Used 2005 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Diesel Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Mercedes-benz E-class - Consumer Reviews

2005 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Diesel

E320 CDI 3.2L 6-cyl. Turbo Diesel 5-speed Automatic - (62 reviews )

MB E320 CDI
By RBinford

2005 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Diesel E320 Rwd CDI 4dr Sedan (3.2L 6cyl Turbodiesel 5A)

We had a 2002 Mercedes C230 prior to this vehicle and it was wonderful. However, after having a child we decided that we needed a larger car. We looked at all of the different models of the E-Class and decided after driving all and talking with our sales rep that the 2005 E320 CDI was our best option. We haven't regreted it one moment.

Favorite Features

The great fuel economy (gets at least 650 miles per tank before we have to refill).

Suggested Improvements

None

Marylander
By Marlylander

Since the new CDI arrived, I had been wanting to buy one. I have been happy ever since I bought this car. It is fun to drive, and gets more than excellent gas mileage. I average 650 miles between fill-ups. Then interior is comfortable and well designed. Sound system is great also.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage and stereo system

Suggested Improvements

The in dash navigation system should dim and stay dim. The flickering display is the only improvement I would suggest.

A diesel MB charmer
By Steve Glauser

When 1) Premium gas goes north of $2.30/gal; 2) you change jobs and started commuting 50 mi/day roundtrip on one of Atlanta's most congested roads and 3) the tranny in your 2002 Lincoln LSE is replaced at 26k miles, you buy a Benz turbodiesel. The new diesel technology is going to tramp hybrid into the ground IMHO. It's not the road warrior the LS was, but it's darn close. Cabin is much better suited to the long commute - better seats, stereo, NVH isolation. Torque spoils you immediately; HP has no meaning when the car locomotive pulls you to an easy 80mph cruise with no sign of power dropoff. I try not to subscribe to society's definition of success, but I feel like I've arrived in m E320 CDI.

Favorite Features

Torque! Capri blue metallic moves from blue to purple to black depending on the light. Overall refinement of the car from powertrain to the smooth wheel edges that aren't curb targets. The not- so-subtle diesel clack at idle. Puddle and footwell and ambient lights. Curvaceous dash panel. Panache.

Suggested Improvements

What, no compass? $2.95 per call for TeleAid directions if I don't have the luxury package? Cheap HVAC and radio control rotary knobs. Dealer experience was atrocious (what ELSE did they forget to mention?) No more free maintenance in '05 (sheesh). Longevity of command control buttons on the wheel?

2005 Mercedes E320 CDI
By G. Ward

I have been very pleased with my E320 CDI in the year I have had it. My mileage has been between 33 and 35 mpg, and even higher on longer trips. The car has excellent pickup and is much better than the diesels I have owned in the past. The only problem I have had is that the clock in the dash gains a couple minutes a month and it is not exactly easy to reset. The dealer told me that this gain per month is within tolerances, but none of my clocks gained that much in the past. I have had one burned taillight in the year I've had the car, and one recall to repair the computer assisted brake system. All in all, it is an excellent car.

Favorite Features

Excellent economy for a larger car. Excellent pick-up. Comfortable ride. Quieter than previous diesels.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the clock so that it keeps more accurate time and is easier to reset.

One VERY Happy Camper
By flaman

Averaging 31 MPG or mixed highway and (limited) city driving. Quiet inside the vehicle and no diesel odors. Unbelievable response when the accelerator is pushed.

Favorite Features

European Delivery Program. 600 miles between fill-ups.

Suggested Improvements

Re-position the Cruise Control stalk away from the turn signal stalk.