Give it sturdier suspension parts and better handling.

Loved This Car
By webmaiden

2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car brand new in 8-00. I have never had a minute's trouble except one time when the battery died. Other than that, I kept up with the normal maintenance, including oil changes, filters, tire rotations, tranny flush, timing belt, etc. I absolutely loved this car. I had it until the other day when a car ran a red light and I hit it. The airbags deployed and I walked away without a scratch. The car, however, suffered more damage than it was worth. I was very upset about having to give it up. I'd probably buy another Eclipse, but would definitely upgrade. P.S. I got a great insurance settlement!

I felt it really had nice pick up, especially at higher speeds (65+) it had that little extra umph I needed to pass. I also liked that it always looked stylish, never outdated.

Why black interiors? I live in Florida! Black is hot!

Still love it!
By Temple

2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 2dr Hatchback

After two years of ownership, I still look at my 2000 Eclipse the same way I did when I got it. "Buyers' Remorse" has yet to set in. Although it's considered a bit older design now, it still looks pretty on the road and can proudly be displayed right up front in any parking lot. With proper care and maintenance I've had no problems. She rides smoothly on the highway and has the power when I need it. North American car makers should've taken note...the Eclipse is a sweet looking car that's fun to drive at a very reasonalble price. This is a winning combination. Given the choice over again I would have NO hesitation on purchasing the same vehicle.

I like the looks. No matter where I go and park I can proudly hold my head up knowing that it is always one of the better looking in the lot. I also like the power that it posseses. In this case you CAN "tell a book by it's cover" and the performance will not let you down.

Poor visibility: You really have to be careful when making lane changes and such as it has severe blindspots. I overcome that to an extent by convex mirror attachments but I'm still very careful. They also need to watch the quality on some interior plastics as some have come off.

Good for A While
By Midwest Kid

2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback

My 2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse ran excellent for the first 50,000 miles. Then it started to have a few little problems - the front tire kept going flat, brakes were bad, a water leak. Nothing major, but annoying. Mine has 75,000 miles on it and still has no major issues. It gets great gas mileage and is actually quite pleasant on a long road trips, as long as there is only two people. However, it surprisingly can carry a lot. The ground clearance is minimal so I have bumper damage.

The great gas mileage and surprising room for skis, furniture, etc.

Give it higher ground clearance. Also, slightly more interior room would be nice.

Fun to drive when it runs.
By R Harry

2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 2dr Hatchback

I love my 2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse. It is fun to drive and very versitile. I only wish this car was more dependable. I have become good friends with my mechanic and the process of towing.

The sporty looks and how fun it is to drive.

• SUV