2000 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Class model:
Buyer should know better...
By jbrtoo on 10/13/12 09:07 AM (PDT)

2000 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S500 4dr Sedan

When you bought an older S-class, you should have expected it to cost you $$$ in repairs. My 2000 S500 has cost me $12,000 in repairs since I bought it 4 years ago. Now that sounds like a lot, but when you spread it over the 4 years, it has cost me $250 per month to drive the sweetest production car on the road. When you throw in depreciation, it has cost me about $400 per month to drive it. Show me a comparable vehicle that you can drive for that cost--it's not out there. So although the S500 gives you heartache and wallet-ache at times, do the math and you'll realize it has been well worth it!

BEAUTIFUL DRAMA QUEEN
By mylexgs300 on 05/08/12 11:08 AM (PDT)

2000 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S500 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car used in January of 2012 with 480k miles. Now, before you think I'm crazy, my reasoning was that after I test driving the car, it appeared to be mechanically sound in every way. The engine was as quiet as if it had 60k miles and the transmission shifted to perfection. Being a long time lover of Lexus, I can now appreciate the maintenance-free GS300. Since purchasing the car, I've replaced the water pump and the pulley, along with the brakes and rotors all around. So far my air suspension has been fine, although I suspect the ball joints will need replacing soon. Despite that, I'm very happy with the car. It's a joy to drive and gets a lot of attention.

They Call it Misery
By Benz Boy on 01/04/09 18:52 PM (PST)

2000 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S500 4dr Sedan

Beautiful car in design. That's where the enjoyment ceases. This car is like a beautiful woman with a bad personality and poor morals. Great to look at, but once you touch it your wallet and health go south. Mercedes knew this car was a piece of trash when they built it. My car has 64,548 miles and it has managed to go through two A/C systems, CD player, window electrical problems, brakes, transmission replacement and so forth. It's fun to drive when it finally runs, but it's best to keep a good wrecker service on call at all times. Mercedes lied to their customer base and myself about this car. I will never drive another one unless it's a vintage 560 sel or 560 sl.

Poor delivery, poor dealership
By ad wood on 04/19/08 16:23 PM (PDT)

2000 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S500 4dr Sedan

Maintenence expense for this car exceeded $10,000 in the first two years. The quality was a disgrace. Major components had to be replaced. Finally found an independent machanic who virtually rebuilt it for us. Now it is a great car. Mercedes should be ashamed of the quality of this car.

Great car; expensive to maintain
By Stephen on 02/05/07 04:53 AM (PST)

2000 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S500 4dr Sedan

Overall, this is a very beautiful car that is fun to drive. However, the maintenance, even routine, is very expensive at the MZB dealers. The car is fun to drive with a smooth, solid ride, and makes long trps enjoyable. Even police officers have commented on what a beautiful car it is. I have had to pat to replace the left headlamp assembly, and the locking gas cap several times. The entire driver's seat assembly, had to be flown in from Germany and replaced, but fortunately I had purchased an extended warranty. The entire steering assembly also went out. Being so heavy, the car needs frequent brake repairs, and goes through tires quite quickly. Nevertheless, I just love this car!

Wake up, Mercedes
By Paul on 09/25/06 14:24 PM (PDT)

2000 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S500 4dr Sedan

This is my 7th Mercedes.The previous six were outstanding but this one is terrible. I had 3 Jaguars ('97, '00 and '03) after my 6th and I am going back. This car has 95,000 miles and in the last 2 years, radio broke-(chip-$500), air suspension-($800), lower control arms and bushings-($1,000), and right now, the AC, the passenger side window , the parking sensor mechanism, the seat memory, the seat messagers, the CD changer, the seat memories all don't work, and rust is developing at the bottom of all 4 doors and behind the rear license plate even though is is meticulously maintained. I now have 3 friends with the S series who have sworn off them and never coming back.

Business Car that has been reliable
By David Thompson on 11/30/05 09:41 AM (PST)

2000 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S500 4dr Sedan

I bought the car used with only 43000 miles on it. Have driven it mostly for business trips on the road and have enjoyed the acceleration, the room for clients in the back seat, the smoooooth ride and the impression the car makes. Beautiful finish on exterior. Have only had to replace a set of brakes and two tires. But I DID purchase an extended warranty to be safe. I have really enjoyed driving this car!

I won't buy another one
By wcw on 12/20/04 13:35 PM (PST)

2000 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S500 4dr Sedan

My 2000 Mercedes-Benz S500 has been a huge disappointment. In May 2000 I experienced many problems with it, at only 7,468 miles. Again on 8/26/2000 I experienced multitude of problems, at 11,114 miles. And again on 9/2001 at 19,492 miles. On 10/18/02 at 28,231 miles I had to pay $376 in addition to warranty covered items. On 3/03 I experienced more problems, including a defective "adc." In 2004 the electric seat became inoperative and left front door control module replaced to a tune of $980. On 11/13/04 I had to get a new air suspension pump for $500. This car's fuel gauge is still inoperative, I have not fixed it yet. I'll measure it with a stick rather than pay for a new one. This is my second and final Mercedes. It's hard to believe you can pay $90,000 for a car you only drive 8,000 miles/year and be faced with this lemon.

Sexy POS
By esntrk1 on 09/30/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S500 4dr Sedan

If you don't want drama, do not buy this car!! It car is a maintenance nightmare. Do not buy it used without an exteneded warranty!! You are asking for financial ruin!! This car cost me nearly 10k in maintenace this year alone!! Read the many horror stories at www.mbworld.com. Then if you still must have the car, lease or buy it new and get rid of it before the warranty expires. People ask me all the time about my S500 and I tell them to buy the Lexus LS430. It will actually increase your quality of life by reducing your stress level and maintaining your net worth.

Mercedes
By persian man on 05/17/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sedan S500 4dr Sedan

This vehicle is one of a kind. I have never experienced such a maginificent car. I have owned BMW's and Jaguars, but Mercedes is in a league of its own. Mercedes is by far makes the best sedan under 150000 dollars.