My Favorite Little Red Car
By bveracka7 on
2004 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)
This car is a blast to drive. The first thing people notice is how roomy the interior is for a car that is so small. I love the size, it is just right for me. The Mini S gives you the best of both worlds; it's speedy as heck and rides like a European sportscar but doesn't waste too much fuel. I get an average of 35mpg, but you get a lot less if you drive fast. Main things I like are the interior set-up; the dash is beautifully shaped and covered with nice material that's easy to keep clean. I like how the switches & controls are centralized around the console and steering wheel. The interior is not small compared with the outside, and it gives you that feeling of being safe that only a European car gives. When you drive the Mini, you won't feel like you're in a claustrophobic box but rather a pretty comfy sportscar! I've used it to commute 35 miles each way Monday thru Friday for the past 3 months with no complaints or problems. I found mine at a repo-auction where I got a great price on it, although it had 103K miles, it was a clean Florida car with no issues and a pretty reasonable price for me. I will be investing in a different set of wheels and tires for the winter though, as the 17-inch custom wheels & tires don't like snow at all and I can't drive in the heavy snow. I have been told by a fellow Mini owner that with the right tires and wheels, the car will deal with the snow much better.
Favorite Features
This car gives you a great feeling of truly driving the car especially with it's beautiful 6-Speed manual transmission. The Mini S makes you feel like a real driver. This transmission is set-up just right to accomodate the different driving styles and situations you will encounter on the road. Comfortable and stylish interior is something I've always been serious about, after-all that's where you sit. The Mini's INTERIOR is very comfortable, especially considering how small the car is. The first thing people mention when they get in it is how roomy the interior feels. The seats feel like they belong in a much bigger car, as they're very big and comfy. Although the back-seats have been called a joke by many, they are fine for short rides and my buddies gladly hop in the back. Fold the seats down and there's plenty of space for my music amplifier and instruments. EXTERIOR - I really like the way this car looks. Every little detail makes it look great, including the double sun-roof, functional rally lights, hood-scoop, and so much more! Little things like fast heat even when it's really cold, the windshield-wiper & washing fluid system is great, it's nice to have a rear wiper with a fluid-sprayer too. Another final and big selling point is the great gas mileage you get with this car. Of course because it's supercharged it doesn't get the same mileage as the regular model but 35mpg is great for a car that drives like this! If you have been thinking about buying a Mini, now is the time to do it!
Suggested Improvements
There are not many things that I can say that the British Motor Company could've done better with this car. They really covered all their bases here for what they were trying to do. Although the "trunk" is really small compared to a regular trunk, the fold-down seats help if you have a lot of luggage. As I try to think of ways to improve the Mini S, it becomes obvious that the BMC already thought of these things. This is a truly awesome little car and I have no complaints with it whatsoever. It is the first really cool car I've ever owned so I guess I can't compare years of having other nice cars to it, but I know a good car when I drive one, especially now that I've owned it for a while. Any shortfalls with this car are made-up for with this car's base concept of a fun, upgraded and modernized re-issue of an old classic. In many ways, this car just can't be beat if you want to have an exciting, fun, stylish, and economical car.